Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 06:05 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times

Advertisements

You might want to mix up your routine by adding different activities such as running, swimming, participating in group sports that will give you a good workout. Soccer and basketball come to mind immediately, or do an aerobics class. Just something new, challenging and interesting enough to keep you moving until you really want to get back to the gym routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:40 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
I was moving right along.. slowly working up a momentum at the gym with a coach in a wellness program..went for three months straight.. losing weight, getting strong, feeling great!!!
Then had to be away for a month .. now I've returned I've lost my enthusiasm and motivation. Even though I have gone back to the gym I am troubled the former lift I used to get is gone..the gym has lost its allure, I've lost my fire. How can I re-energize my brain and feel a passion for it again? I've even done some visualizing and meditation.. but I get nothing. What's missing? What can I do to restore my former fortitude?????? Suggestions are most welcome.
Countryswan,

We all have our ups and downs when it comes to fitness. I don't go to the gym per se, but I simply train at home or wherever I happen to be. There are days i would rather sleep that extra 15 minutes than get out of bed. However, if I did miss a workout, I would feel awful for the remainder of the day. Sometimes for weeks I may not feel passionate at all, but still manage to workout. I can imagine the alternative if I stopped completely. That will NEVER happen.

Jump back into your routine slowly and don't try to do too much at once. Also, try to do something next time you have to be away for an extended period, even if it is as simple as pushups. The key is to stay in the groove and habit of training.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:17 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I have been working out most of my life.

I guess that my tolerance for any type of workout has lessened.

The most I can do is 30 minutes, 5 times a week.......And that is the max.

I have exercise equipment at home. If I had to go to the gym.......oh-my................... the assh***s.....................the inconvenience, the gorgeous young women gawking at me...........I would probably never work-out ever again.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:11 AM

941 posts, read 1,803,252 times
Changing the routine around a bit and utilizing some different equipment
has made a world of difference.. strange how tweaking something opens up new energies.

I never feel like I'm doing enough..and sometimes I just run out of steam.. but I drag myself back there and I have been learning not to jump on the scale as often. It'll just be a nice surprise when I finally do step on.

Have considered juicing to enhance weight loss. Even for a day each week. Not sure if it'll help or hinder.
I made a a tall glass of juice last week with apples, carrots, .... it was very filling and actually uncomfortable.
it filled me up so much, but wonder if it slowed down weight loss because it wasn't enough calories.

The workout has resumed with changes that make it much more interesting.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:48 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
After getting all amped up and pumped for entering the law-enforcement field, my get-up and go was lost after being told I couldn't get into that line of work.
Since that happened in '08, I feel all the hard work I put in just went to waste and I pretty much reverted back to old habits.
Although I'm not as heavy as I was prior to even starting a routine back in '05, part of me still feels that I have to get back down to 180.

Finding a different reason to do it is one of the key things right now.
Another thing I've been told is to find a work-out partner.
Apparently, flying solo is beginning to take its toll on me in this department.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:21 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Do it cause it makes you feel like a sexy beast.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:33 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
I only exercise outside because I hate gyms and love the scenery while working out. Perhaps that's a good alternative for people not motivated to go to one. Although might not be practical if you work during the day away from home.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:39 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Work out even if you're not motivated. I'm experiencing the same thing - I currently don't have enthusiasm for it, the weather's getting cold, we just had a Nor'Easter that knocked out power (no heat, 30-degree night, less-than-stellar home insulation, backed-up fireplace, stress, anyone?), a couple days before that the boss made stuffed shells for everyone, 2 weeks ago was the yearly trip to Florida (restaurant food, no way am I eating broiled fish and a salad no dressing every night)...

Have to drive 2 towns away every day to feed sister's cat, since sister is out of state for 2 weeks...

No enthusiasm -at all- to visit the gym.

But I go anyway. I figure, I'll get enthused again eventually. And while I'm waiting for motivation, my tummy will tighten up some more.
Exactly. Just do it, as Nike says. Motivation is not something that someone else can give you. I find that when I just turn off my brain and do it, I want to keep doing it. Motivation follows action.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:30 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I think this happens to almost everyone. They get psyched up, hit the gym, really enjoy it and get a great feeling from it...but that will fade away...almost like a plateau or the shine on a new relationship.

One thing that helps is having to meet someone there (like a work-out buddy or a trainer). Another thing that helps is to change up the whole routine every few months. That keeps your mind more engaged and it may actually help you be a more well-rounded athlete.

Remove obstacles. Because of my work schedule and always feeling tired and crappy, it was hard for me to keep up the gym habits I had when I was younger and better rested. So I removed the obstacles. I have a gym at my house and a tough musclebound man on a Harley come beat me up 4 times a week for an hour. Expensive? Yes. Best investment I can make (investing in my own health). Yes.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:47 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
[quote=AnonChick;21555354]Do it cause it makes you feel like a sexy beast.[/quote]

Another GREAT comment from A******ck. I have to say, your posts amaze me sometimes.

I read this thread again due to the fact that I have not worked out for over a week. Will try to get back on track this coming monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness