Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 05:45 PM

438 posts, read 1,726,918 times

Advertisements

So I had my mind made up on buying a Powertec Smith machine - it was one recommended in a thread I started a few months ago (online they are $999 without bench or weights). Seemed like it would be relatively safe for me to use by myself and would allow me to do quite a bit. This is the one I'm thinking of buying: Powertec Smith Machine (bench sold separately) - Dick's Sporting Goods

Today when I was shopping, a salesperson at a used equipment store said I'd be better off with a power rack. He said the smith doesn't allow for an arc and squats or bench press will then put more pressure on joints.

If I get a power rack, it seems that it doesn't allow for all the things the smith does - leg stuff especially (curls, extensions). Am I not understanding what a power rack is? And the power rack seems not as safe when lifting alone.

A pro is that the power rack is much cheaper but if I buy a power rack instead, what else will I need? Either way I would need a good bench and weights.

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 05:55 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,848,252 times
Get both in one machine. When I was in the market for a home gym I wanted both so I decided to get the best of both worlds in one machine, this is what I have -

I switch up from smith one day to next few days just using the rack, then back to the smith. Its perfect.

Dont get the Powertec smith becase you will not be able to switch out to free weights. If you really want Powertec, get their powerrack. The Parabody Smith machine from Life Fitness is AMAZING. I wouldnt trade it for the world.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:00 PM

Thanks Lao! Life Fitness and Parabody has gone their separate ways but I have one of the dealers trying to track one down for me The new one that Life Fitness has (Hammer Strength or something like that) doesn't allow for switching out to free weights.

Hope they find one because I don't like dealing with eBay or Craigslist.

ETA: I'd love to rep you but it won't let me

Old 10-28-2011, 11:10 AM

He couldn't find the parabody smith so I have to come up with a different idea or watch craigslist (dislike craigslist - as a single woman, I really dislike going to meet people alone).

In the meantime I picked up a set of dumbbells. I definitely felt the 35s when I carried them from my truck down the stairs into the basement. lol! Going to start the workout that's in The Body Sculpting Bible for Women tonight with the dumbbells (probably not the 35s) We'll see how my muscles feel Sat or Sun

Old 10-28-2011, 11:22 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,848,252 times
Since you have some dumbbells, I suggest just going with the Powertec Powerrack. Get the lat/row attachment and you have a system that you will NEVER outgrow.

Workbench Power Rack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness