Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times

Advertisements

"What I do have a problem with is people who ensure that they become fat throught their lifestyle, and then act like they're victims of factors they can't control, that it's everyone elses faults, blame genetics and pretend like they've tried everything when all they've done is to try a couple of obviously idiotic fad diets, and then go on to the claim that beauty is on the inside, implying that whoever they argue with is an a-hole for being fit."

I agree 100%. There are a lot of excuses out there, and if one truly wants to lose weight they can. Its HARD though, and takes true commitment. But it can be done.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:53 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
How many calories do you eat a day and at the buffet? I doubt I eat as much as you do at a buffet. Chinese food is very light as well as disgusting
i dont really know the answers to these questions as i dont count my calories. i just make adjustments to what i eat depending on my goals at the moment (which are never to lose weight because im getting fat). if your opinion is that chinese food is disgusting, thats fine with me. but im not sure what you mean by it being "very light." i consider chinese food to generally be pretty high calorie food since much of it is fried or stir fried.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
There ARE a lot of people who eat for emotional reasons... they may not tell you that, but they do.

MANY people dont know what TRUE hunger feels like. They know what food cravings feel like, or what 'wanting something to eat' feels like.

Overweight people often have to be taught how to know when their bodies are truly hungry, especially if they've yo-yo dieted their whole lives.

(There is a whole list of foods called "comfort foods," not a coincidence. Fats and carbs are especially comforting, as is chocolate.)
And many people drink, drug and shop lift for emotional reasons. And when counseling is effective and people learn that they cannot drink, do drugs, steal or eat the "wrong" food because it will lead to a binge and destructive behavior than they are on the way to getting better. The only empathy I have for substance abusers or shop lifters or over-eaters is having first hand experience with depression which can be a huge trigger. And i got counseling to avoid the one unhealthy addiction I had that I could not control. It boils down to triggers in the brain and not having the control that limits the behavior. Since one cannot limit the behavior, one needs to avoid it completely.

This is more difficult with food because we cannot avoid eating. BUT we can control WHAT we eat(avoid trigger foods?) and learn to put the fricking fork down!

Strategies like using smaller plates, eating slow and waiting 20 minutes before getting a second helping also work. I'm convinced many get tripped up by the 20 minute delay in our brain recognizing our stomach is full.

And yeah, when I was overweight, the fatty steaks with butter on top and the cheeseburgers and fries tasted good. But I found healthier foods that also taste good and now if I eat anything too fatty or oily I get indigestion. My body adapted to leaner foods.
Oh, and exercise is my ally. It battles depression and frustration, lifts the moods and gives me some wiggle room to still eat the occasional deep dish pizza or piece of cake/pie.

And most people can make time for exercise, but rationalize excuses to not do it because, guess what, it can be hard and sweaty. But there are very few who cannot go for a brisk 30-40 minute walk-which is a good start.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:35 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Maybe TJ thinks being healthy and losing weight aren't the same?
(Just taking a guess)
I think she maybe comfortable because she is in the south,and almost everyone around is the same weight as her.
In other threads where TJ was,she would state she likes her breast and rear. She also would say even if she loses 100 pounds she would still be considered fat.
She also would call thin posters twigs.
Idk,but it sounds to me like she is comfortable with her size.
i think she has conditioned herself to pretend to be comfortable with her size. she knows she doesnt want to change her diet, so may as well pretend you have some good physical attributes. people do this all the time, you adjust your mentality to accept your reality because otherwise you would live life hating yourself.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:57 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think she has conditioned herself to pretend to be comfortable with her size. she knows she doesnt want to change her diet, so may as well pretend you have some good physical attributes. people do this all the time, you adjust your mentality to accept your reality because otherwise you would live life hating yourself.
BINGO!!! You totally nailed it with this post. Absolutely true!!

Old 11-18-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
CaptainNJ Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u
Maybe TJ thinks being healthy and losing weight aren't the same?
(Just taking a guess)
I think she maybe comfortable because she is in the south,and almost everyone around is the same weight as her.
In other threads where TJ was,she would state she likes her breast and rear. She also would say even if she loses 100 pounds she would still be considered fat.
She also would call thin posters twigs.
Idk,but it sounds to me like she is comfortable with her size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
BINGO!!! You totally nailed it with this post. Absolutely true!!
When addicts do this and it's called DENIAL.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:37 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
I don't believe that all obese people have some mental issue going on,and that would apply to druggies as well.
Most people overeat because they want to,plus most people enjoy eating.
With me,I didn't care about health issues down the road,I just wanted something tasty in my mouth.
Wasn't depressed,all I knew was that I was hungry and to get rid of being hungry,I needed to eat,and it had to be something good,like pizza.

Then again,I think overeating was physical for me because I worked 72 hours,including nights,and sleeping and eating patterns were thrown off base. Almost all the hours were siting down.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:48 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:

With me,I didn't care about health issues down the road,I just wanted something tasty in my mouth.
So you are putting taste ahead of your health. You know that something is not good for you, but you do it anyway. How is this not a mental issue?

And I suffered from this as well. For me, there WERE reasons behind why I didn't value myself enough to take care of me.

And aren't you a nurse? Don't you see firsthand the effects of not taking care of yourself?

I guess it's no different from doctors and nurses who smoke.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I don't believe that all obese people have some mental issue going on,and that would apply to druggies as well.
Most people overeat because they want to,plus most people enjoy eating.
Wasn't depressed,all I knew was that I was hungry and to get rid of being hungry,I needed to eat,and it had to be something good,like pizza.

Then again,I think overeating was physical for me because I worked 72 hours,including nights,and sleeping and eating patterns were thrown off base. Almost all the hours were siting down.
Forgive me for not having enough recall on your past posts, but have you been able to change these habits?

You bring up a good point, with some overeating maybe due to mental issues with some due to bad self discipline and others a combination of both.
I have read lack of proper sleep increases likelihood of obesity.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:57 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Quote:
I agree that ALL of them dont eat for emotional reasons. I just wanted to make a point that many do, especially women.

And i wasnt discussing it for it to be an "excuse" for anyone, it's a fact.

Anything that can be studied to help people conquer their weightloss problems helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness