Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:28 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I don't know what you are reading from but my grandfather (who was obese, born 1932 died in 2007) lived until his 70s. Human life expectancy is around 77 years old.

Living in poverty is unfortunate but as long as I get my EBT & other government assistance I am good to go. Not that I, or anyone for that matter, could choose to be born with rich or poor parents in the first place.
You've already told us that your parents and other relatives are already sick and broken down in their 40s. Frankly I don't believe what you say about your grandfather. Black men are listed as being among the shortest life spans out of everyone in the US. Couple that with the fact that your family is mostly obese, and I'd guess your grandfather lived to be 62 tops.

I won't speak to your being happily "good to go" with being on welfare as it is a different topic, BUT I can say it isn't a coincidence that welfare recipients are the fattest and most unhealthy demographic.

There is no reason to argue with me, because it's your life. I don't particularly care about what is going to happen in your life. Obviously we are in agreement, because you don't care about what is going to happen in your life either.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:55 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Sure you can. You don't get enough money to buy a lot of healthy food, so you buy a lot of cheap crap food that is unhealthy, full of saturated fats, sugars and salt. You also buy sodas - sodas are still cheaper than water or juices. ( except tap water )
Well, you could make a better choices with the government money and buy less, check the labels, try more fresh veggies, change buying and cooking habits etc.
The best of course would be to get a job, and be not dependent on government money...
But that's another topic.........

Old 10-31-2011, 07:14 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
She doesn't look good, at all. First of all she didn't even look fat.She looked decent when she had her weight on. i don't think I will ever be a size two. Nor will I ever be a size small and defintely not Xtra small. I just wasn't built to be that tiny, it's unfortunate but we have to live in reality.
Do you realize with posts like that, you set yourself up for criticism? Why? Because you post with justifications and excuses why you are predisposed to remain fat when many have given you generally good advice based on common sense and some hard work. Instead of taking ownership and making changes you seem to use denials to justify non-success. And most of us posting here find the motivation and determination to eat pretty sensibly AND exercise regularly and robustly! Now I understand if you are not self motivated, losing weight will not happen. But at least have the self respect to stop with the excuses and justifications(denial). And if you cannot figure out why you are doing this, please-please go see someone to determine if depression, or something else, is sabotaging your motivation.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:27 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I wonder if is possible to have a decent conversation in this forum, without beating to death TreasuredJewel weight problem. After reading now countless debates, I think that all TreasureJewel questions are sufficient answered. Now is up to her what she will do with that vast amount of information.

TreasureJewel - should you still need an additional information, please feel free to start a new thread about it and specify your concerns.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:08 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedelivers View Post
So what happens if your the only girl in your family who is not petite and takes after your fathers' mother and is big boned and will never be able to have her weight below 170 but has beautiful curves and watches what she eats and exercises just to maintaine!!!!

What do you say about that, plus has a thyroid problem on top of everything else. Please don't judge people for their weight but for who they are.
Good luck with that

I think one of the posters suggests getting the thyroid removed. That wasnt something my doctor has mentioned yet, tho. I'll be sure to ask him, tho.

And then add menopause onto it... but again, there is no excuse. We all have to find that minute amount of calories that goes with the amount of exercise we are able to do - no matter our condition. Gotta be thin!!

(sarcasm off )

Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 PM

118 posts, read 218,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Good luck with that

I think one of the posters suggests getting the thyroid removed. That wasnt something my doctor has mentioned yet, tho. I'll be sure to ask him, tho.

And then add menopause onto it... but again, there is no excuse. We all have to find that minute amount of calories that goes with the amount of exercise we are able to do - no matter our condition. Gotta be thin!!

(sarcasm off )

I do love a little bit of sarcasm...

Yet a little factoid from The American Thyroid Association’s Website: “Hypothyroidism can cause a mild weight gain of 5 to 20 pounds, but does not cause obesity.... 2-3% of the adult population."

If a doctor diagnosed a thyroid issue without a series of tests and hormonal treatments or other procedures, I would seriously question it.

Thyroid is a popular word to throw around... I can not think of a family member or a friend who have not used it. PCOS is another popular one among women.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:20 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAndMillie2 View Post
I do love a little bit of sarcasm...

Yet a little factoid from The American Thyroid Association’s Website: “Hypothyroidism can cause a mild weight gain of 5 to 20 pounds, but does not cause obesity.... 2-3% of the adult population."

If a doctor diagnosed a thyroid issue without a series of tests and hormonal treatments or other procedures, I would seriously question it.

Thyroid is a popular word to throw around... I can not think of a family member or a friend who have not used it. PCOS is another popular one among women.
You "can not think of a family member or a friend who have not used it?"

That is terrible. It gives people who are very sick with it a bad name.

I've never heard anyone in my family say they had a problem with it, OR any of my friends.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:53 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
You've already told us that your parents and other relatives are already sick and broken down in their 40s. Frankly I don't believe what you say about your grandfather. Black men are listed as being among the shortest life spans out of everyone in the US. Couple that with the fact that your family is mostly obese, and I'd guess your grandfather lived to be 62 tops.

I won't speak to your being happily "good to go" with being on welfare as it is a different topic, BUT I can say it isn't a coincidence that welfare recipients are the fattest and most unhealthy demographic.

There is no reason to argue with me, because it's your life. I don't particularly care about what is going to happen in your life. Obviously we are in agreement, because you don't care about what is going to happen in your life either.
Whatever but I assure you that he died in his 70s and was obese and had high blood pressure. My mom has high bp and I have it and my kids will have it as well. nothing much that I can do about that. And we will always need government assistance, you just need to get over it. You are very rude to overweight posters gee I wonder why

Old 11-01-2011, 06:18 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
So what's the mountain dew/twinkie trick?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
that was a good list.
here is what i found out lately.
i sold my car. i use the trolley and my roller blades to get around.
im losing weight. i eat normally but mostly veggies.
when i was younger (1972 to 1977) i was living overseas for many years and then returned to a brand new life in CA.
1st thing i noticed was that the rear end of people looked just like the bucket seats of 1977 car models that year. .
i wondered if the seats shaped their bodies? after all they spend so much time in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness