Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:40 PM

118 posts, read 218,476 times

Advertisements

I am going on a secluded holiday for a week. Absolutely nothing around us within a 45+ minute drive. I have to pack lightly, and that is a struggle enough, as it is.

So, I need some ideas. A good gym free routine for me. I am not a runner, so please do not tell me to run!

But we are loading up our bikes, so cardio will not be a total loss.

I am sure I will find a something to use as a step, box or something in the cabin for some leg work.... Push ups, crunches and Pilates mat work.. On my list.

I am looking for strength training ideas... Thinking Rocky IV when he was in Russia, just not as insane!

However, I am not creative in this area.

Anything you can throw at me would be great. It has been a long time since I have been out of the comforts of the city for any extended period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 04:35 AM

530 posts, read 779,884 times
Secluded holiday for a week?

Chill.

Relax.

Take it easy.

Enjoy your time away.

Enjoy your time away...from it all.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:45 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Lao, where you at, buddy?

Old 10-31-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny how? View Post
Secluded holiday for a week?

Chill.

Relax.

Take it easy.

Enjoy your time away.

Enjoy your time away...from it all.

Believe me, there will be enough hours out of the day doing nothing. The person going with me is a runner, so they will be off doing their own thing... And I do need the mental boost, too.

I am just wanting some idea that will keep me going for a hour a day for a week... Then I relax the rest of the time.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Tony Horton's 10 Minute Workout. It comes with cards for on-the-go workouts so you don't even need a dvd player.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:19 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Here's a few links:

Top Military Workouts - Military.com Military Fitness Center

Bodybuilding.com - Bodyweight Exercises For Size & Strength!

Bodyweight Exercises for Home Fitness

They may give you a few ideas.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
There are a lot of ways you can use your own body weight to strengthen yourself.

Pushups, lunges, squats, a variety of ab moves, etc.

Do them outside...it will be more fun.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:40 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAndMillie2 View Post
I am going on a secluded holiday for a week. Absolutely nothing around us within a 45+ minute drive. I have to pack lightly, and that is a struggle enough, as it is.

So, I need some ideas. A good gym free routine for me. I am not a runner, so please do not tell me to run!

But we are loading up our bikes, so cardio will not be a total loss.

I am sure I will find a something to use as a step, box or something in the cabin for some leg work.... Push ups, crunches and Pilates mat work.. On my list.

I am looking for strength training ideas... Thinking Rocky IV when he was in Russia, just not as insane!

However, I am not creative in this area.

Anything you can throw at me would be great. It has been a long time since I have been out of the comforts of the city for any extended period of time.
If you will be near a wooded area, find a trail and turn it into a mini obstacle course..hop over some downed logs, mix in pushups, squats, etc.
Pick up a few relatively heavy rocks along the way and carry them. If you can find a strong branch, crank out some pullups.

You stated no running..that's fine. I no longer run long distance either. However, sprinting for me has been the best conditioner and keeps my workouts refreshing and interesting. Throw in some sprints, then drop and do some pushups. I enjoy zig-zag fast running. It forces my bosy to adapt to staggered distances as opposed to sprinting in a straight, fixed line. Also, if you have an ab wheel, take that along as well.

The possibilities are limitless and the fact that you will be away from a fitness facility will force you to be creative. You also don;t have to torture yourself. Fitness and excercise can be fun, while at the same time challenging.

I'll be honest..I no longer use a gym and do my sessions outdoors, weather permitting. I have found this to be not only liberating, but keeps me motivated. Good luck.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
If you will be near a wooded area, find a trail and turn it into a mini obstacle course..hop over some downed logs, mix in pushups, squats, etc.
Pick up a few relatively heavy rocks along the way and carry them. If you can find a strong branch, crank out some pullups.

You stated no running..that's fine. I no longer run long distance either. However, sprinting for me has been the best conditioner and keeps my workouts refreshing and interesting. Throw in some sprints, then drop and do some pushups. I enjoy zig-zag fast running. It forces my bosy to adapt to staggered distances as opposed to sprinting in a straight, fixed line. Also, if you have an ab wheel, take that along as well.

The possibilities are limitless and the fact that you will be away from a fitness facility will force you to be creative. You also don;t have to torture yourself. Fitness and excercise can be fun, while at the same time challenging.

I'll be honest..I no longer use a gym and do my sessions outdoors, weather permitting. I have found this to be not only liberating, but keeps me motivated. Good luck.
Hmmmmm.. ok the obstacle has its appeal and it could actually be rather entertaining for the both is us. A little friendly challenge! I do like that idea.

And I do not mind sprinting, just do not ask me to run any more 5ks.

I have to admit, I am one that needs a gym or my bike. Like this posts shows, I think, if I do not have an idea of what I am going to do... I tend to not do it or struggle with figuring it out. If I were going somewhere that had a gym, I would be a little more in my comfort zone or a vacation where I could take a few supplies... However, this is a new one to me.

When it comes to a workout, I need a plan. That is the kind of gym I joined to.... not something where you walk around hoping to be able to follow some program... Very specific, very organized, and the owner keeps it challenging.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:00 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Me and Mille2,

I can understand you wanting to be in the comfort zone of a gym. However, this would be a great time to step out of that zone and experiment.

At one time, if I knew I would not have access to a gym, I would go bonkers, especially when on the road. True, I would do pushups, etc. However, I'm at the point now where I do nothing but bodyweight excercises and no longer feel the need for a fully equipped gym. In essence, my "gym" can be anywhere I want it do be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness