Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 05:53 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,980 times

Advertisements

Best mass-builders;
1st place: squat
divided 2nd place:
benchpress(DB/BB, with whatever inclination, including seated shoulderpress), standing shoulderpress, deadlifts, pull-ups, leg press, dips.
3rd place:
cleans, bicep curls, leg curls, lateral DB lifts,

Note: I'd put cleans as the a divided #1 exercise if the criteria was best overall exercise rather than just mass-building. It's definitely needed to make something of the strength and mass acquired from the other exercises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 01:23 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Compound movements ARE proven mass builders, but here's where we separate the first team all pro starters from the special teams role players when it comes to training. Lets imagine the OP is a clien shall we? He wants to know what the "best muscle building exercises are". As I have said before, we need to find out what is GOAL is and to understand exactly what he's thinking about. "Muscle building" is NOT the same as "Strength building". They can overlap, but really are two totally separate things. Body Builders build muscle. Powerlifters build strength. Now Ive been doing this for years, and know when most dudes say they want to "build muscle", it almost always means they want to increase the size of their biceps, shoulders, traps, back, chest, etc. Without a doubt, compound movements are the best and should be the staple of EVERYONES workout because they work the entire body and are best for building strength. But for "building muscle" (i.e., increasing the size of specific muscles, isolation exercises ARE the best (AFTER the base with compound movements have been established). This is what pro bodybuilders do - compound movements for overall strength and size, then they get to the isolation exercises for specific muscles to get another 1"-3" or so bigger (i.e., build the muscles).

i think we are agreeing, I just got the impression that thought that compounds arent great muscle builders....I think we were just using different terminology...lol. to me, mass is muscle, but I know what you are getting at.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:13 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
That's fine, but what you called lame did wonders for me. You're strong, but what would you rather see - an ant lift a potato chip or an elephant lift an SUV?
Haha, sorry. I didn't exactly mean it was lame. Just takin the **** a bit.

Cleans are great, serious workout, great for conditioning, muscle building.. pretty much everything.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:21 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Haha, sorry. I didn't exactly mean it was lame. Just takin the **** a bit.

Cleans are great, serious workout, great for conditioning, muscle building.. pretty much everything.
Cool bruh.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:38 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Well in two weeks I will be rejoining the gym.

I weigh at 147 oz and I want to gain 5 oz of muscle at 5.9in. How long do you think that will take? And some of that is fat by the way. So the running is to get rid of some fat.

After every work out I drink a whey vanilla shake, take flaxseed oil, Glutamine, and HMB for better muscle break down and re-growth.

This will be an intense exercise. 10 min of running, 40 minutes of weight lifting. probably 10 minutes for each set rotating with my friend Brandon who is going to help me because he used to be a football player.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:15 PM

So I am going to see if I can go work out with my friend at 7 in the morning. But if that does not work out will working out by myself work out with these routines or not?

Old 12-15-2011, 12:39 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
I don't get why you are timing everything. I do 10 mins of cardio just to warm up my body. I have my certain machines/free weights/etc I wanna hit and I typically know how long I need. I'm a little taller and heavier than you. I also want to gain mass but want to keep my 30 in waist.

My biggest tip to you, work out your legs. I hardly ever lifted weights for my legs. I just ran a few miles instead. Legs get sore both ways but its a different type of sore. I can't do squats, I have a bad knee but I highly suggest you do squats. I do deadlifts and I climb a box with 20 or 25 pound dumbells in each hand to sub the squats...its a good cardio/lifting workout. I do some other stuff but those two are definitely must do's for me.

You need to be able to hit the gym without your friend. Your friend isn't going to be able to lift weights for you. Yea, since you are just starting it'll be good but don't make it a habit. Personally, I HATE working out with friends. Too much talking, not enough lifting.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I don't get why you are timing everything. I do 10 mins of cardio just to warm up my body. I have my certain machines/free weights/etc I wanna hit and I typically know how long I need. I'm a little taller and heavier than you. I also want to gain mass but want to keep my 30 in waist.

My biggest tip to you, work out your legs. I hardly ever lifted weights for my legs. I just ran a few miles instead. Legs get sore both ways but its a different type of sore. I can't do squats, I have a bad knee but I highly suggest you do squats. I do deadlifts and I climb a box with 20 or 25 pound dumbells in each hand to sub the squats...its a good cardio/lifting workout. I do some other stuff but those two are definitely must do's for me.

You need to be able to hit the gym without your friend. Your friend isn't going to be able to lift weights for you. Yea, since you are just starting it'll be good but don't make it a habit. Personally, I HATE working out with friends. Too much talking, not enough lifting.
I guess when I do the bench press and all that to be able to do it own my own, but using light weights and I guess have the gym staff help me starting out. Last time I just used the machines cuz it was easy.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
Good Information....................

[url]http://www.delhidreamgirls.com[/url]

Old 12-15-2011, 05:51 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,917 times
I'd recommend compound exercises and whatever cardio that you feel comfortable with.
I hate cardio so I just use martial arts routines on the bag or wavemaster.

My exercises are simple. Squat, deadlift, clean and press, military press, bench press, standing rows(overhand and underhand), pullups/dips.

check out anabolicminds or t-nation for some really good routines. I got my combo from the 1920-1940 physical culture and dinosaur strength books. I like how the old school guys did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness