Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 AM

218 posts, read 708,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
"Stretching? I don't believe in it? Does a lion limber up before he takes down a gazelle?"

Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson) from the movie Zombie Land.
it sorta does right after rising from its slumber all the time with those Yoga type up dog down dog stretches that cats do.. so.. considering how much a cat sleeps.. ya gotta figure there's a lot of stretching going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 10:15 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockheadofaknew View Post
it sorta does right after rising from its slumber all the time with those Yoga type up dog down dog stretches that cats do.. so.. considering how much a cat sleeps.. ya gotta figure there's a lot of stretching going on.
i was thinking the same thing. i dont know about a lion, but my dog regularly does some stretches.

im kind of surprised by the generally negative attitude towards stretching in this thread. i do a little stretching before my workout and thats about it. i dont have any scientific studies but my general feeling is its good to loosen up before a workout but its value is pretty limited. i have seen people who talk about stretching as if it was exercise in of itself. they are just trying to make themselves feel better about themselves because they would prefer to stretch rather than lift heavy.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:42 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
http://www.specialtactics.com/stretch.pdf

Old 12-01-2011, 11:26 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,579 times
Dynamic stretches and 5 minute warm-up are best imo.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:40 AM

44 posts, read 75,920 times
im no doctor, but here's my routine.

Running:
1) light stretch
2) jog for first couple mins
3) run hard
4) stretch good when done

Paddling:
1) adequate stretch before
2) warmup before getting really in to it

Lifting:
1) light stretch before and during
^^^ I HAVE heard that for lifting, stretching "good" between DOES reduce your ability to lift

Old 08-29-2017, 02:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I saw a recent study that said it's kind of a waste of time. I certainly don't do it before I jump on my bike for a long ride. I usually do stretch before fencing using a routine my instructor devised. I don't know how much good it does but it seems to make him happy. My suspicion is he uses it to assess whether we're injured in some way.
BUMPING AN OLD THREAD FOR RE-VISIT:

I go to a ton of baseball games and notice the players all stretch before their games. Really a waste of time?

I'm trying to get back into a routine at least x2-3/week.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:17 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times
Stretching is good if performed correctly. There are many different types of stretching. Personally, I believe in being actively engaged, and even in some carefully executed loaded stretching, as well as mobility work that also works as a stretch. It's important that you remain mobile as you get older. Strength is great, but you need to be agile enough to use that strength.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:27 PM

1,198 posts, read 661,109 times
I'm a dancer. Stretching is just part of my routine. I warm up first, then lightly stretch, and stretch more as I exercise or afterward. I am 45 and can do the splits again for the first time since I was 20 and quit dancing (I started dancing again at age 44). Having more flexibility has improved my leaps and jumps in ballet/modern dance, and has improved my range of movement and hence expression/creativity in choreography. Being more limber has also made it easier for me to do things like get in and out of a canoe, reach behind furniture when cleaning etc.

However, stretching when I am cold and not warmed up is a no no.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:51 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Stretching is good if performed correctly. There are many different types of stretching. Personally, I believe in being actively engaged, and even in some carefully executed loaded stretching, as well as mobility work that also works as a stretch. It's important that you remain mobile as you get older. Strength is great, but you need to be agile enough to use that strength.
So true, one of the easiest areas to get lazy about too. At least for me. I've already skipped mobility work twice this week.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:23 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5991619 View Post
Stretching - Seriously, yes or no?
Stretching is vitally important for good physical health/fitness. I've tried not stretching versus stretching and I can say that I am and feel 1000x better when incorporating stretching into my routines.

With all that being said, the time, duration and types of stretching is important.

Performing a series of Vinyasa Sun Salutations A and B first thing in the morning is GREAT. Stretching haphazardly and miscellaneous muscle groups first thing in the morning - NOT so great.

I never ever ever stretch while "cold". I always do some type of warmup or exercise first. For example, before my morning runs, I usually do about 10-15 minutes of jump rope (mixed double unders and high knees), then do some light stretching right after beginning my 5k - 10k run. AFTER my run, I do a bit more intense stretching as part of cool down. This usually involves some yoga asanas and/or sun salutations in addition to targeted stretching of used muscle groups.

After weight/resistance/crossfit training, I always stretch the muscle groups used. Still, I warmup with 20-30 minutes of rupe jumping prior, then some light stretching of the muscle groups being exercised that day. After the weight training session, I stretch the muscles used.

Stretching is an absolute must. People just need to be smart with the when and how to do it properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness