Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 06:51 PM

143 posts, read 378,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
So I was late to my Karate class and decided to go the gym instead..I started on my new routine of Deadlifts , sqauats and chest press/flies. I went light and focused on form .
Do you think doing this one day a week is enough? I will weight train more but as far as these specific areas.
Just do Starting Strength. It's perfect for beginners and you'll gain the weight in no time. In addition, if you do the squats with proper form it will probably fix your back problems, depending on what they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 04:59 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
yeah, I don't think so. Any studies to back any of this stuff up?
Any university level book on biochemistry should do. This is pretty established... I personally like "Biochemistry" by Stryer, Berg and Tymoczko.
I'm not gonna spend time searching quotes, you may chose to ignore well established facts as you please.
But all in all...
Your protein synthesis will not have magic powers just because you're at the beginning of working out.
This phenomenon also explains the faster time it takes to get back into shape after a pause in training relatively to the time it takes to get there the first time. The waters role in all kind of cells is way more complex than just a "medium to let everything else float around in".

Old 12-05-2011, 03:53 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,328 times
well, I looked around, wasn't that hard...

the consensus seems to be about 2-5 pounds of lean muscle a month is possible for beginners

How Much Muscle Can You Add in a Month? - Build Muscle in a Month
How Much Muscle Can You Gain in 1 Month Naturally | StrongLifts.com
How Fast Can You Build Muscle? 5 Factors That Affect Muscle Growth | BuiltLean.com

Old 12-05-2011, 11:03 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
well, I looked around, wasn't that hard...

the consensus seems to be about 2-5 pounds of lean muscle a month is possible for beginners
Ya, I saw about 1-2lbs a month starting out back when I was younger. I did weights 3 times a week and drank all the typical stuff, Creatine before and Whey Protein shakes afterwards. It started slowing down real quick around 6 months...for me anyhow.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:00 AM

They say it's a reasonable gain, although the first article does mension water-retention it does not put it into account in the initial start-up.
and their source of info is also
"In fact, the Yahoo! Supertraining forum discussed this and came up with a consensus on the achievable lean muscle gains in one month or year." with other words we're as good as them as a source, if we say a person can gain 100lbs a month we'd be just as credible.
Second source is written by a second random dude called "mehdi" and is also an estimate taken out of the air.
Third is written by Marc Perry, as seller of fitness products.

Although this article isn't directly about it, it does, together with the chapter on protein synthesis in "biochemistry" by stryer 2008, and chapters 5-13 of prescot harley and Kleins "Microbiology". The parts about procaryotes can of course be skipped.
http://www.sciencedirect.com.ludwig....84952104001090
This will explain the ability of cells to produce a specified product, whether it is muscle protein or alcoholic beverages.
There is simply nothing to support the hypothesis that anyone would have a much greater synthesis of muscular protein because of being in the inital stage of a process.

In the practical case it will look like and feel like you're gaining this poundage of muscle, but in reality it's a combination of different factors, that are not an increase of muscular sarcomeres.

We've all been there, starting out benching some low number and doubling that weight in a matter of 2 moths, making the scale go +15-30 lbs in hardly any time at all. I actually went up 25 lbs myself, during my initial 2-3 months but I started out with creatine from day one.
That said, no more than 2 lbs was lean muscle, the remaining 20~ lbs was pissed out as soon as I had an appendix surgery, and went back on when I started working out again.
Some of those lbs, are functionally muscles, meaning the initially bound water will have the effect of muscles in both aesthetic and functional point of view, what makes for a difference is the ease with which it will both leave the body and be taken up anew.
It is therefore often counted as muscle and in many cases even as lean muscle.

Last edited by SwedishViking; 12-06-2011 at 02:11 AM..

Old 12-06-2011, 12:30 PM

233 posts, read 753,368 times
Kinda like when you make money...some of that money is functionality money .. although you earned it and it is in your bank account and you can use it...really it is already allocated...so it doesn't count..I think that is what the swedish viking is saying...

synthetic testosterone + anadrol can def help you out but it is highly not recommended...

Old 12-06-2011, 01:16 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
SwedishViking,
You mentioned taking creatine, "I actually went up 25 lbs myself, during my initial 2-3 months but I started out with creatine from day one." What are your thoughts on it? Do you continue to take it? Do you think it allows you to train harder?

Old 12-06-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
SwedishViking,
You mentioned taking creatine, "I actually went up 25 lbs myself, during my initial 2-3 months but I started out with creatine from day one." What are your thoughts on it? Do you continue to take it? Do you think it allows you to train harder?
Well, yes.
Creatine does help, but only under certain circumstances.
I don't think it helps when doing very few reps(on high weight), or if you don't push yourself to or very close to your limit.
For me it allows me to do 14-15 reps on a weight that I would otherwise do 12-13 reps with in large, heavy exercises.(benchpress, leg press, squats, etc)

I've read studies that said creatine monohydrate has helped people increase their performance gain by 5-7% more than a compared placebo group.
(I don't intend to dig for sources here, as this was maybe 3 years ago)
From what I've heard there aren't any scientific studdies that consequently back up that other molecules bound to creatine would make it more efficient.
This means that all these creatine ethyl esters, creatine alkalynes and so on doesn't have scientific support for being any better. What they advertise is usually better with these is less water-retension, but the extra water-retension may actually be a contributing factor to creatines result so...
I've tried creatine ethyl ester once when the price was good, and I liked it. but i'm currently using monohydrate, it's cheap and proven.

Over the past 4 years I've tried monohydrate, ethyl ester, NO xplode, creatine pyruvate and a few others I can't remember.
I'd say stick with the basic monohydrate/creapure (creapure is a purer form of monohydrate)

However, humans have a natural production of creatine, and we also get it through red meat among other sources, so some people do not have any gain at all from supplementing it.
That said most don't even come close in own production+intake.

I'd say try it, but if you're in martial arts don't do it right before competitions, as it will make your body-weight increase. The water drops right off again in 2 weeks after stopping the supplementation.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:46 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post

Although this article isn't directly about it, it does, together with the chapter on protein synthesis in "biochemistry" by stryer 2008, and chapters 5-13 of prescot harley and Kleins "Microbiology". The parts about procaryotes can of course be skipped.
http://www.sciencedirect.com.ludwig....84952104001090
This will explain the ability of cells to produce a specified product, whether it is muscle protein or alcoholic beverages.
There is simply nothing to support the hypothesis that anyone would have a much greater synthesis of muscular protein because of being in the inital stage of a process.

In the practical case it will look like and feel like you're gaining this poundage of muscle, but in reality it's a combination of different factors, that are not an increase of muscular sarcomeres.
That link requires a password. Also I have no interest in reading 8 chapters of a Microbiology textbook.

I don't get what you're saying with all the medical jargon. You can go with that all day and it's not gonna convince me of anything. Show me a study that explains it and then I will listen.

You don't like those links I posted? Fine, here are some others. Maybe they aren't the best sources but they seem to be the best google can turn up, and pretty much every place I looked said more or less the same thing.

How Much Muscle Mass Can You Gain In A Month? | LIVESTRONG.COM
Building muscle mass - AskMen
How much muscle can you gain in a month

Old 12-06-2011, 05:13 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
SwedishViking,
Thanks for the reply. I started using creatine around 1995. I tend to take it when I'm most serious about lifting so it is difficult to say if it makes a difference. I have also read about the body's "natural production of creatine, and we also get it through red meat among other sources." I tend to eat a lot of red meat, so I may already be storing my maximum capacity of creatine. I doubt you will find much in the way of credible studies on creatine since there is no profit potential for someone to fund such research. Studies with diet and exercise tend to be very limited in numbers of participants, length of study and other controls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness