Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:13 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
WW may not be for everyone, but I am not a big proponent of excluding food groups. What helped me on WW was eating avocados and using olive oil and eating nuts. These fats kept me full for a very long time. Real life throws all sorts of food choices at us. Why not be prepared to make the most of all of them?
But everyone has to find there own way. Yours worked for you, and I am sure a lot of other people. But once the weight is gone people tend to go back to old habits, especially if they have denying themselves a certain food group.
Its all about calories in and calories out now matter how you slice it.

I have to say, I think that WW seems to be more easier to follow now than it was a few years back. The points plus system really is great and you do get plenty to eat. Years back, you nearly starved to death on that diet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 10:06 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I have to say, I think that WW seems to be more easier to follow now than it was a few years back. The points plus system really is great and you do get plenty to eat. Years back, you nearly starved to death on that diet!
I agree it has improved. The the thing that I love the most about WW is that it teaches you how to eat for life and not just a diet to lose weight and then go off of. It allows you to eat a variety of foods that you yourself choose.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:02 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Same number of calories walking versus running?

Not according to a recent study done at Syracuse University:

How Many Calories Are You Really Burning? | From Runner's World
RD5050,
Thanks for the article. I missed this in Runner's World. I'm in the same boat as Amby Burfoot, the writer of the article when he says, "I was absolutely certain of this fact for two unassailable reasons: (1) I had read it a billion times; and (2) I had repeated it a billion times. Most runners have heard that running burns about 100 calories a mile. And since walking a mile requires you to move the same body weight over the same distance, walking should also burn about 100 calories a mile. Sir Isaac Newton said so."

I recommend everyone with an interest in exercise read the article and also the comments. I don't know if the study results have been duplicated. One thing to not is it was a small study with only 12 males and 12 females and they ran on a treadmill. Some people believe there are major differences between running outside and on a treadmill. Back to the orginal intent of this thread, the bottom line for Melanie acording to this study is the more intensely she exercises, the more calories she will burn. In addition, the longer she exercises the more calories she will burn. And as we have discussed, weightlifting increase her metabolism and cause her to burn more calories at rest.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:13 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
And since walking a mile requires you to move the same body weight over the same distance, walking should also burn about 100 calories a mile. Sir Isaac Newton said so."
Sir Isaac Newton never wrote anything about running vs. walking. If he had, he would have acknowledged that the amount of energy required to move an object depends on many things including the rate at which it is moved.

Moving your body is not a continuous motion - your body tries to slow down, so your legs move to accelerate it. When your foot lands on a running step, because your body is moving faster, your leg will compress more. Your leg has to move more forcefully to lift your body. Over and over until the distance is accomplished.

Thinking that walking and running do the same thing is a common myth that dieters want to believe because it makes it easier to NOT run. Running will raise your heart rate more, cause more energy to be used from carb and fat storage, cause you to sweat more, which in turn requires your body to use additional energy to cool you.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:36 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Sir Isaac Newton never wrote anything about running vs. walking. If he had, he would have acknowledged that the amount of energy required to move an object depends on many things including the rate at which it is moved.

Moving your body is not a continuous motion - your body tries to slow down, so your legs move to accelerate it. When your foot lands on a running step, because your body is moving faster, your leg will compress more. Your leg has to move more forcefully to lift your body. Over and over until the distance is accomplished.

Thinking that walking and running do the same thing is a common myth that dieters want to believe because it makes it easier to NOT run. Running will raise your heart rate more, cause more energy to be used from carb and fat storage, cause you to sweat more, which in turn requires your body to use additional energy to cool you.
hoffdano,
If you would go back and look, that was a quote from a Runner's World article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness