Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:16 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,183,403 times

Advertisements

To get good??
I've been incorporating yoga a few times a week into my workouts. I never realized how much focus it takes to maintain these positions. The stretching is amazing though
I feel invigorated with yoga; how long before it gets to be easier to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 06:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
It took probably a good year to see my balance really improve. My flexibility improved nearly immediately.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:55 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,370,475 times
I was flexible as a child (did the splits easily), but stopped stretching. I'm 25 now. I started stretching last year when I deployed. Every day, twenty to thirty minutes. I regained all my flexibility within two to three months.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:03 PM

41,971 posts, read 75,229,826 times
I'm still not "good" after 10 years; I'm always challenging myself with new poses, going deeper into familiar poses etc.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:17 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,183,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It took probably a good year to see my balance really improve. My flexibility improved nearly immediately.
My flexibility is really noticeably better- I feel like I move more gracefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
I was flexible as a child (did the splits easily), but stopped stretching. I'm 25 now. I started stretching last year when I deployed. Every day, twenty to thirty minutes. I regained all my flexibility within two to three months.
Every day- wow...I've only been doing it 3-4 times a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm still not "good" after 10 years; I'm always challenging myself with new poses, going deeper into familiar poses etc.
That's what's so cool- so many moves it's like there's always something to learn

Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 PM

I wasn't doing Yoga stretches, just basic stuff. But, the flexibility and strength (from weight training) transfers over to Yoga positions.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 PM

344 posts, read 396,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
To get good??
I've been incorporating yoga a few times a week into my workouts. I never realized how much focus it takes to maintain these positions. The stretching is amazing though
I feel invigorated with yoga; how long before it gets to be easier to do?
I have a friend who is into yoga and a few years ago I gave it a try. But to be honest, I have a tough time seeing its value. I like the idea of being at an ideal weight. And I think having a certain level of physical strength has merits and is worth pursuing. Cardo conditioning has obvious benefits. But I've never seen any great health value in simple flexibility. Maybe I'm missing something but I'd think that if a person is going to dedicate a half hour daily to physical well-being, it should probably should be speed walking, bicycling, and swimming. Am I wrong?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
I have a friend who is into yoga and a few years ago I gave it a try. But to be honest, I have a tough time seeing its value. I like the idea of being at an ideal weight. And I think having a certain level of physical strength has merits and is worth pursuing. Cardo conditioning has obvious benefits. But I've never seen any great health value in simple flexibility. Maybe I'm missing something but I'd think that if a person is going to dedicate a half hour daily to physical well-being, it should probably should be speed walking, bicycling, and swimming. Am I wrong?
Stretching increases range of motions, or maintains it, keeps your joints,tendons, ligaments and muscles healthy. Circulates blood. If you're an athlete, provides numerous benefits (including foam rolling). Can reduce athletic-related injury and even injury from everyday tasks.

Being flexible (even at a most basic level) increases quality of life in my opinion...

I'm sure you can fit in half an hour of stretching while watching your favorite television show...

edit: and yes, you're wrong. oh and speed walking? funny.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:01 PM

344 posts, read 396,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Stretching increases range of motions, or maintains it, keeps your joints,tendons, ligaments and muscles healthy. Circulates blood. If you're an athlete, provides numerous benefits (including foam rolling). Can reduce athletic-related injury and even injury from everyday tasks.

Being flexible (even at a most basic level) increases quality of life in my opinion...

I'm sure you can fit in half an hour of stretching while watching your favorite television show...

edit: and yes, you're wrong. oh and speed walking? funny.
I can see yoga as being a good "in front of the TV" exercise. As for keeping joints, tendons and muscles healthy while improving circulation, I would think stairclimbers and exercise bikes, and swimming would be better. Perhaps the problem is that I am comparing yoga to vigorous exercise, and like apples and oranges, they are two different things and not really comparable.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
I can see yoga as being a good "in front of the TV" exercise. As for keeping joints, tendons and muscles healthy while improving circulation, I would think stairclimbers and exercise bikes, and swimming would be better. Perhaps the problem is that I am comparing yoga to vigorous exercise, and like apples and oranges, they are two different things and not really comparable.
They're not. They're in the same category, but have different goals/benefits. When I speak about stretching, I don't specifically mean Yoga. I mean just, stretching. Not a typical hand to toe stretch, a forced stretch that you can feel for sets.

My opinion of Yoga? Roughly the same as yours. I don't see it as overly beneficial as some people put it out to be, especially for the prices that some studios request. I believe most people do it also for the intrinsic value of meditation and whatever that word is.

I use stretching as an important way to recover from heavy weight lifting [and foam rolling]. . . along with cold/hot showers and epsom salt baths. Now I'm talking about an entirely different thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness