Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 PM

3,490 posts, read 8,202,814 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had trouble with working out while pregnant?

I am really trying to keep it up, but I am exhausted and everything is at least twice as hard as it was before.

I'm at the end of the first trimester and I'm struggling with morning sickness which doesn't help.

I have dialed down my workouts considerably. I'm still doing my classes but modifying a lot and taking out all the jumping and stuff. I'm doing half the workout intensity and still burning the same amount of calories, but it's wiping me out.

I'm feeling a bit discouraged, but I know working out is good while pregnant and I already feel bigger so I'm trying to stay under control.

Any suggestions? Is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 08:56 PM

7,090 posts, read 9,124,057 times
When you say you're burning the same amount of calories are you accounting for the extra weight? Maybe you're burning more than you think.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:22 PM

3,490 posts, read 8,202,814 times
I wear a heart rate monitor and my heart rate is going higher than normal, faster than normal. I think that accounts for the same number of calories doing less work.

I don't have a lot of extra weight yet, just some bloat. I'm sure the extra weight is on its way though!

Old 12-03-2011, 06:18 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,979,093 times
remember, you are especially tired in the first trimester. You should start feeling better/ more energy in the second, then get more tired again at the end of the last tri as you reach full size! You are doing more work than you realize, you're creating a human being in there! Do what you can and keep your OB informed of what you're doing and how you're feeling. Good luck!

Old 12-03-2011, 11:08 AM

7,090 posts, read 9,124,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I wear a heart rate monitor and my heart rate is going higher than normal, faster than normal. I think that accounts for the same number of calories doing less work.

I don't have a lot of extra weight yet, just some bloat. I'm sure the extra weight is on its way though!
Yeah, the higher HR will account for it. Googled the topic. Below is a couple of links. But I agree with L.K. Do what you can and keep your OB informed.

Pregnancy and Exercise

Exercising During Pregnancy

Top Recommended Exercises : American Pregnancy Association

Old 02-24-2012, 01:34 AM

6 posts, read 8,322 times
Now the best time to start really for care yourself and apart of going to your regular doctor check up and eating natural product,eating a nutritious diet working our while pregnant should also something strongly consider.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:37 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,921,562 times
Just hang in there, relief is indeed right around the corner. I personally never had morning sickness (thank God) but always felt most tired in the first trimester. I just kind of glided through my first trimester each time, staying active as much as I could, and then picked it up again during the second trimester.

I always continued brisk walking right up until the end of my pregnancies (which for me is 42 weeks+). I got huge but felt really great and am convinced it made for an easier labor each time. I also did a lot of stretches on my exercise ball (which I then used as a birth ball - very helpful to me).

Another thing to consider, as your morning sickness dissipates, is making every bite count nutrition wise. My midwife was a strong advocate of getting enough quality protein (at least 100 grams) each and every day, and taking a high-quality prenatal vitamin (such as Rainbow Light - the prescribed ones literally went right through me...). I followed the Brewer Diet and had big, healthy babies. Lots of luck and congratulations

A link to the diet if you are interested: The Brewer Pregnancy Diet

Old 02-25-2012, 11:50 AM

3,373 posts, read 9,161,788 times
I used to rock climb with a girl that was pregnant. She just did top roping with a full body harness and no lead climbing but being pregnant didn't slow her down

Old 02-26-2012, 07:17 PM

948 posts, read 3,346,531 times
Default Been there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Has anyone had trouble with working out while pregnant?

I am really trying to keep it up, but I am exhausted and everything is at least twice as hard as it was before.

I'm at the end of the first trimester and I'm struggling with morning sickness which doesn't help.

I have dialed down my workouts considerably. I'm still doing my classes but modifying a lot and taking out all the jumping and stuff. I'm doing half the workout intensity and still burning the same amount of calories, but it's wiping me out.

I'm feeling a bit discouraged, but I know working out is good while pregnant and I already feel bigger so I'm trying to stay under control.

Any suggestions? Is this normal?

The first trimester can be THE worst. I have 4 kids and each one was so different, but the morning sickness for all was most debilitating the first tri.

I found that swimming was fantastic for me. It felt good and the big ole belly makes you even more buoyant which can be fun in itself. Walking varying with hills is good if your balance is equally good.

With my last pregnancy, I felt like a slug the first 3 months. It was soooo hard to keep my head up during the day, but it does pass, I promise you. Make sure you're taking quality vitamins. When it passes you'll feel like you've really made it over a big hump and you can handle anything. Think of this tiredness as "spring training" to prepare you for when baby comes along.

Fwiw, I used to buy fresh ginger and put a big smooshed chunk into hot water and let it steep for 5 minutes. That and salt crackers were heaven for nausea relief
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness