Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:10 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times

Advertisements

Anyone else see this show? I was flipping through the channels last night and came across this show. Think it was on Lifetime or some similar channel. Its a show about helping obese teens. Looks like they all were living on some ranch/school in North Carolina and were learning about health and trying to lose weight.

Was breaking my heart to see what some of these girls have to go through and how difficult it is for them. I was SHOCKED to find out that those who lost the weight, like 100 - 200 pound weight loss were MORE unhappy with their bodies than they were when they were fat because of all the loose skin. The skin removal surgeries they showed were just horrible.

I only wish they would have these girls' parents on the show to find out what didnt they do something sooner when they realized their child was morbidly obese. Really upsets me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 11:16 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
I have seen bits of this show but it makes me really angry and sad. I think the parents need to not let it get to the point where they have an obese teenager. I know it has to be really difficult, but parents need to lead by example. If they are overweight it is going to be really hard for them to put restrictions on the kids. If the whole family is not striving for good health it is just a recipe for disaster.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:25 AM

As a parent, and a trainer, it REALLY upsets me at how parents let their children get in such bad state of physical (and even MENTAL) health. There had to be a time when the parents realized their child was becoming obese, but for the life of me, I cant figure out what makes them ignore it. Im sure genetics play a role, but that IMO makes for an even lamer excuse because you know BEFORE YOUR CHILD WAS BORN that they were prone to being obese.

Those poor children had no chance, with parents like that, even though Im sure the parents didnt mean any intentional harm. Glad that there are shows like this and places like that school where they can go to learn about proper nutrtion and get the help they so desperately need.

One gal was still over 300 pounds AFTER already losing over 195 pounds.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:56 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
As a parent, and a trainer, it REALLY upsets me at how parents let their children get in such bad state of physical (and even MENTAL) health. There had to be a time when the parents realized their child was becoming obese, but for the life of me, I cant figure out what makes them ignore it. Im sure genetics play a role, but that IMO makes for an even lamer excuse because you know BEFORE YOUR CHILD WAS BORN that they were prone to being obese.
I think the genetics talk is a cop-out.
I challenge anyone to find any type of genetic condition that is
A) comon enough
B) has strong enough effects
to be the cause for every other obese child and has these effects in a scientific article. And by scientific I mean hard science, not some bullsh1t survey asking people "are you fat, and if so do you belong to a fat family?" or something like that.

Because clearly, just about everyone have their genetics to blame for it

I see way too much crap about
"Our family has always been on the heavy side" ever pondered the thought you might be passing certain habits down the family tree rather than fat-genes?
"I am big because of my ethnicity" what's that? American?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:44 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
I love that show....Tanisha (i think that's her name) is my favorite. When she started, she was well over 500 pounds. The last I heard, she was at 240 pounds and this was in March of this year. See link here:

Too Fat for 15's Tanisha still screaming in season two - Washington DC TV | Examiner.com

I definitely will say the parents had a lot to do with it but at least these people are doing it the right way i.e. changing their eating habits and working out.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:50 PM

Tanisha is on the show and is ready for skin removal surgery. Another chick that seem crazy was Hayley who was also over 500 pounds when she arrived.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:01 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
Quote:
Tanisha is on the show and is ready for skin removal surgery. Another chick that seem crazy was Hayley who was also over 500 pounds when she arrived.
I haven't seen it in a while so I don't remember her...I will check it out!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
I think the genetics talk is a cop-out.
I challenge anyone to find any type of genetic condition that is
A) comon enough
B) has strong enough effects
to be the cause for every other obese child and has these effects in a scientific article. And by scientific I mean hard science, not some bullsh1t survey asking people "are you fat, and if so do you belong to a fat family?" or something like that.

Because clearly, just about everyone have their genetics to blame for it

I see way too much crap about
"Our family has always been on the heavy side" ever pondered the thought you might be passing certain habits down the family tree rather than fat-genes?
"I am big because of my ethnicity" what's that? American?

So I agree that people rely too much on the genetics argument, but I found this study in my genetics textbook. I don't know the details of the study, but it found that overweight children tend to have overweight parents and thin children tend to have thin children.
Children who were adopted, however, were found to have no significant relation between their weight and the weight of their adoptive parents. This shows that genetics DO have a significant effect on BMI. New England Journal of Medicine 314:195, 1986.

Also, hypothyroidism is pretty common and can really do a number to your waistline without changing any of your diet and exercise habits. Though my understanding is that it's more usually observed in adult women and, in the lab where I work, I've seen plenty of obese women come in with perfectly normal thyroid tests and thin women come back with wildly out of wack ones, so even that excuse only goes so far.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:44 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
So I agree that people rely too much on the genetics argument, but I found this study in my genetics textbook. I don't know the details of the study, but it found that overweight children tend to have overweight parents and thin children tend to have thin children.
Children who were adopted, however, were found to have no significant relation between their weight and the weight of their adoptive parents. This shows that genetics DO have a significant effect on BMI. New England Journal of Medicine 314:195, 1986.

Also, hypothyroidism is pretty common and can really do a number to your waistline without changing any of your diet and exercise habits. Though my understanding is that it's more usually observed in adult women and, in the lab where I work, I've seen plenty of obese women come in with perfectly normal thyroid tests and thin women come back with wildly out of wack ones, so even that excuse only goes so far.
But also;
The majority of the white American population is from Europe.
The majority of the black American population is from Africa.

Since they've only been in America between 0-10 generations, their genetic composure is virtually unchanged.
Yet Americans of both skin colors show much higher body weights than their African and European counterparts.[OECD 2008]

Also in my experience; adopted people will often have a different outlook on all kinds of things...not gonna get much into this, but my friend had quite a life crisis at 6yo, that lasted into his mid teens about his parents being white while he was black.
He went back and forth between trying to be like his parents and trying to be the opposite. I can only imagine this isn't a an exceptional case.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:44 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:

Those poor children had no chance, with parents like that, even though Im sure the parents didnt mean any intentional harm. Glad that there are shows like this and places like that school where they can go to learn about proper nutrtion and get the help they so desperately need.

One gal was still over 300 pounds AFTER already losing over 195 pounds.
And for some of these kids, the surrogate parents aka school, does a typically horrible job of modeling good eating and nutritional habits via the school lunch!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness