Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 PM

22 posts, read 42,979 times

Advertisements

Not without surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 07:03 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,584,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Full disclosure, I read hardly any of the other answers. But, I’m still going to comment.

Is it possible, I guess it is. The better question though is - is it likely? And that would be a no, sorry but better to be honest than give you fluff right? That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t work towards a goal but make it reasonable and then reset your goals as you go. Much of it will depend on genetics and most people’s genetics aren’t good enough to get to a great level, especially after 40 (age is a significant factor here). And you said you used to run regularly (whatever that means to you) and were still 10 lbs overweight (i.e. not satisfied) and younger. And you now have a belly and are older and haven’t exercised? Come on, any reasonable person that has a good grasp on fitness can tell you it’s a very tall order.

I am 39 and in the best shape of my life but I am not perfect, at all. The good news, for me anyway, is that I am happy and satisfied with my body and performance even though its not perfect. And I am content with the knowledge that it never will be. Exercise, eat well, have lots of great sex. Then be happy with the gains you make and keep moving forward. Believe you me, there are a great many people who are in fabulous shape but feel bad about their bodies and there are people who are in much lesser shape but feel great.

I’m sure there are many people who posted and screamed encouragement at you. That’s great, but sprinkle that with realism too, we’re not 20 anymore. The more you learn and apply the techniques of fitness and nutrition, the quicker you can mold your body into something better looking and healthier but if you go for perfection (whatever that means to you) you’ll be chasing a ghost and will never be satisfied…what a shame that would be.

Very best of luck.
I do not understand, why is it not likely? Anything is likely if you put your mind to it. I do not know the OP but sure if its wanted badly enough I say sure its likely. It was for me. I had never exercised in my life, I was overweight and on many medications. You would be shocked if you saw me now. Did I say I was in my 50s? Looking great and feeling great - No fluff - OP sure it is, accept failures and work hard and eat clean. You will be surprised at what will happen!

Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,788,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
I do not understand, why is it not likely? Anything is likely if you put your mind to it.
You are not using that expression correctly. It's: Anything is POSSIBLE if you put your mind to it.

And that (downgraded) expression isn't anywhere close to true either. It's a ridiculous expression.

Quote:
I do not know the OP but sure if its wanted badly enough I say sure its likely. It was for me. I had never exercised in my life, I was overweight and on many medications. You would be shocked if you saw me now. Did I say I was in my 50s? Looking great and feeling great - No fluff - OP sure it is, accept failures and work hard and eat clean. You will be surprised at what will happen!

Look, I'm very happy for all the fit people here. Go ahead and post encouragement, everyone can use it. But be realistic. The "you can do it because I did" kind of thinking isn't true, and can be damaging. Everyone is an individual. So good on you for doing whatever you did but what you did means very little to the OP's situation because after all, your body is your body, not hers. Do you understand what genetics are and the role they play in things like a person's body composition and athletic performance? Geez, I can't belive I need to say this but here goes: Just because one persons body responds in one way, doesn't mean that everyone elses will respond in the same way.

You never exercised and now your in shape...fanstastic! Good on you. Guess what, I'll betcha that if you did exercise when you were younger you would have been in even better shape than now, don't ya think? I am drawing on what the OP said in her original post, which was that she tried and was unable to get to what she perceived as perfection. Our bodies slow down a lot at around 40, so it's a very uphill climb and seeing as how she wasn't satisfied and couldn't do it when she was younger, that tells me it's unlikely.

Now, that's not to say that huge gains can't be made (especially with the right type of training and nutrition) and they'll come much faster and easier to a person who is out of shape. Then comes the inevitable plateau and that is where getting anywhere close to perfection gets difficult.

I tip my chapeau to all who are out there trying to better themselves. I encourage and respect them. Especially those who have a long way to go - they get my respect the most. But let's all be realistic about getting to perfection when you tried and failed at a younger age (when you're stronger, have mroe time, less stress, and better recovery), then stopped alltogether, and are now over 40 and wanting to get there.

I'll say this, I believe the OP can get to perfection but not in the same way that others do. Perfection is in the mind. Like I said before, I am in the best shape of my life (toot toot). I don't care to go into my performance levels or body fat %, or resting heart rate, or other stats but they are good when compared to athletes and amazing when compared with the general population (toot toot again). However, when I was in lesser shape I was still satisfied with myself. Perfection is in the mind not the body. And your body is not her body.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,173,623 times
Quote:
I do not understand, why is it not likely? Anything is likely if you put your mind to it. I do not know the OP but sure if its wanted badly enough I say sure its likely. It was for me. I had never exercised in my life, I was overweight and on many medications. You would be shocked if you saw me now. Did I say I was in my 50s? Looking great and feeling great - No fluff - OP sure it is, accept failures and work hard and eat clean. You will be surprised at what will happen!
Why is it not likely? Because you are older and Mother Nature is not kind.
The body shrinks with age. But the internal organs do not. So where do they go?? They make the stomach stick out more. Exercise those muscles and it will not be to obvious, but it will still happen. Joints get bigger. Veins stick out more. Skin gets blotchier. Things sag, and droop. On the unlucky ones, this may start in their 40s.

Age 50 is still young to a certain extent. You can still be great looking at that age.....but just wait. You can ALWAYS look great for your age, no matter what it is, but "perfect shape" after 40???? Maybe, not likely, and it will take a lot of time and work.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:55 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
You never exercised and now your in shape...fanstastic! Good on you. Guess what, I'll betcha that if you did exercise when you were younger you would have been in even better shape than now, don't ya think?.
No. Whatever shape someone was in before doesn't make any difference. With the right diet and exercise program, you can build lean muscle mass (even after 40, 40's nothing!) and be in ideal shape.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:20 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,788,010 times
Ruth4Truth: You quoted somethign I said that isn't really related to what you said but I'll address what you quoted.

I'm going to do you a favor and assume that my words weren't specific enough for you so let me rephrase.

The same person who has the same nutritional habits and level of exercise at age 50 and age 25 will have a higher level of performance when he/she was 25.

If you knew that I meant that and still think that the same person has any chance in the world of performing better than that same person did at 25, then you don't know anything about anything.

Now, onto what you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No. Whatever shape someone was in before doesn't make any difference. With the right diet and exercise program, you can build lean muscle mass (even after 40, 40's nothing!) and be in ideal shape.
Yes, I am aware that one can build muscle mass after 40. I don't think we wither away.

The shape that someone was in beforehand does make a difference. And it can make a pretty big one depending on the shape. At the risk of you misinterpreting, I'll add that that's not to say it can't be overcome.

I don't know why people are getting so confused about what I am saying. It's simple really. The OP tried to get to her "perfect" shape. She failed. And the failure was when she was younger and it was easier (on many levels and for so many reasons). Now she is out of shape and older with less time, more stress, more body fat, declining energy levels, more recovery time necessary, and many many other challenges. If she couldn't overcome when she was young and get to where she wanted when it was so much easier it is simply less likely that it'll happen now. It's not that it can't happen, just given the history it seems so obvious to me, I don't get what some people are thinking. Yeah OP, you can do it! Go for it and make it happen. YOu can do anythign you put your mind to. Get stinkin' rich while your at it and then buy Apple and Microsoft, and then become the President and then solve the problems in the middle east and go to the moon and position it so the tides are such that the entire planet earth has nice weather 24/7.

Sure the OP can overcome many things. Maybe she has free time, can afford a good trainer, etc. Those types of things can get her in good shape. But ideal shape and good shape are very different and getting to ideal/perfect at her age? Paaaaaleeez. OP, if you have the resources and gain the knowledge and have the fortitude to do all the right things then all you need is...(here's the kicker) to be one of the 1 out of 100 people who haven't exercised for years and is now over 40 who has the genes (which were curiously dormant when you were younger) that can get you into perfect shape, then I am less right.

Please don't take my words as discouraging. If you go out there and try, you are completly awesome in my book and I have respect for you. I respect people for their effort, not their shape. Get moving, you will see results if you do things right and do them well and I applaud everyone who does. It takes not only strength to exert yourself physically and putting your body through something that feels foreign and uncomfortable, but more than that for those who are out of shape it takes a mental toughness that fit people are unfamiliar with. Unfit people are frequently self concious and have to overcome that when going out for a run or whatever. For those that are unfit (or less fit than others out there who are running/cycling/etc.) it can be a hard pill to swallow as they are putting in their max effort and getting passed time after time after time by others who don't even have their mouths open. Hwo discouraging,,,can yuo imagine the strength it takes to get up and do it again? and then again? Wow! Nuff respect.

I get it because I know and helped many people like that. What I think is happening is that the people who keep saying it's completely possible and that they did it and screaming less realistic encouragement (rather than simple realistic encouragement) is that most of these people are fit and out of touch with being unfit. They don't have that sense anymore of what it's like to start from a bad place and the work it takes most people to get anywhere near a good level (not optimal, just good). And I'll add that oftentimes what happens with people who are 40ish and want to get fit after a loooong layoff is that they will see gains in performance (being able to run a 5k in a certain time or whatever) but their bodies won't reflect that as well. Sure, their bodies will look better but that look won't be symbolic of the work they put in nor the performance level they achieved. We have more fat as we age and it's harder to keep up and for someone who's been inactive? Yeah, getting to ideal is unlikely.

Now all that said, OP - go kick some a$$.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:40 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Is the OP even still around? This thread is years old. If the OP is still around: it appears that she need to define "in shape" before we continue discussing.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:09 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is the OP even still around? This thread is years old. If the OP is still around: it appears that she need to define "in shape" before we continue discussing.

Looks like Last Activity: 08-19-2012 11:59 PM for the Original Poster can be seen on their profile. It is not always real accurate, but you can also see their last posts.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:06 PM

165 posts, read 405,637 times
Quote:
Look, I'm very happy for all the fit people here. Go ahead and post encouragement, everyone can use it. But be realistic. The "you can do it because I did" kind of thinking isn't true, and can be damaging. Everyone is an individual. So good on you for doing whatever you did but what you did means very little to the OP's situation because after all, your body is your body, not hers. Do you understand what genetics are and the role they play in things like a person's body composition and athletic performance? Geez, I can't belive I need to say this but here goes: Just because one persons body responds in one way, doesn't mean that everyone elses will respond in the same way.
Your argument is also one used by people to just be lazy and quit. Sure, you may have to do things different, but baring some pretty serious medical issues (obesity is not a valid excuse), then you can get in great shape at any age. The keys are commitment, dedication and intensity. If you are going to sabotoge your efforts with excuses, then you won't achieve. But, if you are willing to put off something you want now for something you want more later, then you can achieve!

Old 07-06-2013, 09:24 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
You are not using that expression correctly. It's: Anything is POSSIBLE if you put your mind to it.

And that (downgraded) expression isn't anywhere close to true either. It's a ridiculous expression.

You never exercised and now your in shape...fanstastic! Good on you. Guess what, I'll betcha that if you did exercise when you were younger you would have been in even better shape than now, don't ya think? I am drawing on what the OP said in her original post, which was that she tried and was unable to get to what she perceived as perfection. Our bodies slow down a lot at around 40, so it's a very uphill climb and seeing as how she wasn't satisfied and couldn't do it when she was younger, that tells me it's unlikely.

Now, that's not to say that huge gains can't be made (especially with the right type of training and nutrition) and they'll come much faster and easier to a person who is out of shape. Then comes the inevitable plateau and that is where getting anywhere close to perfection gets difficult.

I tip my chapeau to all who are out there trying to better themselves. I encourage and respect them. Especially those who have a long way to go - they get my respect the most. But let's all be realistic about getting to perfection when you tried and failed at a younger age (when you're stronger, have mroe time, less stress, and better recovery), then stopped alltogether, and are now over 40 and wanting to get there.

I'll say this, I believe the OP can get to perfection but not in the same way that others do. Perfection is in the mind. Like I said before, I am in the best shape of my life (toot toot). I don't care to go into my performance levels or body fat %, or resting heart rate, or other stats but they are good when compared to athletes and amazing when compared with the general population (toot toot again). However, when I was in lesser shape I was still satisfied with myself. Perfection is in the mind not the body. And your body is not her body.
I agree with what you've written. At age 49, I decided to start mega-exercising again. I was stressed out after a move, a job change, raising my son basically alone, and my 90 y/o father moving in with us. The weight just piled on.

I started working with a trainer and then moved to working with the same trainer but in a group setting.

It has done wonders for my fitness levels, my blood pressure, my weight, AND my stress levels. (They are all tied together you know).

But ~ will my body ever look like it did when I was 25? Doubt it. I don't have the time to devote to it for one thing. I have a full-time job, two dogs, a 17 year old son who swims (lotsa travel) AND an elderly father. That's a lot. And, I'd like to have a full life that includes things other than working and working out.

I still get up 4-5 days a week and do killer workouts at 5:45. I love it; and I feel great. BUT, I don't kid myself that I'm going to get those washboard abs! Maybe with serious starvation . . . . but then I wouldn't be strong enough for the killer workouts.

IF I had stayed in shape from 35 to 49? Maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness