Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:15 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times

Advertisements

I get the part about getting back into shape. But what is this compulsion to have a perfect body?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 09:21 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,256,307 times
You kan dooo it!! (Sorry, cannot resist that line from the Water Boy)

Most definitely YES! I see women in our bicycle club in their 40's and we have some close to or in their early 70's who are cycling and look good. There is one in her mid-40's?, I have a secret crush on who is smokin! Just be disciplined, patient and consistent. And if you run into a day where you don't follow your plan-don't let that sabotage your plan. Start back up the next day.
I was about 40 when I got fit and dropped 35-ish pounds and have kept them off. First 20 pounds were fairly fast, last 15 gone after a year. No perfect body, but at 47, in pretty good shape & can occasionally hang with the speed demons on group rides and do multiple centuries every year at a decent pace.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:40 AM

6,734 posts, read 4,412,768 times
I lost 15 lbs. in the last month and a half just by cutting out sugar. I have always been in decent shape, carried my weight well, ate like I should, just needed to lose a few pounds. My weakness, a few soft drinks a day, sometimes 3, all 16 oz. drinks. I cut these out and other sugar foods and the weight just fell off, with no extra excerise to help this. I ride a bike and walk, but no more than I use to. Sugar just bloated me. I cut sugar out and it shows.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:00 AM

9 posts, read 19,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Well, its absolutely possible, but it depends on a few factors for you individually:

What is your idea of a "perfect" shape? Post a picture. I started a "Perfect Body" thread a while back and eveyone seemed to have different ideas of what the "Perfect body/shape" is.

I guess I was being a little silly with that, just looking for some motivation. Basically what matters to me physically is having a flat stomach, not a six pack abs or anything, just flat. And really toned and defined arms. Will try to find a picture later, not sure how to post one yet.

Do you have any ailments/injuries that will prevent you from exercising? None
Do you have membership to a gym? Not yet but I do plan on getting one if necessary.
How much time do you have each day for exercise? I would be comfortable with 1 hour a day, could do more on occasion.
How much do you know about nutrition and how dedicated are you to following a healthy plan? Actually quite a bit, overall my diet is not bad right now, the weight came from a long bout with depression. Alcohol and candy/ice cream were my best friends. I have cut all that out except for red wine, plan on getting rid of that while losing weight. I need to improve my diet by cooking more at home.
You say you are 55 pounds overweight, but what it your height and actual weight and how did you determine that you need to lose 55 pounds instead of 45 or 35? I am 5'4" and 183 pounds. Around 8 years ago I weighed 135 to 140, and looked pretty good (I am fairly muscular naturally) but always wanted to lose 5 to 10 pounds.

Welcome to the forum, but understand, the only way we will be able to really help YOU with you question is if you respond to the questions many of us will have and are an active participant in this thread.
Thank you all very much.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
how likely is it that someone that is 55 lbs overweight and hasnt worked out in 8 years is going to get in "perfect" shape? they dont seem to have the drive to do it. it is funny sometimes the delusions of grandeur some people have before they even set foot in the gym.

its definitely possible, but it requires lots of work and discipline. its the same formula for everyone, strict diet and lots of exercise. i just noticed you reduced your goals from perfect, in that case your goals are very easy to achieve. its incredibly difficult for anyone (especially women) to get a six pack.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:26 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
No one is perfect, regardless of age. Trying to achieve perfection is just setting yourself up for failure. Not to mention pointless.

Instead of striving for "a flat stomach and great figure", strive to get into the best shape you can through cardiovascular exercise, strength training, and flexibility.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:23 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,980,987 times
Yes you can look and feel great after 40.

Most important thing to do is develop healthy eating habits.

Eliminate all junk food from your diet, such as cake, cookies, candy, ice cream, fast food, deep fried food, soda, and all other foods high in either sugar or saturated fat.

Try to eat only healthy foods such as fruit and vegetables, whole grain bread and cereal, fat free yogurt, fat free cottage cheese, skim milk, skinless chicken breast & turkey, tuna fish, peanut butter, almonds, brown rice, for some examples.

Try to eat 6 times a day instead of 3, and keep your meals small.

Drink lots of water all day long. Keep your body hydrated.

Read the nutrition label on your food. Learn about how many calories, protein, fat, carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins and minerals your food contains.

Become calorie conscience. Either eat enough calories to maintain your present weight or eat fewer calories to lose weight (diet).

You can determine how many calories your body requires each day by obtaining your Basal Metabolic Rate (or BMR): BMR Calculator

Then add to this number, the amount of calories you burn during daily exercise, and other activities.

That is the amount of calories your body will need to maintain it's present weight. Eat fewer calories than this number, if you want to lose weight.

Next get plenty of exercise. Ride a bike, work out at a gym, work out at home, etc.

Lift weights if you want to build muscle and tone your body. Do cardio exercises (treadmill, elliptical machine, running, etc.) for around 30 minutes a day, to get your heart rate up, and to make your heart and lungs stronger.

After several weeks of maintaining a healthy lifestyle, your body will begin to look and feel great! And your body will keep getting healthier and stronger - even after age 40.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:00 PM

81 posts, read 453,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I don't know what look you are going for, but Google Ernestine Shepherd. She's 75 and looks awesome (IMO). I also think that she runs several miles a week in addition to weight training.
Never heard of Ernestine Shepherd before but does she look great ! Thanks for that info. She is certainly an inspiration to others.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:51 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,943,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Eliminate all junk food from your diet, such as cake, cookies, candy, ice cream, fast food, deep fried food, soda, and all other foods high in either sugar or saturated fat.
Great post above by RD505, but I really wanted to highlight this one part. ELIMINATE ALL JUNK!!!! People will be surprised at just how fast the body can get into tip top shape just by doing this (along with exercise). Its no wonder that the overwhelming majority who fail in their diet/exercise/weight loss/health improvement plan, FAIL because they dont do this one simple little part.

People who eliminate the junk have a huuuuuuuge head start and advantage of losing weight and getting a better body than those who do not.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:38 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,256,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Great post above by RD505, but I really wanted to highlight this one part. ELIMINATE ALL JUNK!!!! People will be surprised at just how fast the body can get into tip top shape just by doing this (along with exercise). Its no wonder that the overwhelming majority who fail in their diet/exercise/weight loss/health improvement plan, FAIL because they dont do this one simple little part.

People who eliminate the junk have a huuuuuuuge head start and advantage of losing weight and getting a better body than those who do not.
No doubt. The "junk" I still eat keeps me from the last 5-10 lb to be in great shape instead of good/very good shape. Those crunchy/salty foods are hard my weakness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness