Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 06:56 PM

297 posts, read 743,250 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have one? They 405cx is on sale right now on amazon.com for $159.99. DH wants to get it for me for Christmas, but I'm feeling guilty b/c he just bought an iPad for me for my birthday.

I really WANT one, but I'm not sure I really need it. I'm training for a half marathon. I have my iPhone, and have been using the runtastic app. Even if I get the Forerunner, I'll still carry my phone (DH made me promise... he worries something will happen b/c I have type 1 diabetes and he wants me to have the ability to call for help, and I use it as an iPod). However, every time I've done a race the app has messed up while I've been trying to get it started in the midst of the jostling and I hate not knowing how much more I have left.

I also hate having to pull my iPhone out of my pocket, hit the button, and swipe all while trying to keep my pace and not trip, to see how fast I'm going and how far I've gone.

Is it really worth it though? Ugh. I've placed the order twice and canceled it twice! I just can't decide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 07:51 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
I have the older version, the 205?. I was using a stopwatch but that was a pain to carry especially since I don't always have pockets. I did it for the HR monitor and I liked the GPS mileage aspect. I have really liked having it to track mileage when I run in unfamiliar areas. I also have a Garmin 500 on my bike using the same HR monitor for both devices. I remember the main criticisms of the 405 was using it with gloves. Since I run in the winter, here in the Midwest, that was a problem for me.

As a side note, I do not have an I-phone or Droid and my Crackberry was never a consideration as an alternate. Having a device strapped to your wrist is very convenient. However, couldn't a strap you attach to your arm be used with the I-phone? I use one with my MP3 player, although manipulating it and looking at the display is not as convenient as having it strapped to your wrist. And it is a Christmas gift. If you are like me, I buy what I need and Christmas is for that item that is straddling the divide between a need and a want. And if your DH is like me, he is glad to get it for you since some of us men are not as blessed in the gift giving department. And guys love "toys" for Christmas and typically love giving them as gifts as well.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:55 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Just use the new Nike+ for your iPhone. The Garmin would be a waste of money.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:33 PM

301 posts, read 570,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Just use the new Nike+ for your iPhone. The Garmin would be a waste of money.
Just realize the a lot of people consider Nike+ to be pretty inaccurate. I personally use it but don't rely on it for accuracy more for motivation. As I do more and longer runs I will likely invest in something else.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:37 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
I have the Garmin 405cx that you're asking about. I use it primarily for hiking, though I will always wear it when I go running. It's accurate but the watch is pretty heavy. It took me awhile to get used to having this bulky thing on my wrist.

The main criticism I have is this: the calorie reading are ridiculously inaccurate. The calories they compute merely at 90 calories a mile (based on my weight). The watch does not compute if you're running up a mountain gaining 1500 feet elevation in a mile. That would burn off far more than 90 calories.

So if you don't care about an accurate calorie reading, I recommend the watch. The mileage can vary a little, but no more than 1/10th of a mile. You have to charge it every 3-4 hours or the watch with conk out.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:40 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
BTW, $159 is a not a great price, you can do better here:
Garmin Forerunner 405CX - onestopsuperstoreshop

Old 12-18-2011, 06:42 PM

160 posts, read 335,224 times
I'm also thinkg about buying the Forerunner 405, Costco has them on sale for 159.00 from their online store and that includes shipping. I also do a lot of hiking so it can be of use two different ways.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:02 PM

5 posts, read 14,564 times
The watch does not compute if you're running up a mountain gaining 1500 feet elevation in a mile. That would burn off far more than 90 calories.http://www.uklv.info/g.gif

Old 12-20-2011, 08:07 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Are there GPS/HE monitor watches that are more accurate, better alternatives?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
That thing actually looks pretty cool. If were more of a runner and a gadget fanatic I might actually consider it. It IS pricey though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness