Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What health club/gym do you belong to?
24 Hour Fitness 15 13.76%
Golds Gym 3 2.75%
Worlds Gym 1 0.92%
Powerhouse Gym 0 0%
LA Fitness 4 3.67%
Bally Fitness 4 3.67%
Equinox 2 1.83%
Anytime Fitness 1 0.92%
Other 59 54.13%
I don't belong to a gym 20 18.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:00 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
However, if you are serious about getting fit, improving your health and all, then you MUST sign up at a CrossFit gym.
Because anything that isn't crossfit won't obtain those goals, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 12:12 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
Anytime Fitness. Small and somewhat crowded but rarely packed. At $50/month it's the cheapest gym in a 10 mile radius. No frills or spa services and pretty barebones, just how I like it. $50/month is a big bill for what you get though.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:29 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

I don't see where Lao said that, no. Care to point it out to me?

Seriously, everyone knows you hate CrossFit, and that's fine. I don't see the need to dog it at every opportunity, however.

By the way, I managed to do a timed workout with 100 deadlifts total at 185lbs and another timed workout that involved 45 total overhead squats at 95lbs. Amazingly, no one got hurt in either workout. Shocking!

Old 12-09-2011, 12:48 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I don't see where Lao said that, no. Care to point it out to me?
Sure thing.

Quote:
However, if you are serious about getting fit, improving your health and all, then you MUST sign up at a CrossFit gym.
"Must" sure makes it pretty clear he believes crossfit to be the only viable option. He even made sure to put it in caps for added effect.

Quote:
Seriously, everyone knows you hate CrossFit, and that's fine. I don't see the need to dog it at every opportunity, however.
Despite your sensitivity to defending it, this actually has nothing to do with crossfit. I take issue with people who are delusional in their belief that their preferred method is the only way. You could have subbed any workout system or gym into his post and my response would have been the same.

Quote:
By the way, I managed to do a timed workout with 100 deadlifts total at 185lbs and another timed workout that involved 45 total overhead squats at 95lbs. Amazingly, no one got hurt in either workout. Shocking!
So you took very little weight and moved it a bunch of times? I'm impressed.

Last edited by McBain II; 12-09-2011 at 01:41 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 04:47 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
IMO, it makes it a LOT easier than just doing your own thing at globogym. At CF, he'll have specific workouts to do and will be guided in a group type setting with an instructor. Heck, just doing the group warmup is much more than what most people will do at their average daily workout on their own at 24Hr Fitness, World, Golds, etc. CF totally takes the "what should I do?" factor out of the equation because the workouts are already established.

The goals can be accomplished at non CF places, but the way they are setup at CF gyms just makes it a LOT easier to accomplish because of the support structure, group workouts and trainers that are guiding you. You will NOT get that at Golds or Equinox or Spectrum.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:02 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Sure thing.

"Must" sure makes it pretty clear he believes crossfit to be the only viable option. He even made sure to put it in caps for added effect.
See, and I read that as simply a very strong endorsement. As in: "If you go to Carmine's you MUST get the white peppercorn and shallot sauce on your steak! It's amazing!".

Quote:
Despite your sensitivity to defending it, this actually has nothing to do with crossfit. I take issue with people who are delusional in their belief that their preferred method is the only way. You could have subbed any workout system or gym into his post and my response would have been the same.
Again, I think you're projecting things to Lao's stance on this that simply aren't there. Given your past history I have a tough time believing you would have replied EXACTLY the same if Lao had made reference to something else, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
So you took very little weight and moved it a bunch of times? I'm impressed.
Oh, I thought that one of your main complaints with CrossFit was that doing high reps for time meant a breakdown in form and injury?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:31 AM

529 posts, read 1,300,637 times
Lifetime Fitness

Old 12-13-2011, 05:33 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,033 times
Weight bench and 360lbs of plates in one corner of my basement, 80lb heavy bag in another. Kinect and WiiFit in the living room. Nature provides opportunity for the rest.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:49 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Just the university gym. I will never join a private gym again. 99% of the time I've found it quite the pain in the ass to cancel a gym membership. Once you let those people have access to your bank account they never want to let go. The whole health fitness industry stinks. Industry standards are deplorable for the consumer and I have no idea why the industry is not more regulated. At his point in my life people really don't care if you are shredded or not anyway. All I need to do is run outside, play a sport, and do some push ups, sit ups, and pull ups at home.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,033 times
More government regulation is not the answer. To anything, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness