Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 07:45 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times

Advertisements

Follow up: I washed them in the pillow case in cold water (cold water detergent) on the gentle cycle, along with several cotton blankets. I have stuffed the shoes with newspaper and set them in the bathtub to dry. I will replace the foot pads with new ones when they are dry.

No damage as far as I can see . . . the sides are intact and they certainly smell better!

Thanks for this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 06:12 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Never had any problems washing sneakers. I let them air dry for a few days with the laces out and tongue pulled up. Or if in a real hurry, and you have a drying rack in your dryer, you can do that too. But if you tumble the in the dryer, you can actually dent the drum. And it's loud!

I've hand washed them too, using a sponge and oxy clean.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hah, my mom washed my sneakers in the was ing machine when I was a kid...never occurred to me not to.
Maybe it's an age thing, but my mom washed my sneakers too.

It's sad to think that the present generation doesn't know common things like this.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
When I was young there werent such things as trainers or sneakers as you call them it was cheap sandshoes or sannys.. black for boys and white ones for girls. they got whitened every day in summer and put out on the window ledge to dry.. , I washed a pair of sketchers in the machine and they got ruined... when I complained about them I was told they cant be washed but just sponged down.... I did however wash my kids in the machine.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:58 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I dont think I would trust putting them in the washer or dryer ...I think I will leave them alone and when they get really stinky or filthy then I will try it with the pillow case but until then I am too scared to ruin a perfectly good pair to the wash .

Old 02-17-2014, 12:57 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Last follow-up: I washed a pair of Saucony Grid Oasis shoes.

This morning they are totally dry (I left them in the bath tub with the door closed. It gets up to about 75 degrees in there). They are intact. I put in new pads and re-laced them. All is well.

I think the original warnings stem from melting the glues used and/or pulling off the netting. In the old days, "Tennis shoes" were sewn rather than glued.

I'm still not sure I would risk expensive running shoes in a dryer, even on a shelf, but these washed up just fine. I wouldn't make it a weekly task or anything, but washing them once or twice in their lifetime probably wouldn't hurt. The stink is gone. It wasn't just sweat. I got into some other nasty stuff, too.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:30 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
When I was young there werent such things as trainers or sneakers as you call them it was cheap sandshoes or sannys.. black for boys and white ones for girls. they got whitened every day in summer and put out on the window ledge to dry.. , I washed a pair of sketchers in the machine and they got ruined... when I complained about them I was told they cant be washed but just sponged down.... I did however wash my kids in the machine.
Glad they survived.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:54 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,388,053 times
Nice to see this thread revived. I'm still washing my shoes and they're still turning out great. Before washing I usually scrub them with whitening toothpaste (Arm & Hammer brand). This really brightens them up! A new pair of laces helps too. You know, wearing freshly cleaned shoes actually helps my motivation. It's wonderful to see them shine in the sun while I take a nice long walk.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:00 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,388,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Wow, I've washed many pairs of Skechers, and never had a problem. What model/type did you wash?

Old 02-18-2014, 05:30 PM

447 posts, read 1,043,904 times
Should I remove the foot insert before washing or leave it in? Or take it out and wash it by hand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness