Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:08 PM

769 posts, read 1,733,830 times

Advertisements

Which is better? Is there a difference of which one is better for you? Right now I'm jogging daily at a park, it's really nice since the weather is perfect right now, but it's kind of inconvenient since I have to drive back and forth. Treadmill seems like it would be more comfortable since you can be at home and be in air conditioning. But I feel like I would get off track and end up quitting. I feel like I can't really concentrate on anything while I'm at home. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 09:31 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,487,248 times
Always better to be outdoors. Fresher air, some sunshine is good for you, visual stimulus (interesting sights). Treadmill uses energy instead of what they should do.....wire them smart so they charge batteries.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,262,559 times
I would run in the park...after falling off of a treadmill I am totally AGAINST them..LOL!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:01 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,912,828 times
Personally...living somewhere where its in the 90's at least 6 months out of the year...I prefer treadmills. I do enjoy running outdoors, getting fresh air, enjoying the scenery, but ultimately my priority is getting in a good workout, and that is just more practical on a good treadmill so I don't have to worry about outside factors such as weather, location, etc. Also, on treadmills you can control the incline and speed which helps with varying workouts.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:13 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,801,295 times
the treadmill is better. you run outside enough and you are bound to get shanked. that will seriously impact your future workouts.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:28 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,855,151 times
Treadmills tend to be nicer to your knees and back (not much nicer, but a little nicer.) I also read somewhere that 3 miles on a treadmill is only about 80% effort-wise of 3 miles outside (don't quote me on that one). I like both. I like the treadmill for the rainy months so I can watch Seinfeld reruns. Summer in Seattle is AMAZING though so I run outside during the summer. I've noticed that running outside gets me in better shape because of hills and it's less boring because of scenery. Running outside also gets my dog into shape so there's another thumbs up.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:24 AM

258 posts, read 451,337 times
I prefer treadmill since it kind of forces me to keep running. Plus the treadmills I use at the gym have personal T.V's (on which I'm always tuned into the Food Network Channel) so I end up running longer than I would have than outside.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,801,295 times
the real answer to this question is that its the one that you will do consistently indefinitely. if they are both equal in that manner, then do the one you enjoy more.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:52 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,713,185 times
If you run outside you will get in shape much faster because you are actually accelerating your body mass forward (instead of just keeping up with a belt). Add some hills and the effect is amplified.

Some people's knees just can't handle running outside everyday, so it really depends on the person.

I know that I can be in great "treadmill shape" and I still get very sore legs after running outside in the spring for the first few times.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:17 PM

17,462 posts, read 16,639,620 times
Both outside and treadmill.

I prefer outside - the changes in terrain, the hills, the fresh air, the sights/sounds/smells keep it interesting and fun. And the long, strong strides feel good.

The treadmill is kind of boring but it is good for keeping a consistent, steady pace going (unless, of course, you're doing intervals). Outside your pace varies more than you might realize.

So, unless it is an incredibly beautiful week, I get some "pace training" in on the treadmill along with my daily outdoor exercise. It helps me to maintain a more consistent pace outside. Or at least it sure does seem to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness