Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:18 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,209 times

Advertisements

This has been discussed at my gym recently. All the big muscle guys are saying that recent studies argue against cardio as being the preferred method for weight loss. They argue that recent studies have shown better evidence for weight training, with the added benefits of body sculpting, bone strengthening, better core/posture effects. Some of these guys have stopped doing cardio in the gym, for this reason. Obviously, they are all active and healthy guys, but they have decided devoting their limited time to active weight training has been higher yield.

Thoughts?

Sorry if this is repeated topic. It was new to me, and these guys are posers, if you know what I mean. But one of these guys is quite sharp/smart. They all look great, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 02:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
and these guys are posers
i dont know what that means.

cardio would be the least important things when it comes to bodybuilding. diet and lifting are the best ways to sculpt your body.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:31 PM

328 posts, read 995,937 times
I think both are very important. I used to go to a personal trainer and we focused mainly on resistance training. I was assigned to do cardio and never did it because I thought the weights would be enough right? wrong. I didn't lose any weight nor did I look any different LOL. Although I think if you just want to have big muscles you might want to lift more than cardio.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont know what that means.

cardio would be the least important things when it comes to bodybuilding. diet and lifting are the best ways to sculpt your body.

"Posers"... to me... means guys who love hanging out at the gym "posing".... they know they look good, they like when people watch them and ask them for advice. Sorry, maybe this is just a local term we use. They can be good guys.... they just loooooooove when people look at them.

I am talking specifically about the benefits of cardio vs. weight training for weight loss. Of course diet and lifting are best for sculpting. Just was wondering if any of you folks know the data on weight training and weight loss.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I am talking specifically about the benefits of cardio vs. weight training for weight loss. Of course diet and lifting are best for sculpting. Just was wondering if any of you folks know the data on weight training and weight loss.
i have heard that weight training is best for burning calories. but i think the best way to cut calories is to eat less. i could eat in 10 seconds what would take 30 minutes on a treadmill to burn. counting on exercise to burn your calories is very inefficient.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i have heard that weight training is best for burning calories. but i think the best way to cut calories is to eat less. i could eat in 10 seconds what would take 30 minutes on a treadmill to burn. counting on exercise to burn your calories is very inefficient.
Again, not the question.... of course eating less leads to weight loss. I am asking if given the same diet, which is the best benefit for weight loss - cardio vs. weight training. All of our circle eats well. These are the gym discussions of the best possible use of time. Many are very busy, trying to squeeze in routines before work etc...

Old 03-30-2012, 03:27 PM

165 posts, read 405,655 times
I don't have the information at my fingertips to back this up. But, just using what I feel is common sense, you can figure that weight lifting is going to build muscle which will allow you to burn more calories throughout the day. I read or heard a long time ago that a cardio session will increase your caloric burn for about 30-60 minutes after stopping. Whereas, weight lifting will increase your caloric burn for 4-6 hours after stopping. That may just be "gym science" but seems to make sense.

But, as others have said, if your diet is not right, nothing is going to overcome that.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:08 PM

968 posts, read 2,588,463 times
Weight training is cardio if you want it to be.

Do a couple sets of power cleans and tell me if you agree.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:38 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
A trainer once told me that if you only have enough time to do either weight training or cardio to opt for weight training.
If you do not rest a lot between sets and do a lot of combo moves that work more than one part of the body at once you will get a very efficient calorie burning work out.

I think it really depends on the intensity of the workout.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:08 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
Resistance training, namely weight lifting will yeild higher results in weight loss over cardio if your diet is right. If your diet is bad, then nothing will help you other then you will have a heart attack while walking on the treadmill at 0 incline watching The View.

If your diet is right and you incorporate a full body workout then lifting will yield higher results. Lean muscle replaces fat. When muscles are rebuilding they burn calories.

Again your diet has to be in order as CaptainNJ has stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness