Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:15 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's sad, to me, that your life is so shallow that you'd laugh at someone else's efforts.
Actually, I feel regret that obese individuals are being taught the wrong thing to lose weight.

Don't see how that's shallow.

Also, I am laughing at your lack of comprehension of my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 04:16 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber1964 View Post
I would not call it a scam but I have been with a personal trainer and a member of a gym since last Jan 2011 I have not seen any results, meaning that I still wear the same size pants when I first started. I am very close to giving up and I have spent loads of money hoping that I would lose weight that I will never obtain back
Okay, did you analyze the situation and do a post mortem check of why it did not work?

Can you please share your experience with the trainer? Did he request you to maintain something like a food journal? Did you see any weight loss at all?

I commend your honesty, Amber. Takes a lot of guts to make this public. But you can achieve the target yourself.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why?

Every pound of muscle you put on (wherever it is) burns calories for you all day. You need your triceps to be strong to support a variety of other larger muscle group exercises.
Yep. Guess how a 144 pound male is able to dumb bell bench 125 dumb bells? Not tricep kickbacks. Haven't done an arm exercise in four or five years.

Tricep kickbacks are used as an assistance exercise yes and for body buildiers. It is a very inefficient way for obese individuals to lose weight.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:22 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber1964 View Post
I would not call it a scam but I have been with a personal trainer and a member of a gym since last Jan 2011 I have not seen any results, meaning that I still wear the same size pants when I first started. I am very close to giving up and I have spent loads of money hoping that I would lose weight that I will never obtain back

What did YOU do to lose the weight? Did you follow the trainer's plan? How was your diet? How consistent were you with both diet and exercise? What did your trainer tell you to do?

Old 01-15-2012, 04:24 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Try this. 20 minutes on the stepmill.

Break it into four 5 minute sessions. You can set it to manual.

Every 5 minutes should be like this:
First 3 - level 8, climb the stairs, hands free, not even on the hip or head
End 2 - level 12, climb double steps, hold the handles, hold, not support

Repeat 4 times.

Let me know how it feels. If it hurts too much, stop. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Nobody needs routines They need body bothering exercises. These are sweat generators. I do 45 minutes of this after weights training. Killer workout. I get off the stepmill absolutely ravaged.
But that's not fun! I really enjoy the classes and the people in them.

IF I could do all that (names above) on my own - that'd be great. I'll be the first to admit I'm probably not going to kill myself unless someone is watching. That could be a trainer/coach or just the other class members.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:48 PM

71 posts, read 125,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Okay, did you analyze the situation and do a post mortem check of why it did not work?

Can you please share your experience with the trainer? Did he request you to maintain something like a food journal? Did you see any weight loss at all?

I commend your honesty, Amber. Takes a lot of guts to make this public. But you can achieve the target yourself.
Personally I think the older a person gets, the more difficult it will be to lose weight. I have numerous pounds to lose (way more than 80+) for privacy reasons I won't tell you the real amount but I Have been going to the gym off and on. It was my New Years Resolution and yet here is the new year of 2012 and I am back where I started. The only benefits I have gotten out of exercise was more energy and slightly better skin nothing drastic. I can honestly say nothing has shrunk, my weight is all in my stomach and it is not any smaller then when I first started. I don't even know why I bother anymore

When I was with my 1st trainer let's call him Bob, he instructed me that in order for a person to lose weight I needed to get my diet on track. You can do all the exercise in the world but still remain the same weight. He instructed that I cut out fast food, junk foods, and as well as processed foods. He did instruct me to keep a food journal I will admit that I did eat some of the foods he advised me to avoid but not nearly as much as when I decided that I needed to get healthy for my own good. I stopped putting salt on my food and limited sauces like ketchup or not use it at all.

In the gym, he had me do an hour of cardiov and 30 minutes of strength training. He would always correct me if I was doing something wrong and he would PUSH me. No pain no gain right? After the work out my body was on FIRE. I was eating healthier foods and feeling great my mind set towards the future of how good and how better I will feel once I get this weight off of me. And then Bob had moved to another city. We rarely keep in touch anymore. We are friends on Facebook but that is about it.

Now I have a new trainer who is very encouraging but I have seen his other clients and frankly they DO seem to be slimming down, nothing drastic but I see some results. He has me on the same routine, I go into the gym Tues-Sat. He likes to focus more on strength while Bob was more focused on cardio exercise. He tells me he puts high emphasis on strength training since muscles burn more calories even when you are not doing any activity. The highest I can lift is 50lbs and strength exercise is more intense than cardio, which is my opinion. However this trainer always seems to be on his cellphone or talking to his buddies rather than focusing on his clients. That is my biggest complaint I have to remind him of how much time has passed and when to move me from machine to machine since I like variety. He is frequently absent I know people have lives but c'mon! I am highly considering switching trainers one who is more serious about helping people change their lives.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:54 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
If I hired a trainer and he talked on his cellphone AT ALL I would fire him on the spot and demand my money back.

Trainers do not make you lose weight and get into shape. They give you the tools to do it yourself.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If I hired a trainer and he talked on his cellphone AT ALL I would fire him on the spot and demand my money back.

Trainers do not make you lose weight and get into shape. They give you the tools to do it yourself.
Nice one.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,056 times
I was in a very popular chain gym in NYC and remember seeing an obese trainer. I could not believe a premium chain gym would hire someone with such a big gut! I also could not believe he actually had clients who listened to him. Seems like a lot of trainers are not actually certified, they just get a crash course from the gym and told to go fetch some suckers (clients). I believe all trainers should be professionally certified.

I use to be completely against trainers hogging up equipment with very obese clients. They should be at the cardio machines and dieting. But then I realized it's better for them to build some muscle so they burn more calories in the long run. They still need to stick to a diet + cardio plan more and strength train less.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:17 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
I was in a very popular chain gym in NYC and remember seeing an obese trainer. I could not believe a premium chain gym would hire someone with such a big gut! I also could not believe he actually had clients who listened to him. Seems like a lot of trainers are not actually certified, they just get a crash course from the gym and told to go fetch some suckers (clients). I believe all trainers should be professionally certified.
Agreed. However, if I was shopping for a PT, I would *ask* them what their qualifications are. Wouldn't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
I use to be completely against trainers hogging up equipment with very obese clients. They should be at the cardio machines and dieting. But then I realized it's better for them to build some muscle so they burn more calories in the long run. They still need to stick to a diet + cardio plan more and strength train less.
Being that you're such a proponent of certification/education for PTs, I assume you are certified or have some sort of excercise science/nutrition degree to back up the bolded claim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness