U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 11:01 AM

167 posts, read 462,371 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to start slowly implementing protein shakes into my diet and workout plan. A friend sells ShapeWay Body Challenge and swears by it.

I've tried to look up any unbiased reviews and haven't found any yet (or I haven't looked enough). While I don't think she would lie to me I'm wondering if there might be something else out there that also includes your daily vitamins and prebiotics.

Next question is if it is good is it a decent price? I don't mind paying but I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth.

Last edited by lawl_rawr; 01-24-2012 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: hit enter too soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 11:11 AM

12,975 posts, read 32,475,532 times
What is your goal?
Why implementation of shakes?
Why the "slowly" implementation of shakes into your diet and workout plan?
Are you looking to lose weight or improve your health? Which is paramount to you?
What is your current diet like?
What is your workout plan like?

Sorry for all the questions, but this will help me(us) who know what we are talking about provide you with some good answers to your question.

Me personally, I would NOT buy any shakes (or shake products/mix) off of anyone. Your friend sells it for profit, not so much to help people. Otherwise, she/he would be giving it away. The ONLY shakes I would drink are whey protein shakes, and to a lesser extent (pre workout ONLY) casein protein shakes. But will ONLY drink them if I am going for improvements in size/weight.

Another reason I would stay away from them is that I have never heard of them before. And I have been around in health/fitness most of my life and have never heard of that company.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:42 PM

167 posts, read 462,371 times
Not a problem and thanks for helping me!

What is your goal? I do need to lose some weight (20 lbs) but my end goal is to be toned and healthy.

Why implementation of shakes? It was suggested along with weight lifting which is what I'd like to start doing more of. The ingredient list is hard to follow for me but it looked like mostly whey protein. She's into bodybuilding herself and uses them but it's also a business so I'm just trying to do be smart about it.

Are you looking to lose weight or improve your health? Which is paramount to you? Losing weight is needed but improving my health is priority. That will be helped when I do lose some weight in the process

What is your current diet like?

Honestly I thought I was feeding my family healthy foods. When I cook for us I don't use much of anything prepackaged. I'll admit marketing gets over on me a few times and here is where I need to be smarter. Smart Balance PB and Simply OJ aren't as healthy as I thought. I just switched my family from soy milk to almond milk. We do occasionally eat out and I will have a soda. Other then that I don't drink it. Neither my husband or I smoke or drink. A glass of wine maybe twice a month tops. I know my two biggest faults are skipping meals and not drinking enough water.

What is your workout plan like? On average I'm at the gym 3 times a week right now. I've mostly been doing some cardio on the elliptical with some resistance because it's easy on my back.

I have nerve damage in my lower back but as long as I'm smart about it I can be active. I can no longer run or anything that requires me to bend over or twist at the waist. I used to do water aerobics and limited certain moves but there isn't an indoor pool on this base. I'd like to stick to the free gym we have here on post instead of paying for a membership out in town.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:58 PM

31,773 posts, read 37,908,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawl_rawr View Post
I know my two biggest faults are skipping meals and not drinking enough water.
why would you think these are your biggest faults? skipping a meal isnt a great idea, but the fault really comes when you overeat in your next meal.

there is really no need for you to use a protein shake. just eat less.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:59 PM

13,251 posts, read 41,196,026 times
Eat less, eat nutritionally better, and exercise more. Better is SO subjective, isn't it? My motto is "more bang for the buck." That means, if you're eating 3 meals in a single day, those three meals, combined, should contain 100% or more of the RDA of the usual "essential nutrients" - vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, fiber, protein. The only things you -should- feel any need to supplement, are if you are deficient, or perhaps a single multi-vitamin in the morning that includes in its ingredients iron, calcium, and vitamin D.

If you're not getting enough protein and really feel the need to add more, buy some powdered eggwhite and sprinkle a teaspoon of it to over your dinner. Or just eat more protein. Or you can even buy liquid eggwhites (like eggbeaters or whatever) and make yourself a single scrambled egg every day, made with one whole egg plus one egg's worth of eggwhites.

For exercise, try some seated leg presses to work on strengthening your butt and hamstrings. Also, since you have a bad lower back (so do I), you might consider trying to do crunches on a yoga ball. It takes some getting used to, to get your balance. But once you have it figured out, you'll find there's little pressure on your back at all, and your abdomen gets a serious workout. It will -also- help strengthen the muscles surrounding your lower spine.

What you do, is think of the yoga ball as the letter O. Think of the spot you sit on the open space on the letter C. Your butt goes right against that open space. Your feet should be flat on the floor. Now lean back, SLOWLY, until the ball is cradling your spine. Stretch your arms behind your neck, clasp your hands together, and *carefully* pull yourself up into a sitting position using your stomach and back muscles. You can adjust your position to suit your needs but unless you're recovering from surgery or have fused lower disks, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do 1 set of 10, every day that you work out, for the first couple of weeks. Add another set the third week, and by the fifth week you should be doing 3 sets of 10 every time you work out.

Currently I do 3 sets of 20 every time I work out but it took awhile to lead up to it. Back problems really -do- get in the way of workouts and a lot of fitness people just plain don't understand that.

Also, if your gym has an ARC trainer, switch every other visit between the elliptical and the ARC. ARC burns off a lot more calories per hour, with a similar comfort level. In other words, you don't have to work -as hard- on the ARC, to burn the same amount of calories as you do on the elliptical, in the same period of time.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:57 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,167,537 times
Those shakes meant to replace meals that you would otherwise overeat at...

I stopped protein shakes (powder, of my own concoction) and I have noticed no difference in strength gains.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:41 PM

the way that they sell that product is a joke. it looks like its probably not a terrible product, but it is an incredible rip off. you would have to be a total sucker to buy it. it looks like they are selling it for about $22 a pound, but they are trying to be sneaky about letting you figure that out. if you buy from them, you are rewarding bad behavior and you are getting ripped off.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:59 AM

3,994 posts, read 4,335,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawl_rawr View Post
I'll admit marketing gets over on me a few times and here is where I need to be smarter. Smart Balance PB and Simply OJ aren't as healthy as I thought.
So don't make the same mistake here.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the way that they sell that product is a joke. it looks like its probably not a terrible product, but it is an incredible rip off. you would have to be a total sucker to buy it. it looks like they are selling it for about $22 a pound, but they are trying to be sneaky about letting you figure that out. if you buy from them, you are rewarding bad behavior and you are getting ripped off.
The price for Shapeway is within a few pennies per serving of the number one rated meal replacement, IdealShake, on the mealreplacementshakereviews.com site, which received a perfect 10 for value. I have fouind it to be very effective in helping me to lose weight. I have lost about 13 pounds since the first of the year and I feel good. And yes, I am exercising and trying to eat well, which is a part of the weight loss, but I have been doing that for 3 years now. ShapeWay definitely helped me past the plateau I was stuck on for about 2 years.
ShapeWay is much more than a protein shake, it is a true meal replacement with 100%, or more, of the RDA of 20+ vitamins and minerals.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRGuy View Post
The price for Shapeway is within a few pennies per serving of the number one rated meal replacement, IdealShake, on the mealreplacementshakereviews.com site, which received a perfect 10 for value. I have fouind it to be very effective in helping me to lose weight. I have lost about 13 pounds since the first of the year and I feel good. And yes, I am exercising and trying to eat well, which is a part of the weight loss, but I have been doing that for 3 years now. ShapeWay definitely helped me past the plateau I was stuck on for about 2 years.
ShapeWay is much more than a protein shake, it is a true meal replacement with 100%, or more, of the RDA of 20+ vitamins and minerals.
oh wow, i didnt realize it was within a few pennies of the number 1 shake on mealreplacement reviews.com. that site sounds so legitimate.

like i said, im sure its a decent enough product if you dont mind being ripped off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness