Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 11:17 PM

35 posts, read 107,070 times

Advertisements

So right now, I'm about 5'8", 175. Have a bit of a beer belly, and kinda skinny all over. Not a whole lot of muscle tone.

I have a buddy of mine, who I actually would like to have the type of body he has. But he doesn't give away his workout secrets.

I'd like to know, how I can get a body like this..

Is it just lots of heavy weights, or should i throw in some cardio, and heavy protein? I also like the veiny forearm look. Can anybody please tell me how to get a body like this, and what kind of routine i should be on?
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to get a body like this..-ip.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 07:51 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,366,022 times
www.deepsquatter.com

Old 02-01-2012, 08:00 AM

You need a long, stable, diet plan. Lean meats and on occassion, red meat (by that I mean once a week, maybe twice), lots of vegetables and fruit, carbohydrates for the energy you need (figure this one out on your own). Much easier to eat healthy and get the right amount of nutrients/calories than drinking a gallon of milk a day.

Barbell curls, no. Wasteful exercise for your type. Did nothing for me, I gained more strength and muscle from compound movements. Mainly, because the amount of weight I was moving and how much that stressed on my CNS/muscle groups. Moving 300+ pounds on a deadlift is more efficient than 55 pounds on a barbell curl.

upper 1 (day 1) - bench/barbell row/mil press (5x5); incline/pullups/shrugs 5x5 and do pull ups in sets of 5 until you can't anymore... can also add in + 1 more back exercise

lower 1 (day 2) - squat/front squat/leg press/glute raise/hyperext

day off (day 3)

upper 2 - same as upper 1, except possibly use dumb bells or switch up order

lower day 2 - deadlifts/front squat/leg press/glute

day off (or 2)... can also do u1/l1/u2/l2/2day off

This is usually a maint. phase for me. 5x5/5x8/5x3 are usual set/rep routines. Sometimes I'll do pyramids with weight, i.e., pick up 100lb dumb bells for bench press then go up by 5, until I reach 120 then go down to 95. sometimes i'll do as many sets/reps until i get tired and it's just dependent on what weight i want to do. i do different things when i want to increase strength or weight...

Old 02-01-2012, 08:21 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,008,897 times
Good workout plan, tommodonahue! I follow something similar to that. Good stuff!

Ian

Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,979,336 times
Start with your diet.

To get a "veiny" look ... you need to lower your body fat percentage.

First, eliminate ALL fast food, hamburgers, hotdogs, pizza, cake, candy, cookies, deep fried foods, soda, and all foods high in sugar and/or saturated fat.

Make your diet a healthy one, consisting of lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grain breads and cereals, lean (low fat) meats like skinless chicken breast and turkey breast, fish, beans (for protein), nuts (for healthy fats), fat-free cottage cheese, fat-free yogurt.

Watch your calories each day ... so you don't overeat.

And drink plenty of water.

To lose weight, you need to eat less calories than you burn each day.

To determine how many calories you burn each day, first you start with your BMR (basal metabolic rate).

Your BMR is the number of calories you'd burn if you lay in bed all day long.

Based on your height/weight/my estimated guess of your age being around 30, your BMR currently is 1816, using the below BMR calculator:

BMR Calculator

This means you will always burn at least 1816 calories regardless of what other activities you do each day. Next, you add to the 1816, all calories burned based on other activities you do.

Here is a sample online calculator that shows how many calories you'd burn during various exercises:

The Most Accurate Calories Burned Calculator,

After you determine approximately how many calories you typically burn each day, then make sure to eat less calories than that number to lose weight.

Another more simple approach for losing weight is to simply eat around 10 - 12 times your "goal weight" in calories. So if your goal weight is 145 lbs, then you want to start eating around 1450 calories per day. Once you reach your goal weight, then you raise your calories to a number which helps you maintain this new weight.

So focus on your diet, and start eating healthy foods, in moderate portions.

Learn to read food labels, and learn how many calories food contains based on a serving size (e.g. one cup of beans, 4 weighted ounces of chicken breast (pre-cooked weight), 8 fluid ounces of orange juice, etc.). Serving sizes are extremely important for counting calories.

Then as already mentioned above, you will need to lift weights on a regular basis to grow muscle.

You also need to eat plenty of protein each day to help your muscles grow, so make sure you eat lots of foods high in protein such as poultry, fish, cottage cheese, beans, milk, etc. You can add to this protein supplements, such as protein bars and protein shakes.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:09 PM

471 posts, read 1,606,466 times
I'm no physiology expert, but I think it should be mentioned that a person's DNA plays a major role in what their body is capable of.

For example, I'm pretty much (rough estimate here) 60% endomorph and 40% mesomorph....and definitely no ectomorph in there! I am 5'10" and can gain muscle mass relatively easily but even when I was wrestling regularly (college folkstyle club) and weighed @165lbs I still had a "tire" around my middle, albiet a small one and despite lots of reps in the weight room along with the multitude of repeated actions during practice, my muscle mass was never very "cut" and unless I was doing something strenuous or was flexing on purpose, it felt pretty soft.

OTOH.......there were guys that shared my height and weight but their torsos were flat as a pancake (and had what some people call an adonis belt) and each muscle group looked like it was cut from granite and almost felt like that even when they weren't flexing/doing something strenuous. These were also the same people who could eat anything they wanted & in huge amounts and not gain weight, something I wish *I* could do myself because I love eating and trying new foods.

So no one should get discouraged if they cannot achieve what other people seem to be able to gain with little effort.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:43 PM

As time goes on and you know your diet, you don't need to count calories anymore... you just sort of 'know' what to eat and what not to, yet stay over/under and reach certain goals based on what you eat.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,383,937 times
Any man that wears a backwards baseball cap immediately surrenders any claim of being hot. The sole exception is JFK. Jr.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:14 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,908,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Any man that wears a backwards baseball cap immediately surrenders any claim of being hot. The sole exception is JFK. Jr.
Any guy that takes a picture like that surrenders a lot of things.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:01 AM

4,429 posts, read 8,115,913 times

The Situation Shirt — White V-Neck

Oh and your buddy is a d-bag for not wanting to help you.

The other CDers have given you some great advice. Start from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness