Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 05:45 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times

Advertisements

Advice? Experiences? Record longest you've been able to hold one position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 04:11 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Advice? Don't worry about holding them too long unless you have a specific reason to. Instead, make them harder by adding movement. For example alternate lifting one foot off the floor. Next, put your feet 18-24 inches apart and alternate lifting one arm from the floor and extending it so that your limbs are in an X shape. Stabilizing core muscles while taking the limbs through dynamic motion has great carry over to athletic abilities.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Advice? Experiences? Record longest you've been able to hold one position?
My experience is I don't do them. My lower back won't allow it, even when done on my knees. When the rest of the class is dong them, I do an ab exercise instead.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:55 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
My experience is I don't do them. My lower back won't allow it, even when done on my knees. When the rest of the class is dong them, I do an ab exercise instead.
Sounds like you may need to strengthen your lower back, and core in general. The irony is that planks are great for your core.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Advice? Don't worry about holding them too long unless you have a specific reason to. Instead, make them harder by adding movement. For example alternate lifting one foot off the floor. Next, put your feet 18-24 inches apart and alternate lifting one arm from the floor and extending it so that your limbs are in an X shape. Stabilizing core muscles while taking the limbs through dynamic motion has great carry over to athletic abilities.
My favorite plank modification is starting in a forearm plank, then alternating dipping each hip to the ground.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Sounds like you may need to strengthen your lower back, and core in general. The irony is that planks are great for your core.
I know! Isn't that crazy? I actually have had lower back problems since I was thrown off a horse as a small child injuring my tailbone.

They keep telling me planks shouldn't hurt my lower back, but they do, even with modification. So, instead of fighting with them, I just do other core exercises while the rest of the class planks.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:17 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
The longest I have gone for time on forearm planks is 2 minutes and 15 seconds. That was a year or so ago, at which point I started to incorporate weighted planks. Now my max is 1 minute & 15 seconds with a 45lb plate on my lower back/glutes. Those last 10-15 seconds are killer, forearms shaking and such.

On a sidenote, I think having that plate on my back looks sort of badass as the gym haha.

But yeah, those variations are pretty tough too.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I know! Isn't that crazy? I actually have had lower back problems since I was thrown off a horse as a small child injuring my tailbone.

They keep telling me planks shouldn't hurt my lower back, but they do, even with modification. So, instead of fighting with them, I just do other core exercises while the rest of the class planks.
If planks are hurting your lower back, your core stabilizers need some work in a position and with a resistance level that doesn't hurt your back. Once you have built up your ability to stabilize well with other moves, you may be able to try the planks again with success.

Have you tried pallof presses? They can be done seated, kneeling, or standing, and you have infinite control over how much resistance to use. Done correctly, they can really challenge the core.

Everything Pallof Press - Tony Gentilcore

Old 02-02-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
If planks are hurting your lower back, your core stabilizers need some work in a position and with a resistance level that doesn't hurt your back. Once you have built up your ability to stabilize well with other moves, you may be able to try the planks again with success.

Have you tried pallof presses? They can be done seated, kneeling, or standing, and you have infinite control over how much resistance to use. Done correctly, they can really challenge the core.

Everything Pallof Press - Tony Gentilcore
Interesting! I've not seen them before. I'd have to figure out a way to do that with no equipment.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Interesting! I've not seen them before. I'd have to figure out a way to do that with no equipment.
All you need are some exercise bands that come with a door anchor, and then you can adjust the difficulty simply by moving closer to the door for easy, or further to make it harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness