Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:25 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,738 times

Advertisements

I recently was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I am a middle aged female, age 54, who is overweight (182 lbs/somewhere between 5'5" and 5'6") and also struggles with hypertension. I also have some foot issues, high arches and metarasalgia so I need to be careful on high impact activities and stretching is a must for me.

In the month that I have been diagnosed with diabetes, I have lost 10 lbs via diet/exercise plus the medication Metformin. I have been walking daily 30-150 minutes.

I would like to join a gym, but have no idea how to go about it. Yes, I do have clearance from my doctor. I'm both clueless and intimidated at the same time. I've been overweight most of my life, even as a child. Totally non-athletic, always the last person picked in school in gym class. The last time I set foot in a gym for exercise was in June 1975. I rejoiced the day I could finally burn that ugly gym suit that we were required to wear. Do keep in mind that back in those days, school gyms did not have training equipment, and public gyms for adults were only the "Y" and used my musclehead guys, and not young women. So formal exercise has never been part of my life or anything I would consider.

But the diabetes diagnosis is changing my thinking. I would like to try working out at a gym and am considering Planet Fitness at $10/mon. Cheap, nearby. Good/bad idea? Feels like the least threatening option. I did try Curves once about 6 yrs ago when I went down from 223 lbs to 150 lbs, but hated Curves, mainly due to cliquish women there. I just drove by Planet Fitness earlier today, sat in the parking lot trying to gather courage to go in.

I have no idea what gym etiquette is, no idea what to wear/bring. Water? Towel? Wiping down equipment? Are gyms air conditioned in the summer? Will someone be there to at least get me started on the equipment? Remember I'm clueless, never used a treadmill, stationary bike (although I do ride a real bike in decent weather), and have no idea what an elliptical truly is let alone get on one.

I am looking for positive suggestions, questions I should ask, and some of your thoughts in general. Please keep all remarks positive. I already know that I'm fat, and not in shape. There is no need to pile on as I'm already well versed in beating myself up on this.

Thank you in advance for your constructive comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 02:38 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I recently was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I am a middle aged female, age 54, who is overweight (182 lbs/somewhere between 5'5" and 5'6") and also struggles with hypertension. I also have some foot issues, high arches and metarasalgia so I need to be careful on high impact activities and stretching is a must for me.

In the month that I have been diagnosed with diabetes, I have lost 10 lbs via diet/exercise plus the medication Metformin. I have been walking daily 30-150 minutes.

I would like to join a gym, but have no idea how to go about it. Yes, I do have clearance from my doctor. I'm both clueless and intimidated at the same time. I've been overweight most of my life, even as a child. Totally non-athletic, always the last person picked in school in gym class. The last time I set foot in a gym for exercise was in June 1975. I rejoiced the day I could finally burn that ugly gym suit that we were required to wear. Do keep in mind that back in those days, school gyms did not have training equipment, and public gyms for adults were only the "Y" and used my musclehead guys, and not young women. So formal exercise has never been part of my life or anything I would consider.

But the diabetes diagnosis is changing my thinking. I would like to try working out at a gym and am considering Planet Fitness at $10/mon. Cheap, nearby. Good/bad idea? Feels like the least threatening option. I did try Curves once about 6 yrs ago when I went down from 223 lbs to 150 lbs, but hated Curves, mainly due to cliquish women there. I just drove by Planet Fitness earlier today, sat in the parking lot trying to gather courage to go in.

I have no idea what gym etiquette is, no idea what to wear/bring. Water? Towel? Wiping down equipment? Are gyms air conditioned in the summer? Will someone be there to at least get me started on the equipment? Remember I'm clueless, never used a treadmill, stationary bike (although I do ride a real bike in decent weather), and have no idea what an elliptical truly is let alone get on one.

I am looking for positive suggestions, questions I should ask, and some of your thoughts in general. Please keep all remarks positive. I already know that I'm fat, and not in shape. There is no need to pile on as I'm already well versed in beating myself up on this.

Thank you in advance for your constructive comments.
A lion always sits between the exercise bike and elliptical. The moment you walk in, it's going to jump on you and eat you

Seriously, take a trip to the gym 4 to 5 days and explore. There's no real etiquette. Take a look at what each machine is like. Best time is after 8 pm. It's empty.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:50 PM

410 posts, read 742,966 times
There are some national gyms that offer a free week to see if you are interested, and some also offer an orientation for new customers. It can't hurt to call and ask if they offer something like that. If you are uncomfortable you should not hesitate to ask one of the employees how to use the machines and equipment. You could even consider purchasing a personal training session so that you'll know what exactly to do in your workout.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Do you have a friend that would join with you? Or at least go with you for the first visit?

I've not joined a traditional gym with equipment, but I believe the staff there will be happy to show you around. Tours to new members are standard, I think. Most have personal trainers on staff, too. It might be a good idea to invest in a session or two to make sure you are using the machines the right way and to be sure you won't injure yourself. AND, they can help you with before and after stretching which is very important.

I ALWAYS take a bottle of water with me when I work out. A lot of people take towels, it really depends on how much you sweat I'm not a big sweater and I stand near a fan so I don't drip.

Just do it! Good luck!

Old 02-02-2012, 02:53 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
Just recently joined the Y myself and found swimming the best for me. I can do laps at my own pace, have a lane to myself, and it is no impact. It uses all your muscles while raising your heart rate, and you don't sweat! I'm trying for 3 days a week of swimming, followed by a relaxing 10-15 minutes in the sauna. Two days a week, I do Zumba. You can start Zumba by signing up for Zumba Gold. It is designed for active older people who have a hard time following the fast beat and high energy of regular Zumba. I think your success rate will climb if you vary activities rather than just sitting at one type of machine. It isn't as boring.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:05 PM

664 posts, read 1,027,848 times
I agree 8pm is an excellent time and most gyms do give you a free wk. to try it out. Ask and I am sure they will offer someone to show you how to use the equipment . Buy am inexpensive gym bag and a sml. bottle of water and a towel. Just wear comfortable exercise pants and wear a tee shirt. Don't forget You will see everone with earbuds on. and remember we are all alone together with all our new gadgets. You might see some paper towels and a cleaner to wipe the equipment dow after using it. Everyone is really into themselves so no one will notice you.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:21 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
I'm 45 and have been working out regularly at a gym (either Ballys or 24 Hr. Fitness) for 22 years now. It' part of my life, makes me feel good when I'm done, and I generally enjoy being there. When I first started, I really didn't want to. But a friend dragged me along and taught me how to work out. I've never been overweight, but as soon as I started seeing my muscles getting bigger, I was hooked, and especially when people started noticing/complimenting me.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing with the walking (cardio). Do you know any women who work out? That would be a good person to teach you. Otherwise, a few sessions with one of the gym's personal trainers would help.

Etiquette: Some gyms require you to carry a towel, even if you aren't a "sweater". I personally don't bring a water bottle and go get a sip of water from the fountain between each exercise. And be aware if other people are waiting on the equipment you're using. If I see someone who obviously is waiting on the equipment I'm on, I'll ask them if they want to work in, meaning you take turns doing "sets"

And when you use a piece of equipment/machine, you to sets. I always do four sets. For each set, I do a certain number of reps (repetitions) for each set, which varies by exercise. Here's an explanation: What are reps and sets? Gym terms explained

Old 02-02-2012, 03:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I go to my city's community center's fitness and aquatic center. I realize that not everybody's community has this resource, but ours is very nice, and a preferable atmosphere, to me, when compared to the the "name" gyms. I enjoy the less hardcore clientele, it's very affordable, and there are a lot of included perks with the membership, such as all classes being free to members. They also serve a wide range of population, so they tailor some classes to different age groups...there are classes suited for seniors, suited for children, suited for people rehabbing various injuries where they can work with PTs, etc. They also do orientation to machines for people new to them, and there are lots of employees around to help if you have questions. It's very user-friendly.

The basics for working out, for me...

-Gym bag (I got an inexpensive one from Target, works fine).
-Good shoes that suit my main activities.
-Comfortable clothes (for me, track pants, sports bra, tank), suit if going in the pool.
-I used to bring a water bottle, but now I just go to the drinking fountain after my run/class, etc. I like having less stuff to schlep around with me.
-Towel if I'm swimming.
-iPod/earbuds. The music helps me keep my pace, and it has a Nike + fitness application that tracks my workout.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:04 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
I have no idea what gym etiquette is, no idea what to wear/bring.
Wear whatever you're comfortable in. My gym is hot and stuffy, but I still wear a long-sleeved wicking shirt to soak up the sweat.
Quote:
Water? Towel?
Water if you like; I hate lugging stuff around the gym with me, so I usually don't bring a water bottle. Do bring a towel; I use mine behind my head and shoulders when I'm on the weight equipment, and then to wipe up whatever sweat I've left behind.

Quote:
Will someone be there to at least get me started on the equipment?
Usually yes, but ask when you're gathering information about whatever gym you join.

Quote:
Remember I'm clueless, never used a treadmill, stationary bike (although I do ride a real bike in decent weather), and have no idea what an elliptical truly is let alone get on one.
Treadmill walking is nothing like walking outdoors. The treadmill is in charge, not you. Although it's fun to play with the speeds and incline, and to experiment with the programming options. I like ellipticals; they take a little getting used to as you find a stride that works for you. I'd been walking three miles every day for six months before I climbed onto an elliptical, and was wiped out after 10 minutes. Now I'm good for an hour or two.

Good luck!

Old 02-02-2012, 06:38 PM

198 posts, read 483,399 times
Quote:
Take heart. You will see people of every shape, size, age and fitness level at the gym. It's kind of like going to the driving range to practice your golf swing. You can slice it, hook it, top it, or whiff completely and no one will know except the guy next to you, and he won't care because he's got his own problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness