Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times

Advertisements

A friend and I have decided to start improving our lives, and part of that involves doing something healthy and productive. Why not running? Tomorrow I'm starting the Couch to 5K program and my friend found a race in late March. It's not a super competitive race thankfully.

What say you, do you think I'll be able to jog most of it by then? I admit I'm very out of shape but I plan on sticking to this routine like glue. I've had it with being out of shape and I wanna do something like 5Ks since they give me a goal to work towards and they're often for food causes. And most runners I know say they're fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 03:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
To me, 6 weeks sounds way too ambitious, but then again maybe not if you just focus on completing the distance, and not at all on speed. Six months would be better than six weeks. Ramping up too fast commonly results in injury, and once you become injured you will have to stop your running, so what good is that? It's counterproductive.

It probably depends on your age, too. I'd guess that if you're 25 years old it's a lot more doable than if you are 45.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:03 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,462 times
To me 1 week seems doable, with no prior exercise habit at all, as you haven't specified the time frame to run run 5k within.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:23 PM

526 posts, read 955,425 times
When I did the couch to 5k it took me 10-12 weeks to be able to run 5km without stopping and gasping for air under 30 minutes. Now, only you now how much endurance you have, how passionate, how much energy, etc. I dislike running so if you like it maybe you'd have a better time training than I did. If you are not able to run 2 miles now, I'd think 5k in 6 weeks is very ambitious. A lot of new runner get injured because they do not take it slow, so take good care of those legs, and they'd take care of you.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:43 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
A friend and I have decided to start improving our lives, and part of that involves doing something healthy and productive. Why not running? Tomorrow I'm starting the Couch to 5K program and my friend found a race in late March. It's not a super competitive race thankfully.

What say you, do you think I'll be able to jog most of it by then? I admit I'm very out of shape but I plan on sticking to this routine like glue. I've had it with being out of shape and I wanna do something like 5Ks since they give me a goal to work towards and they're often for food causes. And most runners I know say they're fun.
Set daily and weekly goals. It is difficult for anyone to predict what you can do without knowing your current physical condition and motivation to train. By the time of the race you should be able to determine your goal for the race.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Sign up right now and start training! Worse case scenario, you cant run and the money goes to charity. If you cant run the full 5k by then, no big deal; run what you can, walk the rest. Since its a non-competitive race, i suspect others will be in the same boat.

Best case scenario is you run the full 5k, feel good, and it kick-starts a running addiction, and treat yourself to a new pair of running shoes

Don't go balls out on training. Take it slow and give yourself time to recover. Checkpoint on week 3 to see how you are doing. If you can run 1.5 Miles comfortably, great you are 1/2 the way there.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:53 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
You can go out right now and do a 5k. That really isnt that much. Heck, run/jog/walk and you can get it done in 30-35 minutes with ZERO preparation/training.

This is your first 5k so I say just set a goal of FINISHING. Dont worry about anything else. If you KNOW you will finish, then follow the 5 week program EXACTLY!!! Either way, you'll be proud of yourself for doing it.

For me, 5k is the perfect distance for my personal fitness goals/maintenance. Not too far, not too short, its the perfect distance. I just go out and try to run it as fast as I possibly can each time.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:26 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times
Unless you're obese or 100% sedentary, running 3 miles in 6.5 weeks should not be difficult. Three miles is not a long distance at all. You could do a slow 12 minutes a mile jog and finish it. Do NOT try for any speed, you have no foundation for doing any speed work.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Running a 5k in 6.5 weeks doesn't sound too difficult. You only need to cover ~360 feet per day. Should be easy assuming you're a human being.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:55 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Yep, I would just start the couch to 5k program, get as far as you can with it and just go as hard as you feel comfortable with in the actual race, walking when you need to. You'll be fine assuming you have no physical problems or are severely out of shape. People do breast cancer 5k walk/runs cold all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness