Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:47 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,831,056 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone has used some of these newer cardio machines that aren't your traditional treadmill or bike. I'm not a big fan of the elliptical but they seem extremely popular. I used one yesterday that looked almost like the Gazelle trainer on the old infomercials but allowed for a combo of up/down "stair-stepping" and actual strides. Almost like running on a cloud. My gym also just got another type that looks kind of like an elliptical but offers side-to-side movement in addition to up and down, almost like ice skating.

Now, being a younger guy, I vastly prefer running outside or the treadmill. I'm not a big elliptical fan. However, these two newer machines gave me a crazy good cardio workout. I felt way more tired (and more drenched) after using each of these but it felt easier on my body likely due to the low-impact nature of each machine.

At first I was almost embarrassed to use them, as the only people I ever see on them are the gym divas who put it on the lowest setting so as not to ruin their makeup. But I gotta tell ya, I don't care if I'm the only man in human history to actually use these machines, they gave me a much better workout than the treadmill tends to. Anyone else used these machines? Anyone actually like them? Anyone found any other interesting cardio machines that aren't just a gimmick? I work out hard with modified HIIT on cardio days and these machines certainly presented no barriers to really pushing my intervals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 12:04 PM

10,304 posts, read 10,550,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Just wondering if anyone has used some of these newer cardio machines that aren't your traditional treadmill or bike. I'm not a big fan of the elliptical but they seem extremely popular. I used one yesterday that looked almost like the Gazelle trainer on the old infomercials but allowed for a combo of up/down "stair-stepping" and actual strides. Almost like running on a cloud. My gym also just got another type that looks kind of like an elliptical but offers side-to-side movement in addition to up and down, almost like ice skating.

Now, being a younger guy, I vastly prefer running outside or the treadmill. I'm not a big elliptical fan. However, these two newer machines gave me a crazy good cardio workout. I felt way more tired (and more drenched) after using each of these but it felt easier on my body likely due to the low-impact nature of each machine.

At first I was almost embarrassed to use them, as the only people I ever see on them are the gym divas who put it on the lowest setting so as not to ruin their makeup. But I gotta tell ya, I don't care if I'm the only man in human history to actually use these machines, they gave me a much better workout than the treadmill tends to. Anyone else used these machines? Anyone actually like them? Anyone found any other interesting cardio machines that aren't just a gimmick? I work out hard with modified HIIT on cardio days and these machines certainly presented no barriers to really pushing my intervals.
I belong to a YMCA and it has a couple different kinds of elliptical machines. There are probably close to as many men who use these as women. I do notice a lot more people walking on the treadmills rather than running. The ellipticals give a different type of workout compared to running, either on a treadmill or outside. I find you can get more of a workout in your hips due to the longer strides depending on the settings. I think it is a good alternative to running and may even help prevent injuries due to the change.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:39 AM

200 posts, read 564,338 times
Years ago, when I was a member of a gym, I tried the elliptical since they were so popular, but I really didn't feel a burn. I would watch the calorie counter on the elliptical and for the same amount of time I would burn more calories on the elliptical than a treadmill, but I didn't feel it (not that I completely trust the calorie counters on the machines, I just use it as a small reference). So I stopped using the ellipticals. But maybe I was just using it wrong . If I get back into a gym, I might give it a another try

Old 03-02-2012, 08:54 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,793,139 times
I have used the elliptical, treadmill and hill climber/stair master at the gym for the past ten years. The elliptical has been the best in terms of providing strength building resistance for the arms to push/pull against compared to the other machines. There is a locked grip on the stair master and of course the treadmil is hands free unless you are cheating. The elliptical also was non-existent in terms of impact on my knees compared to the treadmill or indoor track.

I can run at 6mph for 2 hours on the treadmill, 1.5 hrs at 6mph on the stair master but 1hr at 9mph is the best I can muster on the elliptical.

Of course, it all depends on where you set the resistance settings to any of the machines.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-02-2012 at 09:36 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 09:15 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,831,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I can run at 6mph for 2 hours on the treadmill, 1.5 hrs at 6mph on the stair master but 1hr at 9mph is the best I can muster on the elliptical.
Other than the treadmill, it's not really clear what "speed" means. Is it how fast the stairs are moving? That means 6 mph at a steep incline on the stair master. On the elliptical what on earth does speed mean? Is it supposed to be running equivalent? Is it speed based on some rotating flywheel?

Quote:
Of course, it all depends on where you set the resistance settings to any of the machines.
Correct, which is why the speed comparison on an elliptical or any of those non-traditional cardio machines isn't really all that relevant. When I'm on those machines I use the resistance to amp up my intervals, usually maxing out the machine on the top of each interval without sacrificing "speed".

Old 03-02-2012, 09:25 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,793,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Other than the treadmill, it's not really clear what "speed" means. Is it how fast the stairs are moving? That means 6 mph at a steep incline on the stair master. On the elliptical what on earth does speed mean? Is it supposed to be running equivalent? Is it speed based on some rotating flywheel?

Correct, which is why the speed comparison on an elliptical or any of those non-traditional cardio machines isn't really all that relevant. When I'm on those machines I use the resistance to amp up my intervals, usually maxing out the machine on the top of each interval without sacrificing "speed".

1st question response: Speed, the mph reading, is horizontal movement. Always has been. There is a vertical step indicator on treadmills to indicate changes in elevation which is not connected to speed. Elliptical reminds me of walking/running with skies attached although the movements are more constrained. There is an elliptical or stair master that does not have a peddling motion?

2nd question response. I posit anyone who uses equipment long enough knows the degree of tension placed on their body during a routine and the amount of exhaustion derived at the conclusion. That is the case above in the duration reached per piece. I could do more with some and less with others but it would give a different burn at the end.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-02-2012 at 09:56 AM..

Old 04-08-2012, 02:32 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,598,153 times
Ellipticals get a bad rap. I think this is because most people don't exert themselves on them but instead chat with their neighbors or watch tv. As for me, when I'm done I am normally drenched and gassed. These can be great machines but you've got to push yourself.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:43 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,981,514 times
I love the elliptical also. I am pretty nicked up so it allows a solid cardio workout at super low impact. I don't hold onto the handles, I prefer to use my core to keep my balance and just do a normal running motion. Great for intervals or steady state.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:08 PM

22,609 posts, read 24,431,586 times
I second the eliptical and I use the handles....really good, balanced workout.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:45 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,961,309 times
I think you are referencing the AMT in your first post. It's a combination of elliptical and stair master (plus) and it will give even the fittest a run for their money. Love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness