Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:46 PM

37 posts, read 74,877 times

Advertisements

anyone out there done p90x? i just finished my first week and love it! just wondering how you guys did with it? results you wanted? i recently lost 40lbs(worked at a nursing home lifting people and walking alot not used to working out) but still not in the shape i want to be and worried that i wont be able to lose more or even just tone up particularly in the abs and triceps so howd it work for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 09:05 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,457 times
I've done P90X, its precursor (P90) and Insanity over the last year. I lost 20 pounds. I think P90X is a great program for giving you structure to your work out. I'm not sure I would say it is "extreme," but i think you need to be in some degree of shape to get the most benefit out of it. Those who aren't in shape should start with P90.

While I like P90X, I think it is strong on resistance and a little weaker on Cardio. Insanity is vice versa. I cannot complain about the program though, as it has paid great benefits for me.

Finally, I think the hype you read about it (and the results you can get) are true, but 80% of it is following the nutrition plan. I haven't followed the nutrition religiously for the last six months or so. I have maintained my weight, but haven't continued to lose.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:21 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,157,949 times
I have a few friends that follow it and they're all stacked !!! I just go to the gym 5x a week ... lol

They also watch their diet very carefully -

Old 01-28-2012, 09:34 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,601,893 times
it certainly worked for me. I did a round of p90x last february, and in 90 days lost 61 lbs of excessive weight, cut my body fat in half and got in great athletic shape. Truly a life changing experience for me and thousands of other p90x ers. If you commit to it, stick with their schedule and nutrition, it will work for you too. However, if someone isnt in at least soehwat ok shape i would suggest looking at a pre-cursor power 90 program, which is much less demanding. As of today, im doin the p90x2 which just recently came out, but its very complex and difficlut and I would only recommend it to someone who has done p90x recently or someone who is in a very good to great athletic shape. I believe beachbody has tests on their websaite, which alow you to figure out if youre ready for one of their programs. If you have any questions, shoot me a pm, I know quite a bit of info on it. good luck.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:24 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,522,365 times
I'm looking for a used one I can't afford to buy a new one just yet. I know it's a 6 day a week program. There is a group of people here who meet up once a week on Saturdays who get together and do it as a group. Just doing it once a week at this point I feel the difference. I can't wait to get the program myself. Though I think it will take longer then 90 days for someone like to get get totally back into shape. Even still I'd be better off then I am now. I give it two up!

Old 01-30-2012, 01:51 PM

526 posts, read 954,915 times
I did one round last summer and my arms have never being better, lol. Flabby arms no more! I still do some of the workouts from time to time but I decided to go to the gym now as I didn't feel P90X gave me the results I wanted in my lower body. In terms of strengh, I gained a lot of it. I was not able to do one push up pre-P90X and afterwards I was doing 3 rounds of 5-7 which is A LOT for me. Stick to the program and especially the eating plan. Abs are made in the kitchen, and it does not matter how hard we work out, if we do not eat healthy, we are not going to see excellent results. Good luck with it, it takes commitment and physical/mental strengh to make it through the 90 days.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:48 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,505,101 times
Another gimmick. I stick to basic, free weights and how to use it properly and machines in the gym. Diet is key. Without a proper diet, your exercise is almost obselete.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:46 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,385,976 times
Quote:
Without a proper diet, your exercise is almost obsolete.
This is simply untrue. Just last weekend I completed a marathon. At the post-race get-together we were discussing diet while eating ice cream, drinking beer and eating Doritoes. All of us posted sub-3:30 marathon times and all are over 40. A person a can be super fit and eat junk food. I've known plenty who have over the decades.

Converesely, a person can eat nothing but healthy foods and be obese, unfit and fat. Exercise most emphatically IS the key to whether a person is fit ornot.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:26 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,505,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
This is simply untrue. Just last weekend I completed a marathon. At the post-race get-together we were discussing diet while eating ice cream, drinking beer and eating Doritoes. All of us posted sub-3:30 marathon times and all are over 40. A person a can be super fit and eat junk food. I've known plenty who have over the decades.

Converesely, a person can eat nothing but healthy foods and be obese, unfit and fat. Exercise most emphatically IS the key to whether a person is fit ornot.
Sure, you can burn calories with that but if you eat too much then aren't losing weight. Eating more = more work for you to do and more time required.

Yes, they can be super fit and eat junk if they have a fast metabolism but that will slow down as you age. Mine did after age 30.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:17 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Another gimmick. I stick to basic, free weights and how to use it properly and machines in the gym. Diet is key. Without a proper diet, your exercise is almost obselete.

Diet is at least 50% of any workout routine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness