Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:55 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,413,997 times

Advertisements

yeah, if he sticks with it he'll probably figure it out for himself eventually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 11:55 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,087,136 times
i agree. most likely argument. but its really bad for you.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:04 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,413,997 times
i'm not saying he should eat mcdonald's 4 times a day. he should eat as healthy as he can but if he has to eat some milkshakes or half a bag of chips or whatever to get enough calories then that is probably alright for the short run.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:09 AM

430 posts, read 1,188,506 times
4k sounds like ALOT, the so called "Ultimate Guide To Weight Lifting" says need 2250-2500 at max give or take slightly. Also I do NOT want to get like that white guy in my 1st post, im aiming more towards these results. Once I hit "this" goal I do not want to get any bigger.

Do you think 52 grams of protein a day (from supplements only) will allow me tp reach "my" goal in 5 months time. If not would a year be more be enough time?

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 02:26 PM..

Old 03-08-2012, 07:17 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,515,502 times
This is not really that big of a progression. I started lifting seriously at age 18 (5'10" 155lbs, 29" waist) and gained 20lbs over the first 2-3 months, with no change in waist size. Some of that is partly genetics, but I am hardly an easy-gainer, as I wouldn't be able to go past 185lbs without either getting fat or taking something.

As others mentioned, if you are a true ectomorph (aka, skinny) then running, and especially distance running (anything over 800m) is the absolute worst thing you can do. You can still do cardio, but I would focus more on sprinting and/or plyometrics, which will help build muscle while also burning calories.

There is no need to go overboard with calories, just make sure you are getting a solid helping of protein with every meal and try to eat often throughout the day (5-6 times) to keep a constant supply of nutrients for your body.

Focus on big compound movements (squats/bench/deadlifts/pullups) which work much of the body and also spur testosterone, in addition to more focused movements (lateral raises/curls/triceps), give time to rest and you should be fine.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:57 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,782,951 times
10 to 11 years of dedicated Diet,Gym,and Knowledge could have most looking and feeling like a million bucks. His results are not uncommon over that span of time. You can totally transform your body in six months (not quite as amazing as the gentleman in the photos), imagin what you could accomplish in a decade. Motivation is the Key

Old 03-08-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
10 to 11 years of dedicated Diet,Gym,and Knowledge could have most looking and feeling like a million bucks. His results are not uncommon over that span of time. You can totally transform your body in six months (not quite as amazing as the gentleman in the photos), imagin what you could accomplish in a decade. Motivation is the Key
The thing is I dont want to get that big if that is what you are saying. I wanna get "Asian Dude" big. Not HULK big.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:56 PM

@spacelord75 What did your diet consist of, and did you take any protein supplements how much did you consume?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:26 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,663,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
I'm not trolling I REALLY want to know if he were on steroids. Why, I just dont see how someone could possibly gain this much muscle mass that fast. I need someone experienced people to correct me on this.
Here are some pictures after 1 year of "SOLID" weight lifting.

http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2009/02/19/15/progresspic/3037642orig.jpg (broken link)

http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2009/02/19/15/progresspic/3037622orig.jpg (broken link)

If he were clean are results like his possible without hundreds of grams of protein, more like 40 grams a day.

Heres the link.
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/be...n=progresspics
That guy could easily be natural. When you're at the end of your long-bone growth period and finishing that akward transition from old boy to young man is the easiest time in your life to add mass. Packing on ten pounds of muscle in a period as short as a year for someone with a 6' frame isn't at all unheard of. That ability to gain quickly goes away with time, but you'll be able to add mass naturally every year until you're about forty, plus or minus.

The fact that he could easily be natural doesn't mean that it would be easy to inadvertently develop that body. He does that for a living and obviously has excellent genetics. If someone were to say to him "I would give my life to have that body" he could honestly say "I have." That kind of body requires an unfathomably disciplined diet and a truly astounding committment to training. You don't look like that by hanging out with your friends, enjoying beer to excess once or twice a month and working out hard three times per week. A desk job seriously cuts into your ability to get a body like that, as does a social life, a hobby, a girlfriend, a wife and/or kids. In other words, don't worry about getting too ripped.

The guy pictured in post #14 above is naturally lean, not exactly mesomorphic (but not an endomorph either), is probably fairly strong relative to his bodyweight and, being young, doesn't necessarily need to strictly adhere to a "fighter's diet". Once he gets out of his twenties he'll start to realize that he wasn't actually blessed with a freakishly high metabolism that allowed him to eat a whole bag of double stuff oreos without seeing or feeling any ill effects, rather he was just young and he'll fight to stay ahead of a sub-navel pooch like everyone else. He'll be able to muscle up to an appreciable extent if he committs to body sculpting for a long period of time, but with his natural body chemistry he's not very likely to assume a monster physique. I honestly think that guy is going to be well served to limit his processed protein intake and concentrate on getting enough fatty fish, poultry and game/grass fed meats to meet the demands of his muscular development. Better that way.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:05 PM

483 posts, read 1,555,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post

Do you think 52 grams of protein a day (from supplements only) will allow me tp reach "my" goal in 5 months time. If not would a year be more be enough time?
52g of protein is what a 5'4" female would need to maintain her muscle. You need 3~4 times that much. I'm 6'2" 182 lbs, and I eat 200-250g protein per day when bulking, and 175g when in maintenance mode

There's no such thing as a hardgainer. That's just another way of describing someone with a small appetite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness