Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:49 AM

469 posts, read 1,639,789 times

Advertisements

I am thoroughly interested in taking self defense courses. I would like to know if kickboxing is more or less the same thing and which you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:11 AM

355 posts, read 1,115,210 times
The kickboxing gyms I've been to do NOT focus on self defense. They're merely good for a calorie burning workout, with some time dedicated to learning proper form/technique. One of them had some pretty knowledgeable trainers though (kung fu, muay thai).

If you're solely interested in self defense classes, I would pursue that, be it Krava Maga, karate, etc...

Old 03-13-2012, 08:39 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,764,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
I am thoroughly interested in taking self defense courses. I would like to know if kickboxing is more or less the same thing and which you prefer?
I think kickboxing can be very practical; it's learning how to stand up and strike with all of your body's natural weapons. The problem with striking forms is that if you aren't naturally a pretty good athlete and at least 85th percentile height and weight then you're better off with a can of pepper spray and a willingness to kick testicles (or a gun).

A self defense class is probably a waste of time and money. They'll teach you to fight with car keys, swing a purse like a club, throw canned goods from your grocery bag, gouge eyes and kick balls.

If you're serious about training yourself to fight practically, join a Krav Maga gym.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:45 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,943,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
Self Defense courses and kickboxing are two completely different animals. Kickboxing will teach you NOTHING about self defense. NOTHING!

If you want self defense, then do some research into the martial arts schools in your area. Go and watch at least three classes at each kwoon/dojo/dojang - beginning, intermediate, and advanced. You should clearly see a skill progression and most importantly, you should be able to see HOW that art is being taught.

Also, you should take into consideration your own height, weight, sex, etc. as some arts are better suited to a person's physical size and abilities better than others.

I have almost 20 years experience in teaching three martial arts, I bodyguard for big hollywod events and celebrities and teach seminars to Sherrif Deputies, US Customs Agents (Sky Marshalls), and other professional bodyguard/security personnel. I am also a TRADITIONALIST and despise kickboxing in gyms if they claim it to be anything other than just a cardio workout. That is all you'll get out of it is a cardio workout

What city do you live in? I would be happy to make some recommendations for you on where you should (and should NOT) look.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 AM

810 posts, read 1,807,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Self Defense courses and kickboxing are two completely different animals. Kickboxing will teach you NOTHING about self defense. NOTHING!

If you want self defense, then do some research into the martial arts schools in your area. Go and watch at least three classes at each kwoon/dojo/dojang - beginning, intermediate, and advanced. You should clearly see a skill progression and most importantly, you should be able to see HOW that art is being taught.

Also, you should take into consideration your own height, weight, sex, etc. as some arts are better suited to a person's physical size and abilities better than others.

I have almost 20 years experience in teaching three martial arts, I bodyguard for big hollywod events and celebrities and teach seminars to Sherrif Deputies, US Customs Agents (Sky Marshalls), and other professional bodyguard/security personnel. I am also a TRADITIONALIST and despise kickboxing in gyms if they claim it to be anything other than just a cardio workout. That is all you'll get out of it is a cardio workout

What city do you live in? I would be happy to make some recommendations for you on where you should (and should NOT) look.
Quoted for truth.

This is why a lot of gyms emphasize the word "cardio" when they describe their kickboxing classes. Taken as a cardio workout, kickboxing can get you into shape and burn a ton of calories. But they won't teach you how to fight and defend yourself. You also have to make sure that the cardio kickboxing instructor is properly demonstrating the moves, as the last thing you want to do is injure yourself.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Quoted for truth.

This is why a lot of gyms emphasize the word "cardio" when they describe their kickboxing classes. Taken as a cardio workout, kickboxing can get you into shape and burn a ton of calories. But they won't teach you how to fight and defend yourself. You also have to make sure that the cardio kickboxing instructor is properly demonstrating the moves, as the last thing you want to do is injure yourself.
Is everyone here talking about Thai Bo?

To me, if you're training in kickboxing it's at least as practical as training in boxing. I totally agree if you're talking about a cardio kickboxing class at the Y, which may be what the OP is talking about, but you definitely learn a lot about striking and defending yourself at a kickboxing, sambo, savate or muay thai gym.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:08 PM

810 posts, read 1,807,594 times
It depends on where you are taking a kickboxing class. Is OP taking them in a regular gym like a 24 or Bally's, or at an actual boxing/muay thai/MMA gym? I know some Gold's locations have bags and rings or cages, but I can't speak from experience.

And even though you can learn skills from actually learning kickboxing and hitting bags and sparring, self-defense is a completely different game. You're not trying to win a bout, but rather defend yourself in a life-or-death situation using anything you can.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:45 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,707,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post

Ex: Krav maga would be useless to me at my small size. Jujitsu on the other hand is perfect. Def talk to Mr. Lao. He knows whats up.
Some classes combine the martial art with self defense lessons too.
I think finding your style and that combo would be perfect.

Kickboxing is fun though too. Why not do both?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post

Ex: Krav maga would be useless to me at my small size. Jujitsu on the other hand is perfect. Def talk to Mr. Lao. He knows whats up.
Some classes combine the martial art with self defense lessons too.
I think finding your style and that combo would be perfect.

Kickboxing is fun though too. Why not do both?
You may want to go survey a few krav maga sessions then...

Old 03-14-2012, 07:38 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,707,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
You may want to go survey a few krav maga sessions then...

Mmm...115-125 lbs of me says no.

LOL

Jujitsu is better for self defense type fighting style when you are smaller.

Lao?

Opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness