Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:24 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times

Advertisements

Growing up I played sports all year round. It was mandatory, fun, unknowing exercise every day. I played hockey, lacrosse, and soccer so there wasn't any weight training involved. The summers were filled with swimming and biking all over creation. Never set foot inside a health club, ever.

When I went to college, that all went to a screeching halt. No more mandatory practices or games to get my exercise in. I packed on the pounds and tried to go exercise at the gym like everyone else. That motivation soon went to 0.0%. I could not focus on just exercising. Being on a machine and reading or watching TV, there was no competition associated with it, it just was not for me.

Luckily the college gym had spinning class', hockey once a week, and some other more active exercise options. I was just wondering if others who played sports and never officially exercised run into the same problems I do?

I have been able to find thing I like doing that include cycling, hiking, hockey once a week, xcountry skiing, snow shoeing. Don't get me wrong I enjoy doing them, but they are much more time consuming than going to the gym after work or riding the stationary bike at home. I especially struggle with this in the winter when its dark when I leave for work and dark when I come home. I hope to build a back yard ice rink next year so I hope that will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 10:34 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
Why not make the exercise the sport? Competing against yourself can be the best motivator. I think the problem you are having is there is no "point" to your working out, except aesthetics...which is a subjective destination and about which one can lie to one's self. I talk about them all the time, but how about doing sprinting? It is high intensity, NEVER boring, and you can time yourself...and the watch never lies. Just go to a track and do 100m intervals, timing yourself...always trying to best yourself. Another good route to go is Escalating Density Training with weights...look it up...I can't get into all the details, but it treats the workout as a performance metric, with the goal being to perform as much work as possible moving weights in 15 minute intervals.

In both of the above situations you can be done with your workout in 30 minutes, and you will be devastated. Along with this, you will grow muscle and your metabolism will be off the charts for hours afterwards.

High volume cardio is a losing battle...and this is coming from someone who has run some decent marathons and used to run 50-70 miles per week. Unless your goal is an endurance sport, or you legit love grinding away on a bike or running, you are better served doing shorter duration, but more explosive and intense workouts (and it will save your joints as well).

Old 03-14-2012, 10:35 AM

467 posts, read 664,555 times
I officially exercised for years and no longer do so. Try cross training- do something different every day- intense workouts you can do at home with equipment like kettlebells alternated with walking etc.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I completely agree. I can't handle more than about 20 minutes on a cardio machine before I go cuckoo from boredom. My solution:
1. I only do intervals on the cardio machine. The time flies by.
2. If I don't do intervals, I do sprints (especially on the rower) so I can beat my last time
3. I compete with the person next to me. :P They have no idea probably.
4. I create playlists of new high energy music so I have new stuff to listen to or use pandora

And then I work on strength training in different formats: free weights, machines, slow sets, heavy sets, circuit training. A different thing every time.

I am in and out of the gym in an hour. Anymore cuts into play time.

And then for non-exercise purposes do a fun activity: tennis, walking errands...

Old 03-14-2012, 06:25 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
HIIT could be a nice solution for you. It is not very monotonous, and you can always try for more gains every week.

Also, do a strength conditioning program. Those have clear goals which could be a nice motivational factor.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:39 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I completely agree. I can't handle more than about 20 minutes on a cardio machine before I go cuckoo from boredom. My solution:
1. I only do intervals on the cardio machine. The time flies by.
[...]
4. I create playlists of new high energy music so I have new stuff to listen to or use pandora.
I do the same. I hate exercising and I really need my high energy music to motivate and even distract myself a bit.

I used to practice martial arts but after I busted my knee and had PT for several months, I never went back. I gained weight and I haven't been able to get a new routine. That's why I'm going to the gym every time I have some motivation. Actually I just got home. (Yep, this late).

I'm trying to walk more often and for longer periods. Time to get moving. (Actually I'm getting a new cell phone next month and I think I'll try that Couch to 5K app) Good luck, OP. I know it's hard.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:22 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,820 times
'An hour on the treadmill feels like weekend at traffic school, an hour of basketball feels like 15 minutes'

from this guy: The IF Life

Old 03-15-2012, 12:32 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Growing up I played sports all year round. It was mandatory, fun, unknowing exercise every day. I played hockey, lacrosse, and soccer so there wasn't any weight training involved. The summers were filled with swimming and biking all over creation. Never set foot inside a health club, ever.

When I went to college, that all went to a screeching halt. No more mandatory practices or games to get my exercise in. I packed on the pounds and tried to go exercise at the gym like everyone else. That motivation soon went to 0.0%. I could not focus on just exercising. Being on a machine and reading or watching TV, there was no competition associated with it, it just was not for me.

Luckily the college gym had spinning class', hockey once a week, and some other more active exercise options. I was just wondering if others who played sports and never officially exercised run into the same problems I do?

I have been able to find thing I like doing that include cycling, hiking, hockey once a week, xcountry skiing, snow shoeing. Don't get me wrong I enjoy doing them, but they are much more time consuming than going to the gym after work or riding the stationary bike at home. I especially struggle with this in the winter when its dark when I leave for work and dark when I come home. I hope to build a back yard ice rink next year so I hope that will help.

I know I will send Tom and Bosco into a tizzy with this, but have you looked at CrossFit?

Old 03-15-2012, 12:52 PM

355 posts, read 1,115,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I know I will send Tom and Bosco into a tizzy with this, but have you looked at CrossFit?
I was thinking the exact same thing

Old 03-15-2012, 08:01 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
Tricep kickbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness