Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 01:13 AM

155 posts, read 134,893 times

Advertisements

I played hockey until I was about 21. I am now 31 and would just like to know if that is too old to take up inline skating again as a way to some variety to running and biking? I also have concerns as a man what some people might think I must admit. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 08:52 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,607 times
I see many people (men and women) inline skating on my local bike trail. I've always wanted to try it. It looks like an awesome way to keep in shape.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:14 AM

948 posts, read 3,356,646 times
Default It's a great workout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaw1981 View Post
I played hockey until I was about 21. I am now 31 and would just like to know if that is too old to take up inline skating again as a way to some variety to running and biking? I also have concerns as a man what some people might think I must admit. Any thoughts?

I loovvve my inline skates and would tell anyone interested to give it a try. You can do a cardio workout or work on targeting gluts and legs only by different strides.

As far as standing out, I don't think that's an issue or maybe I'm just oblivious to it? I see bikers, runners and walkers and a few skaters on the trails, but so what? We're all basically there for the same reasons, right? Do wear a helmet but consider a skaters helmet which looks different than a bike helmet. Fwiw, I wear wrist and knee guards with my helmet. Aside from the gear, it's a free workout and a great way to clear your head and get in better shape!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:33 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaw1981 View Post
Im a dude and the ONLY time I would go rollerblading is with a chick. I'd never do it by myself because it DOES look a bit........you know. Less than manly.

Man to man, I say dont do it (but women here and a couple of men will disagree with me). Its one of those things where you should reserve it for going out with a chick you may be dating (or your wife, or if you have like an 8 year old daughter). But not by yourself. If you are alone, just go running or hiking or something.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
31? You are still a youngster.

Maybe this video of Slo-Mo filmed here in San Diego will help answer your question.

Slo-Mo was born in 1943, so that makes him around 63 when this video was taken in 2006.

Interview with Slo-Mo, arguably one of the more popular icons in Mission Beach - YouTube

Slo-Mo is now approaching 70, and he is still rollerblading on Mission Beach nearly every day.

He still skates on one leg, just like in the above video.

His nickname is "slo-mo" because he skates as if he is moving in "slow motion". It's really cool to watch.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:31 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,607 times
I also hear that getting a good pair of skates is important too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness