Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 06:55 PM

645 posts, read 1,960,577 times

Advertisements

You have plenty of time to workout, it's just not important to you. If you want to maintain and lose weight you have to exercise and lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 07:13 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,834,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i bet most obese people who exercise end up gaining weight. they will reward themselves for exercising with additional food. how many fat people in the gym do you see not being fat over time? ive been going to the same gym for 8 years and the same fat people 8 years ago are still fat.
What a bunch of pathetic and hate filled responses. I bet you were mocked as a kid and are now taking out your anger online.

Don't listen to this guy, everybody has a right to work out.

That being said, you should always work out hard and stick to a routine and you'll do just fine.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:20 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,819,508 times
Exercise is mandatory for many reasons, not just weight loss. Avoiding sarcopenia, reducing blood pressure, maintaining balance....the list goes on and on.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,731,749 times
Quote:
i dont live in this theoretical fairytale world you live in. sure people CAN benefit from exercising.
I disagree. Anyone will benefit from exercise -- improved cardiovascular fitness, lower stress, lower blood pressure, lower blood sugar all happen with regular exercise. Even if you make half hearted attempts.

That doesn't mean those benefits will include weight loss or fat loss without improving your eating habits.

Last edited by jade408; 03-29-2012 at 10:21 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,122,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I disagree. Anyone will benefit from exercise -- improved cardiovascular fitness, lower stress, lower blood pressure, lower blood sugar all happen with regular exercise. Even if you make half heated attempts.

That doesn't mean those benefits will include weight loss or fat loss without improving your eating habits.
I agree. Anyone can and will benefit from exercise. Just the feeling of well-being goes a long way.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 AM

17,025 posts, read 16,224,805 times
Quote:
i dont live in this theoretical fairytale world you live in. sure people CAN benefit from exercising. but in reality, very few are going to see any benefit until they have really dedicated themselves and really developed a diet and exercise plan they will stick to. im just suggesting they use a more systematic and thoughtful approach to addressing their problems, not walking into a gym suddenly without knowing what a weight looks like and without cutting anything from their diet and expect to make any difference.
O.k. I can see your point. If you don't make an effort to educate yourself about both nutrition and exercise, your results are going to be limited.

Exercise alone is not going to be enough to lose weight.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 AM

17,025 posts, read 16,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I disagree. Anyone will benefit from exercise -- improved cardiovascular fitness, lower stress, lower blood pressure, lower blood sugar all happen with regular exercise. Even if you make half hearted attempts.

I agree.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:11 AM

4,631 posts, read 4,923,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
What a bunch of pathetic and hate filled responses. I bet you were mocked as a kid and are now taking out your anger online.

Don't listen to this guy, everybody has a right to work out.

That being said, you should always work out hard and stick to a routine and you'll do just fine.
You misunderstand his tone, I read it as sympathetic to the lack of energy fat/metabolically damaged people often have as well as their inability to benefit from the stress of exercise*.

He definitely has a point about food intake. I wasn't obese, but I had a decent amount of extra weight when I was grinding out miles on a treadmill. I wanted to do nothing but eat the rest of the day, and my body isn't great at handling large amounts of food (esp. carbs), so I would be sleepy, sluggish, and inhibited all day.

Solution: cut out the treadmill completely and instead do two sets of sprints a week plus a few simple lifts (deadlifts, squats, etc), walk a couple miles a day, and play the occasional game of pickup basketball. Result: The lack of appetite induction from long treadmill sessions combined with changes in my diet has me in the best shape of my life, at 27. My waist is a couple inches smaller now than it was when I played corner for the football team in high school.

So CaptainNJ's point is very well taken by me. Don't just say, I'm fat, I HAVE TO WORK OUT, and just buy a gym membership and do whatever makes you sweat the most or gives you the most pain. Have a plan that fits you and what you're about.

*BTW, it's very strange that people say exercise categorically "lowers stress." Biologically, exercise is stress, just like running from a bear is stress. For most of us lucky enough NOT to be trapped in some awful cycle of obesity or chronic fatigue, it's good stress, and we come out stronger than before. But not everyone, and those people have other changes they need to make before they just "hit the gym."

Last edited by tribecavsbrowns; 03-30-2012 at 08:22 AM..

Old 03-30-2012, 07:21 AM

9,005 posts, read 13,776,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Exercise is recommended, as long as you watch calorie intake. Let's say you consume 1200 calories a day. You might need to burn more than half so you can get the results you desire.
I think this pretty much sums it up.

What some aren't mentioning is that sure,you don't need exercise to lose weight.

What they don't mention is that it will be the WRONG weight. It won't be fat,it will be muscle.

Dieting by itself is kinda useless.

You can be 230 pounds with 30% body fat. You diet to get down to 160lbs,but guess what?
You still have 30% body fat.
(You can measure body fat with those Tanita scales; they sell them at Walmart and Rite Aid. The cost is $30 to $50.)
Don't go by weight loss,go by body fat loss.

A 200 pound person with 24% body fat is healthier than a 140 pound person with 34% body fat.
As a matter of fact,the 140 pound person in this scenario is clinically obese.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:31 AM

9,005 posts, read 13,776,379 times
Leighpeele.com has good info on fat loss vs weight loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness