Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 02:50 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
The goal should be more healthy and not "thin."

This isn't alcoholism where you have to go cold turkey.

If a person finds that they are "more" healthy and they feel better then they try
for "more-more." The idea is continual improvement with no particular goal in mind.

One more thing: Late dinners are a killer.
OTOH, you can eat as much as you want and anything you want for breakfast.
I don't know why people keep spouting that nonsense that thin=healthy.

Also,losing weight without exercise will result in losing muscle,not body fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 03:26 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer
One more thing: Late dinners are a killer.
OTOH, you can eat as much as you want and anything you want for breakfast.
... the last couple of things you said are just silliness. ... breakfast
counts into your daily calorie totals just as much as dinner ...
It effects your energy level and burn rate.

People that don't eat a good breakfast have low energy levels and that lethargy
contributes to lower calorie burning due to not having a "spring in their step."

If you are healthy and eat late then fine. I find most "late eaters" to be not-so-healthy.
That is not the same as saying all "late eaters" are not-so-healthy. -- Do what works for you.

If someone always exercises in the early evening then has dinner then fine.

We are discussing a person who, basically, doesn't exercise and isn't likely
to do so. A sedentary person who eats a late dinner and just sits around
and goes to bed isn't going to have the day to burn that intake off.

What is "silliness" is treating the huiman body like an automobile and assuming that putting
100,000 btu of energy ( or 100+ million joules ) in a body is the same as putting it into a vehicle.

Timing is important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Also,losing weight without exercise will result in losing muscle,not body fat.
Not really.

The body puts on muscle as it needs to - in order to accomodate loads placed on it
such as running, climbing stairs, hauling the body's own fat around - stuff like that.

The body puts on fat as it receives calories that are not used to build muscle.

Whatever muscle is needed to do the things that a person is used to doing, won't be lost by
dieting. Muscle is not used up because of reduced food intake until most of the fat is gone.

Last edited by mortimer; 04-01-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 04:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:

People that don't eat a good breakfast have low energy levels and that lethargy contributes to lower calorie burning due to not having a "spring in their step."

If you are healthy and eat late then fine. I find most "late eaters" to be not-so-healthy. That is not the same as saying all "late eaters" are not-so-healthy. -- Do what works for you.

What is "silliness" is treating the huiman body like an automobile and assuming that putting
100,000 btu of energy ( or 100+ million joules ) in a body is the same as putting it into a vehicle.
i think your statements of fact arent facts. but where you suggest people do what works for them, thats fine. there are many diets out there and many of them work. i know some people on a diet where they eat very little in the morning and afternoon, and a lot in the evening. they say their energy levels are higher during this diet. i personally find that if i stick to something for a while, my body starts getting used to it and it gets easier over time. i think someone can eat all the calories in the morning or eat them all in the evening, and what will matter most is the total calories not time they ate.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:18 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,820 times
Quote:

contributes to lower calorie burning due to not having a "spring in their step."

If you are healthy and eat late then fine. I find most "late eaters" to be not-so-healthy.
That is not the same as saying all "late eaters" are not-so-healthy. -- Do what works for you.

For the average person I don't think it's important to worry about eating small at night. I think it's more important to focus on your total calorie intake and not worry about what time you eat. I think the "eating late will make you fat" is an old wives tale. Timing does not see to be all that important.

That being said, I have had good success burning fat by not eating breakfast. When you sleep and when you wake up your body is in full on fat burning mode. Fasting for a few hours allows this to continue. When you eat it switches off.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:20 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
I was reading the calories in vs calories out thread and I was wondering is exercise really not needed for weight loss. Right now I am obese and moving to a new city and starting to get a new job. I just don't have time or energy for exercise.

So again is exercise really needed? Provided that you are not starving yourself.
The best thing for you is to eat a vegan diet. It will save your life.
Watch "Forks over Knives" if you have Netflix.

I promise you won't have to starve.

Last edited by Brian.Pearson; 04-01-2012 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: link added

Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
So according to the calories theory, I can even eat junk foods and sill lose weight. lol haha no wonder all my skinny friends who eat horrible manage to stay skinny!
Calories can still kill you, no matter what kind of calories you eat. "Skinny" has nothing to do with it. Want tumors or cancer?

Old 04-01-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Do you watch television at all? Spend time on Facebook or playing video games? If so, you have time to exercise.

It's totally understandable that you don't have any idea about what to do at the gym and it can be very intimidating. The good news is that you don't need to go to the gym. As others have said, walking is a great introduction to exercise. Work your way up to 45-60 minutes a day and you may find yourself wishing to do something more challenging.
Vegan diet is the new paradigm.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:36 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
Quote:

Timing is important.
Not really.

The body puts on muscle as it needs to - in order to accomodate loads placed on it
such as running, climbing stairs, hauling the body's own fat around - stuff like that.

The body puts on fat as it receives calories that are not used to build muscle.

Whatever muscle is needed to do the things that a person is used to doing, won't be lost by
dieting. Muscle is not used up because of reduced food intake until most of the fat is gone.
Hey yeah, I stopped eating breakfast... actually I was waking up at 6-7am... core lifts (squat/dead/bench) then a **** load of BCAAS, second workout around 12 (assistance stuff..sprints), then ate from 1/2-bed time. Lost 4% body fat and gained 5lbs lean mass in a month.

Different things work for different people.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:55 AM

41 posts, read 92,740 times
Yes of course I would like to be thin, that is my ultimate goal. This is the main reason why I am doing this, I don't have any health problems that I know of I have not been to the Dr. in years. Now that I know the secret I can get along to losing my weight without depriving myself. Someone suggested going vegan, thank you, but I do not think this is an option for me. I am here at a hotel now and they have fitness classes as well as a gym, I will just be going there to get my exercise.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 AM

212 posts, read 320,389 times
u have to exercise to get and keep a decent amount of muscle. otherwise, you are somebody who can't accomplish much and it's bad for your self image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness