Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:21 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. But I cannot swim either. I swear I see skinny people eating fast foods and never gain weight, they say that they apparently do not exercise. I also realized that a lot of thin people which are usually men be the 1st one to point out that they love to eat...?
You don't have to swim to exercise. There are plenty of classes in the pool that allow you to burn calories and NOT swim. Or you can just 'run in place' in the pool in the shallow end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:50 AM

41 posts, read 92,772 times
I know the thin people who eat a lot are definitely not eating under 1,200 calories at least. They would probably pass out? But I am just going to worry about myself, but it would be nice to eat whatever I want and never gain weight lol. Are strength workouts beneficial and necessary for women? I cant go to a gym so I can skip strength training and still lose weight?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:18 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
but it would be nice to eat whatever I want and never gain weight lol.
nobody can do that. you are obese because of your diet and sedentary lifestyle. thin people are thin because of their diet and lifestyle.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Quote:
I know the thin people who eat a lot are definitely not eating under 1,200 calories at least. They would probably pass out? But I am just going to worry about myself, but it would be nice to eat whatever I want and never gain weight lol. Are strength workouts beneficial and necessary for women? I cant go to a gym so I can skip strength training and still lose weight?

I felt like crap at 1200 until it was my about my RMR burn. You are not suppose to drop below 1200 anyway unless you are doing a VLC diet under a doctor's supervision.

As far as working out for loss strength is better for the long run if you want to pick a gym activity to start right now. You can get your cardio in here and there outside of the gym with walking spurts. (do a 10-15 minute walk in the morning and evening to start for your basic minimum for health). If you are using cardio for calorie burn you can always adjust your diet. Cardio should only be thought of as a heart conditioning exercise and not a weight loss tool. Keeping your diet tight is more important that burning massive amounts of calories with cardio. Plus cardio can take lean tissue with it during loss if you do not have a strength program or genetics to fight that.

Strength training is good for your bones. You want to put as much work as you can into that before 30. You are still building bone density in your 20s. Its something you will reap rewards from in your later years. It also will give you a better body composition by helping retain the lean mass you have, and help tone your skin. The more lean your body is the faster it gets to processing your food intake. That means your calories are more likely to be burned, than stored and then burned.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:03 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
It depends.

If you work out, there is a danger of eating MORE than you would if you didn't work out.

So yes, successful weight loss would be to start a nutrition plan and a simple workout plan. Like walking around the block.

I'd suggest just cutting back on the calories in the beginning. If you eat mcdonalds, keep eating mcdonalds, just don't get the large fry. (The main point being, don't eat as much)

I've replaced large sodas, with Tea.

When I want to hit a goal weight I use a calorie counter:

Calculate Calories Needed for Goal Weight

And it will tell you about how many calories you need to eat per day. You'd be surprised to see how many you do actually eat.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Quote:
Strength workouts are great and much more efficient than cardio on the whole. With cardio, there's limited weight training typically, and is meant to burn calories right now. With weight training, you burn calories now, AND burn calories later as your body recovers the muscles.

But with weight training you should also eat more. That's why a lot of obese people who start weight training get discouraged - they actually eat MORE and get stronger and lose some weight, but plateau.

So I would recommend an 80/20 mix ... 80% cardio, 20% weight. Take it easy first though ... walk a mile a day. That, for your obese and not used to working out body, will be like a wake up call. A mile should be done in 20 min or less walking, and limit your food intake. Keep walking a mile or two until you get to that point and can do it without feeling gassed. Then pick up the weights.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:03 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Quote:
I was reading the calories in vs calories out thread and I was wondering is exercise really not needed for weight loss. Right now I am obese and moving to a new city and starting to get a new job. I just don't have time or energy for exercise.

So again is exercise really needed? Provided that you are not starving yourself.
I've lost 40 lbs since last August with no exercise. So I guess for me the answer is no. However, the next 40 could be much harder, in which case the answer might be yes.

There are those in this forum just bent on exercise. I think the last time I posted in this sub-forum I might have been 12 lbs down. Well, now it's 40 so I guess I was onto something back then when I said I was going to lose weight and not exercise until I felt like it. I still don't feel like it but might one of these days.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I felt like crap at 1200 until it was my about my RMR burn. You are not suppose to drop below 1200 anyway unless you are doing a VLC diet under a doctor's supervision.

As far as working out for loss strength is better for the long run if you want to pick a gym activity to start right now. You can get your cardio in here and there outside of the gym with walking spurts. (do a 10-15 minute walk in the morning and evening to start for your basic minimum for health). If you are using cardio for calorie burn you can always adjust your diet. Cardio should only be thought of as a heart conditioning exercise and not a weight loss tool. Keeping your diet tight is more important that burning massive amounts of calories with cardio. Plus cardio can take lean tissue with it during loss if you do not have a strength program or genetics to fight that.

Strength training is good for your bones. You want to put as much work as you can into that before 30. You are still building bone density in your 20s. Its something you will reap rewards from in your later years. It also will give you a better body composition by helping retain the lean mass you have, and help tone your skin. The more lean your body is the faster it gets to processing your food intake. That means your calories are more likely to be burned, than stored and then burned.
Calcium and Vitamin D work together to help with bones.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:35 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,865 times
I don't know why you would diet and not exercise. That seems like the worst possible option. Remember, diets are not short term fixes. They are not two week vacations to get in shape. It is supposed to be an eating habit you adopt for life. Do yourself a favor and take up exercise so you don't spend the rest of your life starving yourself.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:20 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,376,172 times
For me, exercise is mandatory, but dieting is not.

I have never dieted nor deprived myself of food I like. I eat whenever and whatever I want. I have never watched calories and rarely look at a scale. I love food and enjoy dining out. I would not deny myself dessert or a second helping if I wanted it. I have never been overweight and have been the same size 4-6 since high school, even after a few kids.

I am always moving and love exercise and sports. I also drink a lot of coffee and water during the day. I have pretty fast metabolism I think. I have always preferred foods that are healthy and natural (e.g. fish, salads, fresh veggies/fruit, yogurt). I also dislike many unhealthy foods such as greasy/fatty foods, sugary/salty foods, pastries, packaged foods. I tend to eat healthy, but don't considerate it a diet.

I do not eat if I am not hungry. I try to listen to my body. But I don't get the strong hunger/thirst signals others seem to get. I have to remind myself to drink water after a workout. There are days where I am so busy I forget to eat. And there are days where I am at a restaurant and I eat more than men who are twice my size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness