Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I also agree with this. If your loss is going really slow and you are not active wean down your carbs and cut out refined carbs and replace them with whole grain alternatives.

One thing I experienced though loss is the slowness that happens with a high body fat %. Once my body fat was in normal range I could increase my carbs again. Also at that time, the comfortable calorie load of low carb was just a tad too high for loss due to my weight and activity level. I was at 1500 or so and needed to get down to 1200. I was OOC due to knee issues so cardio was out of the question during my low carb phase. At the lower body fat I also found myself getting dehydrated on the low carb. I never got stopped up but I just couldnt drink enough water to stay hydrated.
Low Carb Weight Loss from OnHealth

Even if you don't do atkins I do recommend reading his book. Its very interesting in the parts where he talks about insulin resistance and obesity.
Plus the info in there about weaning back your carbs to find your personal carb threshold.

I can do cardio fine now as the only real stress on my knee joint is exercise and not excess weight too. That part still blows my mind when I am exercising or just out and about and have zero knee pain. Now it only kicks up when the weather is terrible. Even so, its not at a pain level where it requires meds. I just can feel it like a small ache that works out with a bit of movement and anti-inflammatory foods.

I will never do, or suggest Atkins type of diet to anyone I care about. That was too harsh and I wonder if that diet contributed to anyone's artheriosclerosis, ya know?

This "slow" instead of "No" Carb just seems genius. It sure is serving me well, and I'm already experimenting with how many carbs I can add and not put on more than two pounds.

For inflammation or pain of other kinds I have discovered Cherry Juice! One legitimate study found that it works a bit better than aspirin and of course is natural. You might want to give it a try. They sell it in bottles from supplement stores and depts. at Amazon but I'm doing the one that's more food-grade and I find it in my grocery store that's half Pomegrante and half Cherry. Pom has good health benefits too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 06:55 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times
theoretically no. if your calorie consumption is very low, you'll definitely lose weight without exercise. your resting metabolic rate burns about 2000 calories per day.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
obese people have no place in the gym. what are you going to be able to accomplish in the gym if you cant even stick to a decent diet? you dont need to exercise to lose weight, you just need to eat less. its very easy to do.
What the heck? Everyone needs to get in some exercise. It helps your heart, blood sugar and blood pressure.

No matter what your current size is. Talk about judgmental.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I am stating the facts. I have worked in health and wellness for well over ten years. People DO give dirty looks, they may not make comments to that person, but they talk behind that person's back. I have observed it for over a decade.
I don't know what gyms you work in...

Who is "they"? Do you talk to "they"? Is "they" more than 20% of the gym. If so, how did you quantify that number?

Anyways.... obese people absolutely need to exercise, gym or walking int he city. It doesn't matter. Even if people are judgmental, those overweight individuals are there for themselves. I don't go to the gym for anyone else except myself, so I don't care what others think. Although, I understand (True or not), an obese person may find it mentally challenging to overcome the obstacles, of possible judgement, from outsiders that aren't in their situation. Notwithstanding any medical condition, obese/overweight individuals put themselves into a situation that they need to get themselves out of, luckily they have access to information and help; there is more help out there than judgmental eyes at the gym.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:52 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
I was reading the calories in vs calories out thread and I was wondering is exercise really not needed for weight loss. Right now I am obese and moving to a new city and starting to get a new job. I just don't have time or energy for exercise.

So again is exercise really needed? Provided that you are not starving yourself.
Lack of time and energy is just an excuse. One I used for a long time. There is always time. You have a lunch I am sure. You watch TV, sit on the computer looking at the internet etc... Determine which you want, healthy life or obese slob life complaining you do not have enough time to work out.

Develop healthy eating habits, learn portion control and get in the gym. Eating a diet rich in unprocessed foods real foods IE: do not find foods high in fake sugar and useless carbs. Eat high protein foods and high fiber foods as that helps keep you satisfied Also, see your DR to make sure you are not a heart attack waiting to happen.

It is mind over matter, November of 2011 I stopped making excuses. Now I am 34 lbs lighter and much stronger.

Make sure you get into a good weight lifting routine, full body lifting is best. Lean muscle mass burns fat. Determine your caloric needs for losing weight while working out and mix a little cardio in. Remember cardio is nice, but its lifting that burns more fat and helps keep fat off.

Last edited by Momotaro; 03-28-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
haha because tons of obese people are going to the gym and getting healthy. obese people go to the gym to lift 5 pound weights, walk a few minutes on the treadmill, then go home and eat a big mac, large fries and an entire chocolate cake. its pointless to go to the gym until you have shown you can at least stick to a decent diet.

Also from what I noticed, they talk a lot and sit in the steam room longer then they are actually in the weight room.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:41 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,633 times
Fwiw, I'm tall and my friends always called me thin, even at my heaviest. I lost 40lbs by eating less, but eating more often. I don't go to a gym, ever. I walk with my family, and dogs, mountain hikes. Summer and winter. Lol I've always hiked, just, I think my metabolism needed a 'jump start'. This is what has worked for ME. Not saying it's for everyone. Oh and when it's at least decent out, I hike solo, with the dogs, while the kiddos are in school, and hubby at work. I love to walk. Especially with the gorgeous mountains all around me.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:17 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post

Who is "they"? Do you talk to "they"? Is "they" more than 20% of the gym. If so, how did you quantify that number?
"They" would be the people that work out at the gym, making remarks, gawking, shaking heads. It isn't every single person, but it happens.

All I am saying and completely getting dragged around IMO for nothing, is that it is a challenge for an obese person to walk through the door. If you read through the majority of this thread people are making rude remarks, and talking down to obese people. Just think how it is in real life when they are at the gym.

Maybe these will help:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...tness-industry

http://www.cleveland.com/fighting-fa...struggled.html

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/d...421-1dqdx.html

Last edited by veuvegirl; 03-29-2012 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: .

Old 03-29-2012, 06:31 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post

Anyways.... obese people absolutely need to exercise, gym or walking int he city. It doesn't matter. Even if people are judgmental, those overweight individuals are there for themselves. I don't go to the gym for anyone else except myself, so I don't care what others think. Although, I understand (True or not), an obese person may find it mentally challenging to overcome the obstacles, of possible judgement, from outsiders that aren't in their situation. Notwithstanding any medical condition, obese/overweight individuals put themselves into a situation that they need to get themselves out of, luckily they have access to information and help; there is more help out there than judgmental eyes at the gym.
Thank you. I agree with every word you said. There are more benefits to exercise than just burning calories and I believe every person belongs at the gym. No one I know is staring or making fun; I'm sure there are those that do ~ as seen earlier in this thread. But not everyone; not even most of us - at least at my gym. I love the people I work out with and most of them don't have a mean bone in their body.

Sometimes surrounding yourself with positive, motivating people can inspire you (and me) to make positive changes in our lives.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:45 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
"They" would be the people that work out at the gym, making remarks, gawking, shaking heads. It isn't every single person, but it happens.

All I am saying and completely getting dragged around IMO for nothing, is that it is a challenge for an obese person to walk through the door. If you read through the majority of this thread people are making rude remarks, and talking down to obese people. Just think how it is in real life when they are at the gym.

Maybe these will help:

Health clubs: Should obese people have their own gyms? - Chicago Tribune

Obese people face cruel insults, but also live in a 'world of invisibility': Fighting Fat | cleveland.com

Obese people less likely to exercise if teased and criticised
Every gym is different. The one I walk past most of the people are actually on the heavy side. I hate gyms though so I just workout at home. Anyone can do that. I didn't even have to go into the gym to get b***** looks/comments from people who are heavy coming out or going in. Fat people also make comments about my thin size and say "its my metabolism/genetics" that keeps me thin....sooo...

Am I brave for putting up with fat people's crap? No. Everyone has an opinion about everything so why bother making their actions stop you from living your life?

Some a-hole laughs at you, laugh right back and prove that MF wrong.
Its been working for me on both sides of the weight fence.

What really cracked me up is when I would be at work and lift heavy things after these same times of people said I couldn't do it....yet I did...and despite being twice my weight they still couldn't do the same lifting. And yeah..I threw it in their face and then the "how do you" questions started flooding in. I also found it funny I only got this BS talk from women. Men wouldn't say anything and it went into brofest mode whenever I would lift heavy things at work just saying silly things like I am half ant half human.

Just don't act like just because you have fat on you, you are the only person that has to deal with people's crap. That irks me.

You could always be the hot girl with huge boobs that gets sexually harassed at the gym. Thats awesome for her Im sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness