Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:40 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
None of those are true pitbulls. The first one is a Presa Canario I think, incredible looking dog. The other two are some kind of mutant bully mutts that indiscriminate breeders have created from mixing several breeds, one of which is a pitbull. The dogs in this link are good examples of APBT.
American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bulls, Pitbulls
Exactly!

This is a true APBT (AKA "pit bull")

This is NOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,858 times
So does anyone know an effective way to defend yourself against a dog attack? I hear pepper spray doesn't work against all dogs. I run also and have been confronted by nasty dogs. Someone told me Wasp spray is great. I'm not looking to permanently injure a dog but I want a chance to escape from them.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Contrary to some popular belief dogs do not think like humans, they do not have the ability to determine if you are going to do them harm. That being said if a dog is coming after me with teeth bared, I will pull out my trusty pistol and blow their brains out. I don't care if they are a Mastiff or a Tea Cup Poodle, my health and safety is more important to me than their companionship is to their owners.

If you own a dog that is chasing people looking for a leg sandwich I suggest you not live in my neighborhood.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:04 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
So does anyone know an effective way to defend yourself against a dog attack? I hear pepper spray doesn't work against all dogs. I run also and have been confronted by nasty dogs. Someone told me Wasp spray is great. I'm not looking to permanently injure a dog but I want a chance to escape from them.
The link in post 35 is fairly good. I don't think there is 1 solution. Each dog is different. You have to try to read them. Stay calm and assess each situation for a way out.

Years ago, while on a bike, a dog chased me two blocks barking and growling visciously. But something just told me he was just having fun. Partly because he could have caught me any time but didn't. I picked up my pace, laughed and repeated "good dog". The next day he chased me to the end of his block. I think his feet were sore from running on the pavement. The next several days he just looked up and barked once at me. At each encounter I would say "good dog" or "good boy".

I don't do that in every situation. One thing to do is watch ahead while running for loose dogs. If you see one slow down 'til you are past them. I would say walk.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Contrary to some popular belief dogs do not think like humans, they do not have the ability to determine if you are going to do them harm. That being said if a dog is coming after me with teeth bared, I will pull out my trusty pistol and blow their brains out. I don't care if they are a Mastiff or a Tea Cup Poodle, my health and safety is more important to me than their companionship is to their owners.

If you own a dog that is chasing people looking for a leg sandwich I suggest you not live in my neighborhood.
I bet you would miss. LOL

Really..discharging a firearm within city limits over a teacup poodle?
I hope you are being dramatic.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,107 times
Protect yourself I don't care what size/breed the dog is if it harms me or my dogs, I will take the appropriate action needed.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I bet you would miss. LOL

Really..discharging a firearm within city limits over a teacup poodle?
I hope you are being dramatic.
my guess is she probably wouldnt bother shooting a teacup poodle, but i dont see much importance to the fact that its in city limits. if you are using your gun for self defense, its probably going to be in some residential area.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my guess is she probably wouldnt bother shooting a teacup poodle, but i dont see much importance to the fact that its in city limits. if you are using your gun for self defense, its probably going to be in some residential area.

Felony is kinda a big deal where I come from. Depending on your local laws you could really be in for trouble.

Thoughts:
- concealed weapon permit - some areas you need it
- discharging your firearm at a non-lethal breed is not self defense its firearm abuse
- hands being wet with sweat and you end up shooting your own face off or perhaps one of the dog's owners, or their kids.
- you shoot dog, owner shoots you

I will take my chances with an animal every time over a human. All the dang thing needs is cookies. Its been proven!

p.s. random share. Military friend's camp was invaded by a wolverine. He beat it to death with a mag light. So I guess you could go with a mag light if your like violent confrontations.

I just can't believe people acting like whipping out a gun is safe while running with sweaty hands. Makes me wonder if they really do run or ever practiced with gun or took safety courses. Its not like the movies. You can shoot an animal and it still can be attacking you. Even if you hit it in a lethal spot. It still takes awhile for the animal to die. A lot can happen in 60 seconds.

Last edited by Opsimathia; 04-11-2012 at 02:19 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 02:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Felony is kinda a big deal where I come from. Depending on your local laws you could really be in for trouble.

Thoughts:
- concealed weapon permit - some areas you need it
- discharging your firearm at a non-lethal breed is not self defense its firearm abuse
- hands being wet with sweat and you end up shooting your own face off or perhaps one of the dog's owners, or their kids.
- you shoot dog, owner shoots you

I will take my chances with an animal every time over a human. All the dang thing needs is cookies. Its been proven!
i would agree that you would need a carry license. id assume that PDD has one since she said she would be carrying and shoot the dog. i dont have a carry license so id have to run into my house and then shoot the dog after ive retrieved my gun. thats not likely, so id need to carry something i could use.

i dont really agree with the other 3 points you listed and i dont see the problem of grabbing a gun with sweaty hands (not sure they would necessarily be so sweaty anyway). i guess if you were really worried about that, you could get better grips. what do cops do when a dog is coming after them? they shoot the dog.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i would agree that you would need a carry license. id assume that PDD has one since she said she would be carrying and shoot the dog. i dont have a carry license so id have to run into my house and then shoot the dog after ive retrieved my gun. thats not likely, so id need to carry something i could use.

i dont really agree with the other 3 points you listed and i dont see the problem of grabbing a gun with sweaty hands (not sure they would necessarily be so sweaty anyway). i guess if you were really worried about that, you could get better grips. what do cops do when a dog is coming after them? they shoot the dog.

I have to swipe my hands off to get a good grip on even slimfit grips. I don't know how you sweat when you workout but I am drenched. And sweat isn't just wet, its greasy. If the dog already bit you blood is VERY greasy. There is no way I could, unholster, get a good grip on a gun, flip off the safety and shoot within the time frame of a dog attack. I don't think the common man has the skill set a police officer does either when handling a weapon. Some cops wear grip gloves in the summer or on bikes for the sweat reason.

And what if you had the gun out and ready to go but the dog got your gun arm. The biting and shaking could make you discharge the firearm beyond your control. (think of how they test reflexes, your nerves and muscles will react to a bite the same way. The actual movement could also make you discharge the firearm)

If you agree on the other three points or not really doesn't matter. They are all possible scenarios. In order to claim self defense you have to be met with lethal force. A tea cup poodle is not lethal force. LOL
If you were to shoot a pit or mastiff, then you may have a leg to stand on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness