Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:38 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,256,878 times

Advertisements

I would like to get into running/jogging, but honestly I have never "ran" in my life outside of high school gym. I've always been a bike person, but I have been thinking about getting into running.

My first question is where to start? I have read a few articles that say beginning runners should alternate between running and walking, but they all give different advice on how to do this. I have a lot of stamina but not sure if I can go more than two minutes my first time out. I'm not in a hurry to do a 5K or anything, wouldn't mind taking it nice and easy in the beginning. Any suggestions?

The second question is about shoes: I do not have the money to spend on a properly fitted shoe....so any recommendations on a decent beginner's shoe on a budget?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 AM

7,191 posts, read 9,258,583 times
Shoes are important. When I was young I could run or jog in pretty much anything including my "clod stompers". As I've aged my feet won't take that abuse anymore.

Nowadays I use New Balance. No, I'm not recommending them for you. You need to find out what works for you.

You don't have to spend $100 or more but a good fit can make the difference. Rather than me giving you potentially bad advice I suggest checking these sites or google your own:

How to Buy Running Shoes: Tips to Treat Your Feet Right

Best Running Shoes - How To Determine Your Foot Type for the Best Running Shoes

How to Choose Running Shoes!

Running Shoe Buyers Guide - Dick's Sporting Goods

Also talk to some people in the shoe stores and maybe some runners. Good luck.

BTW: Nowadays most of my cardio is on a bicycle.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,981,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I would like to get into running/jogging, but honestly I have never "ran" in my life outside of high school gym. I've always been a bike person, but I have been thinking about getting into running.

My first question is where to start? I have read a few articles that say beginning runners should alternate between running and walking, but they all give different advice on how to do this. I have a lot of stamina but not sure if I can go more than two minutes my first time out. I'm not in a hurry to do a 5K or anything, wouldn't mind taking it nice and easy in the beginning. Any suggestions?

The second question is about shoes: I do not have the money to spend on a properly fitted shoe....so any recommendations on a decent beginner's shoe on a budget?

Thanks!
Locolobo posted some VERY good links above. You should definitely read through them to get as much info as possible then make your decision.

Me, while I dont really consider myself a "runner", I do run a bit more than a 5k at least 3-4 times per week, and have been doing this for years. IMHO, Ive tried a lot of different shoes and based on my experience, its very very very difficult for me to find quality running shoes that I like that are under $100.00. I did a long time ago find a good pair of Sauconys at Big 5 that were marked down to like $50.00 but they are UGLY!! I mean UGLY with all CAPS. Wife called them Clown Shoes, but they were pretty darn good running shoes.

What you absolutely need to do is find a true and dedicated Running Store near you and get fitted and usually video taped (your run/gait) as well. Dont do the Footlocker thing because those folks really dont know much. Find a store like "A Snails Pace", "Road Runner Sports" or "Phidippides Running Store" near you. THOSE folks know what they are talking about and would be able to fit you with a quality pair of shoes to match your budget.

As far as the actual running goes, just get out and run. No big secrets to it really. Just get out and start running/jogging, then when you get a bit tired, walk for a bit, the pick up the pace again. Do this, but still research as much as you can on running by heading over to your local B&N to read through running books or read the articles in Runners World.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:33 AM

200 posts, read 565,594 times
I am a novice runner/jogger. But unlike you, I started with no stamina.

For your first questions, I too saw all those sites about run/walk alternating. But I knew I didn't want to keep looking at my watch as I run. So I marked off a 1-mile trail. Then I just started to jog. I jogged until I had to walk. Then I would push myself to jog again. My first mile took 15 minutes! ha! I was pretty bad. But I kept at it. When I was able to do a 10 minute mile I added another mile. Of course the second mile I was doing a run/walk again. When I was able to run a 20 min two mile, I added another mile. I seriously started working on this 2 months ago (I started non-seriously last aug). Now I am running 3-4 miles every other day. I need to push myself to 5 this next week...but I still find 3-4 pretty rough! ha! Good luck!! And seeing as you already have some stamina, you will probably find it a lot easier than me!

As for your second question: I still don't know what shoe I like best. I bought a new pair of shoes after my first couple weeks (I was getting shin splints). I don't have a sports store that can analyze my stride anywhere near. But when I do go to a larger city that does have one of these stores, I plan on using it

Old 03-02-2012, 09:04 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,851,904 times
Well I would start with a physical exam if you have not had one in a bit. Do not know your age/weight/diet/health particulars.

Then starting walking for an hour and calculate your walking pace and see how your lower joints react to that type of exertion. Keep a log book of miles and time on track. Try to improve both distance and speed with each outing. Take a day off if you experience soreness. You can start at sea-level or immediately beging with elevation. Your choice.

Once you max your fast walking then move up to a jog. See how far you can go before being winded. Continue maintain a log and increase distance or time or both gradually.

Repeat for running.

Change or vary routines once you are a capable runner to receive the best muscular benefit. Let me add to do this for walking as well as it is easier to become winded walking up steep inclines at the same rate as sea-level walking.

Run both indoor and outdoor, weather and schedule permitting.

Shoes? Nike MaxAir but I will be looking into New Balance which I believe is made in the USA when it comes time for new ones.

Me? I have been doing this for a decade and a half. Started exactly as above. Run 9-12miles every other day.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-02-2012 at 09:42 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 10:48 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times
Try couch to 5k. Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan

It is a take slow path to increase the time you can run straight.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:10 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,368,465 times
Simply speaking, I suggest just not to think about it too much and go out for a run... now. I mean, there is no skill involved, i assume you are in ok shape being a biker and all. Try just 10-15 min of a light jog, and see how that feels. Then try to make a routine out of it, like 3 times a week.

The shoe advice given here has been good. Understand that $100-$115 is the going price for good running shoes. Though you may think its expensive at first, consider the overall costs to run is going to be less than biking or any other sports that requires equipment.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:27 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,981,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
The shoe advice given here has been good. Understand that $100-$115 is the going price for good running shoes. Though you may think its expensive at first, consider the overall costs to run is going to be less than biking or any other sports that requires equipment.
So true. I think the cheapest pair of shoes I run in now were $110.00.

Compare that to the cost of biking and its a no brainer. Everyone I personally know who is into biking spend like $3000-$4000 on a bike which is crazy to me, but they understand quality better than I do on that. Same with shoes here. OP may think that $100 is a lot (which is really isnt) but when he gets to running regularly, he'll realize what most avid runners already know - the shoes are IMPORTANT!!!

Too many people go the cheapo route on the shoes when they begin running only to flame/flunk out of running because of foot pain, shin pain or whatever. Almost always due to poor choices in shoes. Get a GOOD quality pair of shoes from a good dedicated running store and you'll be fine.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:30 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,779,298 times
I agree with comment about not thinking about it too much. Just get out and run. I started that way, and was totally out of shape when I began. I would jog until I was out of breath, then walk, then jog again, and so on. After time you'll notice your time spent running will become more and walking less. Before you know it, you'll be able to run a mile...then 2...then 3 or more without stopping. I am currently training for my first marathon this May.

I assume you'll be running outside? I think that's good. When people start out on a treadmill, they often get caught up with all the digital readings and worry about time, distance, incline, MPH, etc. Blah... That turns running into work. Just go out and run. Find a scenic trail and enjoy the surroundings and let your mind wander and take in the fresh air. My favorite part of running is how it clears my head and I feel a sense of peace and relaxation.

As for shoes, I'm in the camp that inexpensive shoes are all that is needed. I wear Saucony Grid Cohesion 4 shoes. $40 at Shoe Carnival. Buy a 1/2 to a full size larger than your dress shoes so there's plenty of room in the toe box and you should be fine.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:45 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,831,741 times
Do you have a running store nearby? If you do go there for your shoes. They will fit you with shoes that are best for your feet and stride. Expect to pay around $100. You can get shoes cheaper and you may get lucky and find a pair that works. And that may be the way to go while you are starting out. But if you find that you enjoy running and are picking up miles you should invest in some good shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness