Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:24 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times

Advertisements

After cutting my BMI from a slightly overweight 26 to a normal 23.9 through regular exercise and diet control, some people have expressed concern that "I look sick". Funny thing is, these people making the comments are themselves obese....not merely overweight, but they have BMIs of 30 and up. Potential candidates for bariatric surgery and they don't even know it.

It occurred to me that FATNESS is now considered our society's new normal. People are so used to looking at their fat images in the mirror that they think this is just normal. Then their beliefs are reinforced by their family and friends who are similarly fat. So when they bump into someone like me who weighs normal, I'm the one who "looks sick." lol.....

Old 04-08-2012, 09:07 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
You can "look sick" when you loose weight. Don't discount what your fat friends are saying, maybe you have a vitamin deficiency or your skin is just hanging loose or you have circles under your eyes. Who knows.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:32 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
I think jealousy is what you are seeing.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:28 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,610,446 times
I think there's some truth to it. When I look at dramatic weight loss before/after photos, there are many times when I think the person looked better heavier. I think it's because a lot of people lose their muscle tone. Usually, it's because they lost the weight too fast.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:54 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Great. Another fat-bashing thread.

My spouse lost 40 pounds in three months, a tip-off to us that something was wrong. He had pancreatic cancer. Don't discount the concern of your friends and family. Perhaps if I'd become concerned about my husband's weight loss earlier than I did, he would still be alive today.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:22 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

My spouse lost 40 pounds in three months, a tip-off to us that something was wrong. He had pancreatic cancer. Don't discount the concern of your friends and family. Perhaps if I'd become concerned about my husband's weight loss earlier than I did, he would still be alive today.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. While it is a good idea to see a doctor if you lose weight like that without trying that particular illness is not usually found until late stages. Most people with pancreatic cancer will not make it. It is one of the worst. I had a family friend that was a doctor and caught it right away and it still didn't matter.

Back to the OP: I would ask the friends why they think you look sick. I agree that some people can look slightly depleted after weight loss until their skin catches up and they get more nutrients from increasing the calorie intake.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:37 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
When I lost 40 lbs I experienced fit people tell me I looked great and heaver people telling me I was starting to look too skinny and that I should 'eat more'. I think it is a sabotage mentality most of the time. Jealousy overcomes them and they strike back with these comments.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

If your husband wasn't trying to lose weight and yet was shedding off those pounds, then yeah you should be concerned about it. There are also other signs of pancreatic cancer besides weight loss. I'm talking about something totally different here.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
When I lost 40 lbs I experienced fit people tell me I looked great and heaver people telling me I was starting to look too skinny and that I should 'eat more'. I think it is a sabotage mentality most of the time. Jealousy overcomes them and they strike back with these comments.
Same experience as mine. The fit, normal weight people would say "you look great". The obese ones would say "you look sick".

Old 04-09-2012, 10:13 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
If your husband wasn't trying to lose weight and yet was shedding off those pounds, then yeah you should be concerned about it. There are also other signs of pancreatic cancer besides weight loss. I'm talking about something totally different here.
No, you're not. You're talking about people who are concerned about you and are asking if you're OK. They don't know that you're trying to shed pounds. Why the hell do you think they ask?

Yet all you want to do is ridicule, dismiss and marginalize them.

Instead of judging, just say "Yes, I'm very well and have engaged in more exercise and a better diet. Thanks for asking!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness