Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,665,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not so very skinny people see others ( those that weight much less) as a skinny people. They might not see you as a fit person, because all what matter to them is skinny versus ... you know what.
So, this is not because of lack of respect, but to differential the terms.
People nowadays seldom describe others as fit, they just say skinny or fat.
Now, if someone call you anorexic, then you should start to worry. Otherwise is a compliment, an ah... so envy... and should be not a reason to ponder.
I think that's wise advice. Someone at a potluck, whom I knew slightly, standing with her friend, whom I didn't know, asked me how much I weighed, in almost an angry way. That startled me, felt intrusive and personal.

I asked her, "Why do you want to know?" And she said, "Oh, we were just wondering.." I said, "Well, how much do you think I weigh?" Her guess was off by 15 pounds too light. I just smiled and said, "Thanks, but you're way off." Didn't enlighten her as to which direction she was off. Gee whiz, people are funny sometimes...

Now I have a friend who is truly very, very slender, small frame, eats well and likely burns up the calories as she's as active as a hummingbird...I'd never ask her what she weighs...my parents raised me not to ask personal questions like that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 12:49 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Now I have a friend who is truly very, very slender, small frame, eats well and likely burns up the calories as she's as active as a hummingbird...I'd never ask her what she weighs...my parents raised me not to ask personal questions like that...
Exactly. Why do people feel it is any of their business to comment on someone else's appearance? Do they think that person was just waiting for their input?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:02 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
I've had more than one female coworker make a rude comment in regards to me being thin...in particular one said "OMG you're skinny, I hate you" and another made a loud comment about "skinny *****es who work here". I am quite average, on the thin side naturally.
If I'd said "you're fat, I hate you" or "fat ****" I'd be nailed to a wall.
I just try to chalk it up to them being jealous (it's only overweight women who say this stuff) and go about my way.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:01 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
1 in 3 is obese. so we are sensitive to them. but the slender people are a very small group so we have not learned to be sensitive to them yet. rest assured u r the object of much envy not ridicule.
Wouldn't that mean 2 out of 3 people aren't obese then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Exactly. Why do people feel it is any of their business to comment on someone else's appearance? Do they think that person was just waiting for their input?
Human nature.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:31 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,440 times
Quote:
Tom, I hear what you're saying, it's just that the "skinny" title makes me feel defensive and uncomfortable..as though I'm doing something wrong in being (relatively) slender in our world of those struggling to lose weight.

Woman will understand this--I'm a size 8-10--and women will know that's not at all skinny in this world of size 0's and size 2's...pictures are not necessary to support my reasonably healthy body size...
OK, but I'm one of those 0-2 women, always have been. I have exercized my entire life and eat healthy and do not over eat. I have had to deal with the skinny comments all my life also. Now my 8 year old daughter is coming home from school asking me if she is skinny. Obviously she is getting comments at school also, just as I did. Kids learn this stuff from parents. I don't go around commenting on peoples bodies [with the exception of seeing very obese people, kids do notice that and point it out] I tell her that she is not skinny, she is just right and just how SHE is meant to be.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:04 AM

Yes, kids can be very cruel about physical appearances, which is unfortunate given how sensitive kids are...I had dark hair on my arms when I was younger and was called "gorilla" by a few kids...of course I ended up in tears.

It's an ongoing battle, isn't it, being comfortable with ourselves--especially when there are so many commercial messages telling we're too this or not enough that and that we smell bad, too...we're pushed in the direction of looking more and more like plastic Barbie dolls...

Old 04-10-2012, 05:55 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Why not just treat it as a conversations instead of making something out of possibly nothing?

We don't look as cute as kittens when contrary.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:37 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,228,608 times
OP, how do YOU feel about your body? Don't worry about what others think so much. No matter what you do people will judge you according to their standards. If you feel there is merit in the judgement, then analyze it for yourself. Otherwise it's best to grin and bear it, or ignore it.

Very rarely someone will call me skinny. I'm not except as compared to the person talking. I just grin, grab some belly flab, study it for a sec, then say, "Not yet" or something just as inane.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:53 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
This^^^^^.

Why does anyone ever think it's ok to comment on another person's weight? Much like looking at someone's newborn baby, the only acceptable comment is "He/she's adorable. Congratulations!" If someone feels compelled to comment on another's body, the only acceptable comment is "You look great!" If you can't say it with a straight face, just keep your mouth shut.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:02 AM

How do I personally feel about my body? I'm happy that it's in reasonably good shape and carries me along on my feet and on my bicycle without undue pain....it's a good friend. A long time ago I got over envying models or celebrities and comparing myself to them...it can be challenging for girls/women to have a positive body image, I think. It takes work, self-esteem and self-confidence.

It seems to me that we live in a culture with a double standard...the media and some people seem bent on commenting on women in the news (including political and thought leaders) physical appearance and body size--but not so much with men...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness