Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 02:48 PM

404 posts, read 1,147,912 times

Advertisements

When I first started running last August, weight seemed to shed off pretty fast as long as I'd run consistently. Even after I gained a few pounds over the holidays, I ran alot in January and shed off all the LB's I gained.

For the past month I've been running my ass off trying to shed extra weight I gained during a March Vegas Vacation and long work trip. The pounds just aren't rolling off like I've hoped. I'd lose a 1 pound here and next day gain it back.

I've come to the conclusion I've hit a plateau and my body has gotten accustomed to my running routine. I've been increasing my mileage by 1.5 miles and I'm still exhausted like no other when I'm done. What can I do to get over this plateau?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:56 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times
Well, in the first place.. running isn't considered optimal for weight loss anyways.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Are you watching your calorie intake?
I would incorporate some strength training.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
the more you lose, the harder it becomes to lose more. but if you increase your calorie deficit, you should still lose weight.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:12 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post

I've come to the conclusion I've hit a plateau and my body has gotten accustomed to my running routine.
I was in a similar position. What i did was break my routine by incorporating speed work (intervals, tempo, fartleks) and dialing down my weekly mileage. Nutrition wise, i cut off soda almost completely, dialed down my alcohol consumption, replaced my snacks with fruit.

And as others noted, maybe incorporate strength/cross training for complete body workout.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:22 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
When you hit a plateau, it's your body telling you it wants a change or routine

Old 04-13-2012, 02:59 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times
Quote:
When I first started running last August, weight seemed to shed off pretty fast as long as I'd run consistently. Even after I gained a few pounds over the holidays, I ran alot in January and shed off all the LB's I gained.

For the past month I've been running my ass off trying to shed extra weight I gained during a March Vegas Vacation and long work trip. The pounds just aren't rolling off like I've hoped. I'd lose a 1 pound here and next day gain it back.

I've come to the conclusion I've hit a plateau and my body has gotten accustomed to my running routine. I've been increasing my mileage by 1.5 miles and I'm still exhausted like no other when I'm done. What can I do to get over this plateau?
I have been going thru the same thing. I had lost close to 80 lbs without exercising much and started walking 5 weeks ago. I have gained 10 lbs back since and cannot for the life of me figure it out. I am so depressed right now I want to give up and stay FAT. So frustrated. Your body will hit plateaus that is for sure as I have hit several myself but like you I am wondering how do I keep up the desire to finish losing weight and what the hell is going on with the weight gain?? I love walking and perhaps its time both of us did a review of what we are eating that is making us get stuck and in my case me gain. I am so sad

Old 04-13-2012, 08:05 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
if you are gaining weight back, then you have started eating more/exercising less. if you arent losing weight anymore, you need to further cut calories. if you are 200 pounds and you are eating the amount to maintain 170 pounds, then you will lose 30 pounds and reach a "plateau." thats because you have reached the weight you are eating for. you want to lose more? cut more.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:04 AM

404 posts, read 1,147,912 times
The funny thing is I got into running because over the spring-summer I was lifting weights and my body wasn't shaping up as I would've liked. So I started running and after a few weeks the pounds were dropping alot faster.

Now it's vice versa. I like running because for the whole period of time I'm moving and by the end I feel exhausted. With the gym it's like do a set here, set there, wait for a bench to clear, walk to the water fountain, chat with someone I know. Can anybody recommend a good cross training or interval program to break this plateau?

Old 04-13-2012, 09:35 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
The funny thing is I got into running because over the spring-summer I was lifting weights and my body wasn't shaping up as I would've liked. So I started running and after a few weeks the pounds were dropping alot faster.

Now it's vice versa. I like running because for the whole period of time I'm moving and by the end I feel exhausted. With the gym it's like do a set here, set there, wait for a bench to clear, walk to the water fountain, chat with someone I know. Can anybody recommend a good cross training or interval program to break this plateau?
How to solve the problem at the gym:

Bring bottled water, OR bring an empty bottle and fill it at the waterfountain so you don't have to keep taking breaks to go there.

Stop waiting for benches to clear. If a bench is filled, grab a couple of dumbbells and do some arnold curls. Or do squats. Or do jumping jacks. Or jog around the floor. Or hit a cardio machine.

Stop chatting with someone you know. You're there to work out, and so is the person you know. You do both of you a disservice when you turn your workout routine into social hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness