Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 11:56 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
The OP is 64 years old, overweight and just starting out exercising. Advising them to "up the intensity" is terrible advice and will only lead to injury or them giving up. Upping the intensity is for people who have been exercising a long time and are fit enough to accomplish this.

The OP should continue walking at whatever pace they feel comfortable at. If it's slow, it's slow, they're a beginner. Their goal is to avoid injury and slowly increase the duration of their walking.

Agreed. Its good to get to know the natural ebb and flow of weight and weight loss too. If you never watched it before and now you do the flux can make you think something is wrong when everything is just going as it should be.

Every time you bloat up 10 lbs are you are going to drive yourself nuts trying amp it up to a new level and harsher dietary restrictions? That is not a healthy thought process for anyone. That is what people with eating disorders do. You can develop an eating disorder at any age. Excessive purges of the system are what bulimics do. And the raw rub of that is those habits usually leave you fat or fatter because its not a sustainable pace or healthy habit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
are we pretending as if walking has actually caused the OP to gain 10lbs?

Old 04-13-2012, 01:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
The OP is 64 years old, overweight and just starting out exercising. Advising them to "up the intensity" is terrible advice and will only lead to injury or them giving up. Upping the intensity is for people who have been exercising a long time and are fit enough to accomplish this.

The OP should continue walking at whatever pace they feel comfortable at. If it's slow, it's slow, they're a beginner. Their goal is to avoid injury and slowly increase the duration of their walking.
"Walking faster" is different for everyone. OP is walking 2 miles. A good distance. This might take anywhere from 30-50 minutes for the OP.

Pushing a little bit harder for a short period of time is good for everyone in my book, and makes it easier to go further. And there is quite a lot of evidence that going a little harder is better than going longer. Over time, the average pace will increase, allowing the OP to cover more miles in the same time.

Let's say your "easy pace" is 2.2mph. And pushing a little harder is 2.4mph *(About 10% faster). This works is a good progression. With more time, your "easy pace" will increase from 2.2 to 2.4, and your "fast" will increase to 2.7. You don't have to jump from 2mph to 8mph. Or go from walking to sprinting.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:55 PM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Your BP is good and I assume that you're otherwise feeling o.k. Not short of breath, not pushing yourself too hard on the treadmill, etc.

If you are counting WW points and exercising you shouldn't be gaining that much weight unless you are way off on how many points you can have. And since you've done WW, I think you would be well aware if you were eating 7000 extra calories a week (2 pounds per/wk).

So my guess is, you are retaining water. If so, watch your salt intake and be sure to drink lots of water. Sometimes you gain a little when you first start exercising.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
are we pretending as if walking has actually caused the OP to gain 10lbs?

Im not pretending squat. But 10 lbs is a normal bloat from exercise or natural weight variation. I am entertaining possible reasons with the information at hand.

The bloating from exercise is a under discussed topic. So is normal weight fluctuation. This situation is exactly why I think that diet blurb of only weighing in 1x a week or 1x a month is stupid. More data means a more accurate way to find the reason for the scale hopping up.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:08 PM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
A trainer once told me that some of that weight gain comes from all of those new capillaries that are branching out to support those new muscles that you are building. And those muscles that you are building are the engines that will burn the fat off of your body.

If you have an appropriate caloric intake and exercise program, you're fine.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:28 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Any FAST change in weight is always due to water retention, whether it be from exercise bloat or increased sodium intake.

It's common for people to increase their salt intake on diets, because you're switching to less tasty foods which are made better by increasing salt - the idea being that salt has no calories. So Pam might be loading up on broths or soups, which have way more sodium that you might think (far more than chips or nuts). In addition, when people are under stress from dieting, their body releases stress hormone which cause some bloating, particularly from exercise.

There's only so much weight gain from that. Eventually you will start losing more fat than the bloating will increase it. You might gain 10 from that now, but you might lose 50 lbs of fat from the dieting in a year's time.

IMPORTANT: exercise doesn't reduce fat nearly as much as reducing calories. You'd have to exercise frantically for many hours to lose the calories gained by a cheeseburger and fries.

Calorie control is most important but individual so that you have to experiment to see what's best for you. A good starting point for a 300 lb person trying to reach 140 lbs would be maybe 1200 calories per day. When your weight is stabilized from the sodium gains, you should expect to become more slender at a safe rate of about one lb per week. Much more than that, and you would trigger off too many stress hormones.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:40 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Im not pretending squat. But 10 lbs is a normal bloat from exercise or natural weight variation. I am entertaining possible reasons with the information at hand.

The bloating from exercise is a under discussed topic. So is normal weight fluctuation. This situation is exactly why I think that diet blurb of only weighing in 1x a week or 1x a month is stupid. More data means a more accurate way to find the reason for the scale hopping up.
10lbs is a little high for normal weight variation not unless the person is obese.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
10lbs is a little high for normal weight variation not unless the person is obese.

Its normal. The OP is obese. I am not but I also throw on about 7 around that lovely hormone time. If I go salt crazy its an easy 10.

Did You Know: Your Weight Can Fluctuate 2-10lbs weekly and it Is Normal - Agenda Magazine

Normal Body Weight Fluctuation | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 04-14-2012, 09:47 PM

12 posts, read 19,785 times
Default Eat less

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
How do your pants fit around the waist? If they are OK around the waist can the weight gain be from increased leg muscle? Were you eating more as a result of being hungrier from working out? Did your food choices or food intake change?
I think that's whats going on. If you eat more just because you're working out, you're defeating the purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness