Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 02:09 PM

343 posts, read 1,313,928 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I am here to share my thoughts on running/walking. I've never really worked out all my life except for ocassional hobby swimming. With the goal of getting back in shape, I chose running. I must say I'm freaking loving it!
I started a month ago and do 2 miles daily, except for saturdays.

I just want to share my observations and get your thoughts on them:
  • I've lost weight in one month - about 5-8 pounds
  • my arms were flabby, now they look a little better
  • i'm a full-time student and i am seeing more concentration in my studies. I'm getting things done faster and more efficiently
  • my ankles hurt
  • i'm happier in general
  • my stamina has increased
  • i sleep better
Does anyone have suggestions on how to tone my upper body, especially arms? will I be able to run more with practice? How fast, do you think, I can reach 5-6 miles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 02:17 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehs View Post
Hey guys,

I am here to share my thoughts on running/walking. I've never really worked out all my life except for ocassional hobby swimming. With the goal of getting back in shape, I chose running. I must say I'm freaking loving it!
I started a month ago and do 2 miles daily, except for saturdays.

I just want to share my observations and get your thoughts on them:
  • I've lost weight in one month - about 5-8 pounds
  • my arms were flabby, now they look a little better
  • i'm a full-time student and i am seeing more concentration in my studies. I'm getting things done faster and more efficiently
  • my ankles hurt
  • i'm happier in general
  • my stamina has increased
  • i sleep better
Does anyone have suggestions on how to tone my upper body, especially arms? will I be able to run more with practice? How fast, do you think, I can reach 5-6 miles?
Good work! For your arms, start with doing pushups, 3 sets in addition to your running. As you get stronger, you might want to start adding in a weight training program a couple times a week. But initially, I would just knock out pushups. With consistent training, you could feasibly be up to 5-6 miles within a few months, 6 months would be very doable. If you would like a program to follow, the Couch to 5K is an awesome one. Several people I know have done it with great success.
Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan

Old 04-13-2012, 04:44 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
nice post. Point #3 (mental focus) is an underappreciated and overlooked benefit of running IMO. You should try to gradually keep increasing your distance. The usual rule of thumb is no more than 10 percent increase per week, although I think especially if you're young you can have a breakthru day when you're feeling good, where you get a big increase in distance.

If you're interested in losing weight, long slow running is the best IMO. According to what I've read this tends to tap into using fat as energy instead of (carb-derived) glycogen.

My advice as always is to avoid running on pavement, which is very tough on joints and feet. Find some grass or dirt on which to do your running, otherwise you could do more harm than good.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Good work! For your arms, start with doing pushups, 3 sets in addition to your running. As you get stronger, you might want to start adding in a weight training program a couple times a week. But initially, I would just knock out pushups. With consistent training, you could feasibly be up to 5-6 miles within a few months, 6 months would be very doable. If you would like a program to follow, the Couch to 5K is an awesome one. Several people I know have done it with great success.
Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan
rnc, thanks.
Push -ups it is! Thanks a lot. I will start from tommorow.

I'm hoping to reach 5-6 miles within 2 months actually. I will keep you all posted

Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
nice post. Point #3 (mental focus) is an underappreciated and overlooked benefit of running IMO. You should try to gradually keep increasing your distance. The usual rule of thumb is no more than 10 percent increase per week, although I think especially if you're young you can have a breakthru day when you're feeling good, where you get a big increase in distance.

If you're interested in losing weight, long slow running is the best IMO. According to what I've read this tends to tap into using fat as energy instead of (carb-derived) glycogen.

My advice as always is to avoid running on pavement, which is very tough on joints and feet. Find some grass or dirt on which to do your running, otherwise you could do more harm than good.
wutitz, thanks. #3 is what is giving me the most benefits. I am really surprised at the way my brain functions now. Things that were very hard for me now, are not even worth spending time. I can definitely see the difference.
I'm in my late 20's and female, so hopefully I come in the category of young, I will wait for my break thru day . Actually, I've noticed that on some days, I can run very easily and some days, I cannot cover even a mile.
I'm not concentrating on losing weight. My goals is more stamina, better shape and mental focus(did not know this benefit before I started running).
I use a running track for my running. I believe this is pavement? I don't think I can find grass or dirt

Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehs View Post
rnc, thanks.
Push -ups it is! Thanks a lot. I will start from tommorow.

I'm hoping to reach 5-6 miles within 2 months actually. I will keep you all posted
... just go out and run 6 miles. You might hurt a little after, but you can do it. Two months is a long time to train for only 5 miles..

Old 04-14-2012, 04:51 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
... just go out and run 6 miles. You might hurt a little after, but you can do it. Two months is a long time to train for only 5 miles..
Not everyone can do that. Sometimes people need more time to get to longer distances. I do agree that 2 months is a long time to train for that. I think just adding a 1/2 mile every time they run will get them there.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Totally disagree. I usually tell people who never have never run to start with a 400 meter run, about 1/4th mile or about 2.5 city blocks. The general rule of thumb from most coaches is not to increase mileage by more than 10 percent per week. Following this rule, a person who starts out at 400 meters would be at 857 meters, or just over 1/2 mile after 2 months. It varies greatly by individual of course but two months is nothing when it comes to distance running.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
That sounds scary to me. I might injure myself. But,I'm going to target 5 miles in 1-2 months.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not everyone can do that. Sometimes people need more time to get to longer distances. I do agree that 2 months is a long time to train for that. I think just adding a 1/2 mile every time they run will get them there.
So hopefully, I can get there in 1 month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness