Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I doubt that running is bad for the joints...I suspect that the people with the worst joint problems are those who have been sedentary.
And if those people decide to start running, they can do serious damage if they're not careful in how they go about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Here's my problem. I am losing weight while running. However, recently it seems like every few exercise sessions my knee "pops" and begins experiencing pain. I don't want to push it to destruction, but I just can't make headway if I have to keep taking 3-7 days off from exercising so often.
Do some other kind of exercise...walking, swimming, etc. Swimming is supposed to be especially good for your health.

Also, have you changed your diet? You shouldn't be trying to lose weight with just exercise alone.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:05 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,091 times
Quote:
I will try bicycle I guess. I am not in a situation where I can run on dirt or roads either unless I just do back and forth for about 50 feet over and over again. I have access to an elliptical, but I never really feel balanced enough on it to crank it up.

My only concern with the bicycle is if there are any long term effects to a guy riding a bicycle with a woman's seat on it? That's really my only option, and it becomes pretty painful after 20-30 minutes.
The elliptical can feel a little awkward at first but developing good balance is a secondary and very important benefit. I don't use the handles, I use my core muscles to maintain balance. Make sure you have plenty of resistance, this will help with stability.

I didn't know there was such as thing as a woman's bike seat! Any seat will hurt after 20-30 minutes when you are first starting out. But if you ride 3-4 times a week your butt will get used to it. You can also buy a gel seat cover that helps and get padded riding pants.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:53 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Quote:
Here's my problem. I am losing weight while running. However, recently it seems like every few exercise sessions my knee "pops" and begins experiencing pain. I don't want to push it to destruction, but I just can't make headway if I have to keep taking 3-7 days off from exercising so often.

You should go to your doctor for a check up because of the pop and pain. Its better to catch an injury that is new. You doctor can give you some leg/knee strengthening exercises after have ensured your knee isn't damaged.

I really suggest to not run but get your cardio from lower impact workouts as already suggested. Even lightweight people have issues with knees from running. It is can be hard on the body.

I would really stick to watching how you eat until you get a check up. If you knee is already damaged you do not want to exercise on it at all.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:45 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
And if those people decide to start running, they can do serious damage if they're not careful in how they go about it.

agreed. I know at least one guy who ran five miles/day, thought he was doing the right thing by working out & pushing himself, and just wound up tearing up his knees. IMO the great key is to avoid running on pavement. I've been running for 35 years w/ no knee problems by sticking mostly to dirt, grass, etc. If I do feel a twinge of knee pain I take a couple rest days.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:30 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
The best advice is to listen to your body. Adjust your routine accordingly. If your knees are hurting find alternative forms of cardio and incorporate some weight training so you can build up some lean muscle while you are unable to run as much.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness