Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 03:05 PM

228 posts, read 421,692 times

Advertisements

I am interested in the P90X program, but I read in a previous thread that the diet that accompanies the program is a major factor in whether or not there will be success. When I looked over the program, the supplements, especially shakes, seemed to be a major player when it came to achieving noticeable muscle definition.

My problem is I have major food allergies. I can't have milk, eggs, or soy, amongst many other things. Those are the biggies, though, and they (soy, actually) are what I see in supplements. My diet is pretty darned good, I don't buy any pre-packaged processed foods, I don't eat fried foods, and the only "sweets" I can have without punishment are fruits (some of them). Mainly I use vegan recipes so I can easily avoid dairy and eggs, and then I leave out the soy products or I substitute them with real meat (if that is what they are replacing).

In the end, I wouldn't know how to replace supplements within my diet. I bulk very quickly, but don't "lean out" as well as I would like. Most folks I have met that have lean muscular definition are marathon runners or they use supplements. I am already thin and in shape, 5'7" with my weight between 125-135 pounds. I want to try the P90X program to achieve definition, but I'm afraid it will just be a loss if I can't do the supplements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 03:11 PM

968 posts, read 2,589,330 times
The shakes are basically just protein. Find another way to get the required amount of protein.

Really P90x is just another simple concept with a fancy name.

When you eat a proper diet theres no need for even a multi vitamin.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,480 times
Riot, you definitely can get those results without taking the supplements! Good nutrition and diet are a part of any good fitness program but that does not mean doing the program will not give you results. The company has done a lot of research in the science of nutrition and their supplements are a high quality. My advice to you is to try it. It is only 90 days and you can get your money back if you find you don't like it....but it does work!
Crusted, you are mistaken about the shakes being just protein. Check out the websites and you will see all that Shakeology consists of .....more then the average person can eat in a day.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:44 AM

170 posts, read 635,090 times
You don't need the Beachbody Supplement to get results. I will admit Shakeology is pretty good and I take it from time to time but I have found that once you change your eating habits for the better then supplemenst are not needed as much.

I used to be a BB coach and IMO some of there products ( some not all) are overpriced and overrated.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:58 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,497 times
Riot, you don't need any of the supplements. I am on day 60 of P90x and don't use the shakeology or the recovery drink - the 2 that will get "pimped" the most. I do use a recovery drink by VegaSport which I like.

They will provide a nutrition guide and it does not include the shakeology as a 'required' meal. I highly recommend the program. I have lost 20lbs and at least one pant size in 60 days.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
Man, most supplements or maybe all of them are overrated to me. I've worked out, and trained in all sorts of exercises and martial arts without them.

I put on muscle without supplements. You'll do fine.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:39 PM

228 posts, read 421,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Riot, you don't need any of the supplements. I am on day 60 of P90x and don't use the shakeology or the recovery drink - the 2 that will get "pimped" the most. I do use a recovery drink by VegaSport which I like.

They will provide a nutrition guide and it does not include the shakeology as a 'required' meal. I highly recommend the program. I have lost 20lbs and at least one pant size in 60 days.
Good news to me! I guess that was the answer that I was looking for, whether or not the supplements are so built into the program that I couldn't get around them or have any hope for the same results in muscle definition without them. I am certain my diet will take some tweaking, though, since it is not perfect by any means. I'm also just doing yoga now (I used to run), so I want to experiment with something a little more, er, aggressive.

Awesome results, btw.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:54 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,943 times
If you're trying to gain you will need lots of protein and if that isn't working enough do less of the cardio work and more of the strength building

Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riotsquirrelz View Post
Good news to me! I guess that was the answer that I was looking for, whether or not the supplements are so built into the program that I couldn't get around them or have any hope for the same results in muscle definition without them. I am certain my diet will take some tweaking, though, since it is not perfect by any means. I'm also just doing yoga now (I used to run), so I want to experiment with something a little more, er, aggressive.

Awesome results, btw.
Yoga was, well still is, a challenge for me but it is very rewarding. Make sure you focus on diet, it is definitely important; especially getting enough calories. They have recommended ranges based on weight, etc. Try to stick pretty close to that. Otherwise, you'll have some difficulty completing some of the work-outs.

Good luck!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:49 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
p90x changed my life and I couldnt be more greatful. In the last year, I did p90x twice and lost 61 lbs of fat, added lots of lean muscle, got in great shape, cut my body fat from 33% to 11%, got my cholesterol and blood pressure at ideal levels. The list goes on and on. Its a great program that works for anyone willing to put in the work. With that said, nutrition is probably about 80% of your success and its very important. I just finished p90x2 and its a great extension of the orginal program.

FWIW, p90x2 has a new nutritional plan, with vegeterian and gluten free options. If you want the results, you want to follow their nutrition - it will really maximize your results. AS for supplements, I use whey protein simply because it is near impossible for me to get the same amount of protein from solid foods, which is better but not very feasible or cost effective. There are vegeterian proteins from several different companies that are not based aon animal products or soy. I also use multivitamins, fish oil to get my omegas in and recovery drink after the workout.

The recovery drink can be substituted with choclate milk and anything else that has 4:1 carb to protein ration or at least close to it. The reason i use recovery drink is that it makes a huge difference in muscle soreness as well as readiness for the next workout. It simply speeds up the recovery process. Ive talked to people who did p90x and didnt use any supplements at all, but they did follow the nutritional plan. THe only people who dont get fantastic results doing p90x, are either lazy or do not follow the nutrition included with the program. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness