Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 AM

170 posts, read 634,903 times

Advertisements

Does anyone do it? And if so what kind of results are you seeing. Right now I run and Lift 3 days a week for 1-1.5 hours each day and I play BBALL two days out the week. I am looking to do something that is as effective ( as lifting and running) but done in less time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 07:31 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
What do you mean by "functional training"? What are your goals (i.e., strength building, fat loss, bodybuilding)?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:59 AM

Prob Fat loss..Although I found that I mainly lose weight by what I eat. I just think I spend more time in the gym than I have to. I would prefer to do more of a full body type workout so I won't have to do cardio and weights separate.

Sometimes I am too worn out to do one right after the other.

I have been doing a little reading online and funtional training seems to be mentioned quite often.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:01 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
Also depends on how old you are and what your long term goals are. Been doing a lot of reading on this subject and the more I read and use myself as a guinea pig I have found that 45 minute workouts are about all you need. Actually got strongest by working out only 2 days a week and letting myself rest for 3 days between workouts. The other thing that helps me is doing mobility drills on the days I don't workout. Do these right after waking up and it helps keep me loose.

One other thing that really helps is having a calender. All workout routines work, for about 6 weeks. So map out over the year what your goals are. Personally I only do a couple of 6 week intensive strength or hypertrophy blocks a year. Rest of the year I just do bodyweight and kettlebell exercises plus my chosen sport.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:06 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
What has always worked for me is separaton of cardio and strength training workouts. My cardio is almost always done first thing in the morning, with strength or WOD or whatever else laters in the afternoon or evening. You can do HIIT as your cardio and have it done in like 30 minutes.

Sounds like you dont really know what "functional training" is. Probably read it on some website/magazine somewhere.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:27 AM

I prob dont really know what it is. I just think there has to be a better way to w/o without spending all day in the gym

Old 04-20-2012, 08:31 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,397 times
Yes. Separation of conditioning and strength training will yield optimal results.

If you don't know what you're wanting to improve then you don't need to know what 'functional' training is.

Essentially, it's a made up term to make people think that what they're doing.. will make them "grab the wheaties box from the top shelf" easier (quoted from sandiacrossfit.com).

...or sledging tires/carrying sandbags...

You know what helps me ruck better? Rucking. . . and separate strength workouts..separate from conditioning. Want to chop wood better? Chop more wood. Want to carry the couch better? Strength train.

Kettlebell exercises are no better than regular dumb bells/barbells...maybe for the advanced lifter, but for novice/intermediate lifters.. the training intensity/frequency/volume/programming isn't even sufficient to yield results usually... so wearing toe shoes and swinging a kettlebell is no more efficient than wearing chuck taylors and squatting.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:07 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
You can incorporate combination moves for strength training that works multiple areas at one time.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:05 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daellis99 View Post
Does anyone do it? And if so what kind of results are you seeing. Right now I run and Lift 3 days a week for 1-1.5 hours each day and I play BBALL two days out the week. I am looking to do something that is as effective ( as lifting and running) but done in less time.
I would try for a few weeks to incorporate lots of compound and plyometric movements. Get rid of any isolation type movements (think curls, tricep extensions...) in your routine. If you are trying to bodybuild, they are effective, otherwise they are not very efficient in terms of overall body fitness and strength. Exercises I would focus on...

Squats
Deadlifts
Pullups
Dips
Bench press
Push ups
Standing shoulder press
Squat-Press
Hang cleans
Buprees
Jump squats
Box jumps

Olympic lifts are incredible for full body conditioning. However, I haven't done them enough to really have proper form so I am nervous about trying to go heavy with them.

One of my favorite workouts is a circuit style routine something like this for my upper body, it takes me less than 30min. I try not to rest in between sets. I shoot for sets of 6-8 except for the back extentions and the hanging knee raises, I usually do at least ten with slow strict form. I rest for a couple minutes at the end of each round. I like to go at a time when the gym is light so that jump around and not wait for anything.

3 rounds of...
Dumbbell bench press
One armed rows
Dumbbell shoulder press
Pullups
Dips
Roman chair extensions
Hanging knee raises

Finish with a Squat-Press tabata to end with a tough cardio. I typically only do the olympic bar.

I am wasted at the end of this workout.

Last edited by rnc76; 04-20-2012 at 11:16 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 11:05 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,039 times
p90x2 is all about functional training. Just finished the program and my athletic performance is through the roof. THeir phase 3 is focused on post activation potentiation training P.A.P and its simply brilliant. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness