Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:27 AM

326 posts, read 704,247 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is using the Insanity exercise program - she says she gets tired from it but isn't seeing the same results as her husband. I am suspecting that her heart rate rises to quickly stopping her routine short of burning the glucose and glycogen in her muscles.

What should she do if that is indeed the case - if she continues will her heart rate tolerance improve? Or should she try going lower or even higher intensity?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
I think that she's not eating the right types of food to help promote weight loss. It more than likely has NOTHING to do with where her heart rate is. She's more than likely eating crappy food still, or she half-assing it through the routines. How long have they been on this routine? She needs to give a another couple of months and definitely needs to watch what she's eating. If she doesnt start to see results by then, she should switch to another program that is PROVEN to work - P90x. She WILL DEFINITELY see results on this, providing that she cleans up her nutrition intake and follows the plan as it is supposed to be followed.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 AM

Insanity is from the P90x creator and I think it supposed to be more cardio than P90x or something like that... I won't deny diet is important - but for now I'll assume that is not the problem

Old 04-23-2012, 10:32 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Its far better to make the assumption that what I mentioned IS the problem than where her heart rate is.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:54 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,148 times
Contrary to what market ploys and big box gym trainers want you to think, Lao is totally right. I'll bet she isn't eating ENOUGH.

There is no friggin "zone" for your heart rate. The only time I monitor a clients heart rate is if there is some contraindication. Or if we are doing a test like a VO2 max.

Train hard, eat right, and don't worry about your heart rate.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:07 PM

Thanks for your input -- as they say -- start with the simplest explanation first and work from there ...

Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times
Well, depending on your heart rate your body uses a different energy system

Old 04-24-2012, 08:41 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,665 times
Insanity is all cardio, and its pretty intense at that. People are different, so even if she works out at the same intensity as her hubby, he may see the results alot sooner than she does. Interesting comment on the heart rate from the poster above. I always monitor my heart rate during cardio workouts, not so much to ensure that im in the "zone" but to make sure I dont bust my max heart rate. When I first did insanity, I had my heart rate in the 190s, 4 times during warm up. I love working out, just dont want to die doing it.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
Insanity is all cardio, and its pretty intense at that. People are different, so even if she works out at the same intensity as her hubby, he may see the results alot sooner than she does. Interesting comment on the heart rate from the poster above. I always monitor my heart rate during cardio workouts, not so much to ensure that im in the "zone" but to make sure I dont bust my max heart rate. When I first did insanity, I had my heart rate in the 190s, 4 times during warm up. I love working out, just dont want to die doing it.
If you are at your max heart rate during a warm up, then its not really a warm up.

Seems to me that you have yet to master the skill of paying attention to your own body.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
Misiu - did you complete the insanity course - if so did you see results and did your heart rate tolerance improve? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness