Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:06 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times

Advertisements

I was trying to go from a 0 to 25k in about 6 months and it was just impossible for me. It wasn't so much the fact that I couldn't do it physically, it was more that I was overworking myself to get on track to run it and just getting a different injury almost every time I went out.

Make sure to stretch and stay aware of your body. Pushing yourself to the limit is very important when working out, but don't overwork yourself without rest and injure yourself, that's counter productive.

As long as you stay healthy, eat well and get the necessary rest there is absolutely no reason you won't be able to do the 5k. Honestly, I think you'll be able to do a lot better than 45 min!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 01:05 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,380 times
The main thing is avoid getting injured. Otherwise, nothing should be able to stop you. Don't add too many miles all at once, don't dramatically increase frequency, make sure you have suitable shoes, and above all listen to your body. Consistently run at least 3 times a week, and gradually build up to being able to get through 5 miles for your longest weekly run and still having a little energy left over. If you just want to get through the 5k in one piece and beat the walkers, it's probably not even necessary to get up to 5 miles. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2012, 01:11 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
Do you think I could be ready for a 5K by mid October?
Absolutely! Be consistent, but give yourself one rest day a week. Walk/run outdoors, too, to get the feel of the road under your feet.

Good luck!

Old 04-29-2012, 01:36 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
A 5K is only about 2.5 miles... You are only 36, you could do this practically in your sleep. Look up cool runnings, couch to 5K.

You do have to push yourself to improve. OK, you can walk on the treadmill, next plan out some real world 5 mile walks in your neighborhood. It's summer and the weather is good. Get outside. Walk a little more every day till you can easily walk 5 miles. This shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 weeks.

Once you have that down, you start running. When you get tired, you walk. Over time you improve to the point where you are running more than walking. When you get to the point where you can run for more than 1/2 your route, you have done your 5K.

Buy decent shoes. 2 different pairs if you can afford it so you can alternate. I found an ipod to be a great accessory and it makes me run faster. Or you could even put an audiobook on it. Carry water if it's at all warm.

I despise all exercise. I started walking at 48 after a 100lb weight loss. The running thing was completely accidental. I ran because I resented the time it took to walk 5 miles. I kept trying to do it faster. Then I had my little epiphany that made me keep it up. If I was running, I could pretty much eat as I pleased.

You should be able to do this easily!

Old 04-29-2012, 01:54 PM

17,372 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
A 5K is only about 2.5 miles...
5K is a little bit longer than that - roughly 3.1 miles.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:44 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
A 5K is only about 2.5 miles... You are only 36, you could do this practically in your sleep. Look up cool runnings, couch to 5K.
We've got the coolguy athlete here.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:51 PM

297 posts, read 743,193 times
You absolutely can do it. And you'll get addicted to it. The energy makes it so much fun! Good luck.

(I also lost a similar amount of weight, and have run several 5K's. I started out using the Couch to 5K program).

Old 05-01-2012, 12:45 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
The typical Couch to 5k program is 12 weeks IIRC so you have plenty of time to build up your walking some and then do the C25k program or really you can start it right now and we how it goes.

I'm a guy but I was 240 when I stared the program in June of 2010 and could just barely run the 60 seconds from the week one program and slow pace at that. I ran my first real 5k race in September and finished in maybe 35 minutes and weighed 210. Another month later I weighed 205 and broke 30 minutes. I then started mixing in longer runs and worked my way up to 10ks on the weekends and signed up for a half marathon the following March. I finished it in 2:02 and change and weighed 185.

The main thing, especially at first is to make sure you have a day of rest between workout days or at least don't run on consecutive days, do upper body if you want on the off days. Once you build it up, then you can start working out more, just make sure to listen to your body and do not be completely discouraged on minor setbacks.

Congrats so far and good luck.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
The typical Couch to 5k program is 12 weeks IIRC so you have plenty of time to build up your walking some and then do the C25k program or really you can start it right now and we how it goes.

I'm a guy but I was 240 when I stared the program in June of 2010 and could just barely run the 60 seconds from the week one program and slow pace at that. I ran my first real 5k race in September and finished in maybe 35 minutes and weighed 210. Another month later I weighed 205 and broke 30 minutes. I then started mixing in longer runs and worked my way up to 10ks on the weekends and signed up for a half marathon the following March. I finished it in 2:02 and change and weighed 185.

The main thing, especially at first is to make sure you have a day of rest between workout days or at least don't run on consecutive days, do upper body if you want on the off days. Once you build it up, then you can start working out more, just make sure to listen to your body and do not be completely discouraged on minor setbacks.

Congrats so far and good luck.
That is a pretty good success story right there. couch to 13.1 miles in a little less than a year, if I read your post right.

One good thing about running is that there such a wide range of goals one can set. You can get to the point where you run 5K in 30 minutes or so and call it good. You'll still get health benefits and be in better shape than 99% of your friends. Or you can keep going to 10Ks, half marathon, full marathon, or ultras. Or stick to the 5K's and just try to run them faster.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:52 PM

155 posts, read 252,577 times
You know, you can actually go out and do 5k right now. You dont have to run the entire thing, but you can and should definitely start training 5k right away. Use MapMyRun to find a good 5k loop close to where you live. Make that loop your training ground asap. Start out jogging, then walking, the jogging, then running again and again. Before you know it, you'll be jogging the entire 5k distance. It really is not at all that far. You can very easily walk 5k right now. Just start training on running until you get tired, then walk until you are able to run again.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness