Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 01:42 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times

Advertisements

What is so hard to believe about doing 100 pull ups? I am not doing it in a row but in sets of ten. I've just been doing it too fast over the course of twenty mins, probably taking less than sixty seconds rest between each one.

I end up doing more on a caffeine binge.

My arms are extremely sore so I've stopped to recover.

It might be bad form too. I get into an L shape position with my legs up or crossed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 07:07 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Not necessarily. The back is a really large muscle group and is able to be trained multiple times per week.
i actually meant its my general rule not "the rule." which isnt totally accurate for me since i have a 4 day rotation and i lift 5 days a week. so one of my routines is usually done twice in a week.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times
"I can do over 500 pull ups, is that good?.... I don't know??? Doing them in an L...is that bad form???"

Come on man. It's obvious you're trying to passive brag through "being ignorant"

Old 04-29-2012, 11:25 AM

What the heck? I'm nit bragging. I'm making myself look like an idiot fit doing too many and messing up my workout routine. My arms are so darn sore I can barely do one pull up without my Arms feeling Luke they're gonna fall off.

Also I doubt I was going down all the way. It was more like a half pull up.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:16 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
What the heck? I'm nit bragging. I'm making myself look like an idiot fit doing too many and messing up my workout routine. My arms are so darn sore I can barely do one pull up without my Arms feeling Luke they're gonna fall off.

Also I doubt I was going down all the way. It was more like a half pull up.

Don't sweat it, just keep up the hard work. How long have you been doing this stuff? My guess is that you aren't injuring yourself and that you're just sore.

It is very normal if you're just starting a routine to be really sore. Unless you're hurting in your joints I wouldn't worry too much at all.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:11 PM

165 posts, read 405,770 times
I average more than that on back day. I do 4 sets of 8 with a standard overhand grip. I then do seated rows. That is followed up with 4 sets of 8 pull ups with a narrow v-bar grip. Next comes bent rows. That is followed by 4 sets of 8 with a wider neutral grip. Next is dead lifts. I then do the last round of 4 sets of 8 with standard overhand pullups, but I do the "L sit" I finish off back with barbell shrugs. I have found this to provide the best growth for me at this time. Once progress stops, I will change it up to something different, but this is working right now.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,328 times
I think it would help your strength more to be doing heavy bench presses and shoulder presses than to be doing ridiculous numbers of pushups and pullups.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:57 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,148 times
presses and pulls work totally different muscle groups, presses work tris, delts, pecs, typically. Pulls work back, and bis, typically.

As a general rule 20 to 60 reps per muscle group in a given workout is sufficient. Try doing weighted pull ups, or plyo pull ups for an added challenge.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:12 PM

7,181 posts, read 9,228,608 times
Muscle soreness usually heals in 1-3 days. Joint problems can take weeks or longer to heal up. A torn muscle? I don't know.

If the sore muscles are feeling better just before you work out again then it probably is muscle soreness. If the pain keeps getting worse you are probably overtraining.

OP. It's OK to ask on an internet board. But if you really want answers to your questions you should look into hiring a trainer temporarily. Look over several. Talk with a few of them before choosing.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 PM

The pain seems to only be when I do pull ups. It started on Saturday. I let it heal on sunday and was doing some pull ups today, but it really really hurt after the last pull up set of 5. I did 30 without much pain at all and was doing push ups on the Iron Gym the whole time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness