Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:47 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
see, i knew we would agree on something eventualy.

Funny how the only thing you could agree on was someone being completely sarcastic about something that really doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:06 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
My beef with the place is that it allows people to not see progress. I am far from a big guy, there are always guys who lift a ton more than me and when I go and see someone bigger than me, I don't go in a corner and cry and wish I had a gym where everyone else was fat. I look at the guy and say I want to get like that and I work out harder. People who are fit and in shape are very rare the guys who are mean, I have found the most bitter people rude people ARE the fat people. They end up being jealous and find ways to look down or be mean to the people who are in shape. Just look at these messageboards and see the things people on here say about good looking people.
Just because there's no scale, people can't see progress? People can keep track of their own workouts and see their own progress. If someone can only run a mile one day and the next day they run 2...gee...I'd say that's progress.

I hope looking down your nose at those who are not into YOUR fitness routine makes you feel better.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
I don't understand the anger. I would never work out at a Planet Fitness, but of course they aren't marketing to me. I don't understand why the OP cares so much.

I also would like to point out that I have never seen a fat person get laughed at in a gym. Right now I am at a gym that caters to heavy lifters with only about 20 cardio machines; prior to this one I was a chain. Never saw any laughter so I think that is a myth.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:29 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,865 times
I don't think the original person cared all that much, they just saw something they thought was stupid/funny and decided to talk about it and all the humorless dullards on this forum jumped all over him about it.

Last edited by 1208; 05-06-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 05:52 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,849,503 times
Quote:
There is a gym called Planet Fitness near where I live. This place doesn't allow you to bring in water bottles over 20oz, you can't make loud noise and there are no scales. They have "no judgement zones" and other things like this. I'm sorry, but this is flat out PATHETIC. I can't imagine anyone who would want to go to a place like this. You are going to a gym to better yourself and work out hard and these people don't even have high weight dumbells. I don't understand why anyone would want to go to a place that preaches mediocracy and preaches to not work out that hard.

This place should be going out of business. What do you guys think about this??

there is a planet fitness where I live (Greenville, sc ). seems to be a rather lage chain of gyms but yea of the 3 people i know who have memberships all 3 are women in their mid to late 40s who are not exactly in great shape to be kind about it.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:01 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
I don't think the original person cared all that much, they just saw something they thought was stupid/funny and decided to talk about it and all the humorless dullards on this forum jumped all over him about it.
Thank you

Old 05-08-2012, 12:19 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
There is a gym called Planet Fitness near where I live. This place doesn't allow you to bring in water bottles over 20oz, you can't make loud noise and there are no scales. They have "no judgement zones" and other things like this. I'm sorry, but this is flat out PATHETIC. I can't imagine anyone who would want to go to a place like this. You are going to a gym to better yourself and work out hard and these people don't even have high weight dumbells. I don't understand why anyone would want to go to a place that preaches mediocracy and preaches to not work out that hard.

This place should be going out of business. What do you guys think about this??
And the fact that they make all these people go to it is just horrible.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:29 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Planet Fitness caters to three kinds of people:

1) "Cardio Queens" - those girls that go to the gym and do nothing but the treadmill. Maybe on occasion they will play with the 5lb dumbbells to 'tone up'.
2) Teenagers (Planet Fitness allows 16 year olds to have memberships). Part of the reason why free weight bars and heavy dumbbells were removed is so these 16 year old show offs can't hurt themselves and sue the chain.
3) Overweight & out of shape people.

It's sad actually since there was a time that Planet Fitness had free weights, and a good mix of people of all body sizes from skinny to fat to really muscular. The Planet Fitness I used to go to had dumbbells over 65lbs, bench press, curling bars, etc until the end of 2010.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:42 PM

758 posts, read 1,639,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

It's sad actually since there was a time that Planet Fitness had free weights, and a good mix of people of all body sizes from skinny to fat to really muscular. The Planet Fitness I used to go to had dumbbells over 65lbs, bench press, curling bars, etc until the end of 2010.
With the qualification that the bench press is a Smith Machine as opposed to free-standing bar...this is how my PF is (currently almost halfway through 2012). I know that PF has franchise opportunities, so each individual gym should vary (at least somewhat) by the owner.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:37 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
With the qualification that the bench press is a Smith Machine as opposed to free-standing bar...this is how my PF is (currently almost halfway through 2012). I know that PF has franchise opportunities, so each individual gym should vary (at least somewhat) by the owner.
No no this was a real legit free standing bench press bar and rack ... they had 3 until the end of 2010 when they removed them and added 1 more Smith machine for a total of 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness