Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:27 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The PF that I used to belong to didn't allow bandanas, period. Color or pattern made no difference. Are you sure that isn't the case with your friend?
They told her she could wear an item in the same shape and size without that pattern.

Does the Barbie gang use pink bandanas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:10 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
nobody mocks or intimidates other gym members. that would be an extremely rare occurence by a real jerk. this insecure feeling is internal for the pathetic person.
Ok sure...

I have seen it quite a few times, in various gyms across the country. Fat people are mocked and ridiculed for being fat and lazy, yet when they go to the gym to fix it, they are STILL mocked and ridiculed; no wonder they get fed up and go back home and watch TV. It's rude and b*tchy and quite frankly a true sign of someone who is either an idiot, or is packing tiny equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think the fat look is repulsive, why would someone be lazy enough to get like that?

Either way, most out of shape people use that as an excuse to feel better about themselves because they're too lazy or uncoordinated to even get a remotely decent body.

My post wasn't about looking exactly like them, but those people whether you want to admit it or not are in top shape.. and that could definitely be inspiration. I guess something like that went waaaay over your head but I guess that's to be expected.
Bully for you. Want a protein cookie?

No, not all people who say they don't want to be ripped are out of shape or lazy or unhealthy. I am sitting at less than 15% body fat, and I hate meat head gyms. The testostorone waifting through the air is enough to gag a horse, not to mention if you aren't in the meathead group, you are weak or wussy or a woman (and I have personally been told this) "gyms are for men, yoga is for b*tches"; never mind the fact, these idiots that were spewing that mess couldn't put their arms down to their waists, or touch their own toes, or anything flexable or athletic that required flexability.

I disagree that the typical meathead gym rat is in top shape. IMO top shape is the total package of strength, flexability, muscle, and stamina. Think Olympic triathlete, now that's TRUE top shape!

Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Ok sure...

I have seen it quite a few times, in various gyms across the country. Fat people are mocked and ridiculed for being fat and lazy, yet when they go to the gym to fix it, they are STILL mocked and ridiculed; no wonder they get fed up and go back home and watch TV. It's rude and b*tchy and quite frankly a true sign of someone who is either an idiot, or is packing tiny equipment.
I go to your typical "meathead gym" and there are fat people who go there also. I have never once seen any guys mocking the other out of shape people around there. Everyone is there to get in shape and willing to work out hard.

There will be jerks anywhere you go, but I bet if a really big guy walked into a planet fitness there'd be just as many fat people to make a snide comment about how he looks like a meathead as there would be in shape guys laughing at a fat person.

Quote:
Bully for you. Want a protein cookie?

No, not all people who say they don't want to be ripped are out of shape or lazy or unhealthy. I am sitting at less than 15% body fat, and I hate meat head gyms. The testostorone waifting through the air is enough to gag a horse, not to mention if you aren't in the meathead group, you are weak or wussy or a woman (and I have personally been told this) "gyms are for men, yoga is for b*tches"; never mind the fact, these idiots that were spewing that mess couldn't put their arms down to their waists, or touch their own toes, or anything flexable or athletic that required flexability.

I disagree that the typical meathead gym rat is in top shape. IMO top shape is the total package of strength, flexability, muscle, and stamina. Think Olympic triathlete, now that's TRUE top shape!
So I'm a bully for saying that? Funny how I simply said that in response to a person who was saying a certain look is repulsive. So now a bully is a person who says something in defense and not in offense? That is news to me!

Also, weightlifting requires a lot of flexibility and you will get yourself injured if you don't stretch properly. Sounds to me like you're making just as many generalizations here, but for you it's ok. Who is the real bully?

Old 05-25-2012, 11:35 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
Quote:
There will be jerks anywhere you go, but I bet if a really big guy walked into a planet fitness there'd be just as many fat people to make a snide comment about how he looks like a meathead as there would be in shape guys laughing at a fat person.

Also, weightlifting requires a lot of flexibility and you will get yourself injured if you don't stretch properly. Sounds to me like you're making just as many generalizations here, but for you it's ok. Who is the real bully?
I will disagree with you on flexibility. If we're speaking in terms of weight lifting (olympic weight lifting), then flexibility amongst those athletes is a given. However, traditional gym-goers, most men; that go in to get big, are not flexible. At the base gym, I've seen maybe two men squat at a parallel or more. The other men, can't go that low because they are not flexible, have no mobility and they are weak/scared to go low.

Aside from squats, I see rounded backs, poor range of motion and other characteristics certain of an individual with poor flexibility. Most guys in the gym 'looking to get huge', do not stretch properly or at all.

Snide comments from the people at Planet Fitness.. that may come from the fact that body-builders, powerlifters, and weight lifters do not belong at planet fitness.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:45 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post

Snide comments from the people at Planet Fitness.. that may come from the fact that body-builders, powerlifters, and weight lifters do not belong at planet fitness.
So that gives them to the right to make remarks? It's ok for a fat person to cry if they get mocked, but if a power lifter goes to one of their places they're allowed to say whatever they want? Really?

Fat people get special treatment I guess. They are welcome in any gym. Power lifters can't go to planet fitness because it might hurt the feelings of the people that had a chronic case of hand to mouth disease.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:16 PM

Well, I don't see what a power lifter would be doing in a PF gym when the dumb bells don't go above 70 and there are no free weights. So, yes... really.

An overweight person or 'newby', can go to an average gym...because that person might have goals to lose fat, overall fitness, strength etc.

A powerlifter or olympic weight lifter has no place in PF because there is nothing there to provide for them.

I should have worded better, people aren't allowed to say whatever they want..but if it's "I wonder what he is doing here??"... it's more acceptable because it's a logical question. What is a powerlifter doing at PF? Trying to hit on the women? Trying to make himself feel better because he is stronger than everyone here?

It's okay for ANYONE to cry if their feelings are hurt. But, fat people quite often aren't being made fun of in gyms. Bodybuilders are too vain and into themselves to care at the gym. Powerlifters are ignoring everyone except the weight on the bar. Olympic weight lifters probably aren't even in your gym.

Someone that is already fit and in shape, shouldn't be complaining and moaning even if fat people are making remarks. Overweight people have a multitude of issues to deal with that, acceptably, make them more susceptible to emotional abuse. . . if you're that way, then you need to get a grip on life.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:23 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,820 times
If someone has the balls to talk smack to a powerlifter then they should be allowed to say whatever they want whenever they want

Old 05-26-2012, 04:56 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
So I'm a bully for saying that?

Who is the real bully?
Quote:
Fat people get special treatment I guess. They are welcome in any gym. Power lifters can't go to planet fitness because it might hurt the feelings of the people that had a chronic case of hand to mouth disease.
Ok kiddo, you insulted each and every person that goes to ANY gym that's not tailored around powerlifting, not to mention ALL the people that work out at gyms like PF that they were "wasting their time"nad were basically pathetic. Not to mention, you constantly insult fat people and accused everyone that doesn't work out at gyms like your of being either lazy or fat.

In fact, here is a direct quote from that first initial post of yours.

Quote:
You are going to a gym to better yourself and work out hard and these people don't even have high weight dumbells. I don't understand why anyone would want to go to a place that preaches mediocracy and preaches to not work out that hard.
First off, not everyone wants to lift weights. In fact, some of us choose NOT to do that. Shocker, I know. Some of us prefer OTHER means of exercise. Crazy huh? Not to mention, lifting weights DOES NOTHING to actually burn fat; at least nothing compared to cardio specific fat burning exercise.

I don't want to gain mass, I like lean muscle (on women and men), and not mass; why would I want to go to a gym that caters to people only there to gain mass?!

The point is, YOU were being a bully to being with with your inital post, and as usual; when the tables were turned and you were poked fun at, you got upset and accused others of bullying you.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Crazy huh? Not to mention, lifting weights DOES NOTHING to actually burn fat; at least nothing compared to cardio specific fat burning exercise.

I don't want to gain mass, I like lean muscle (on women and men), and not mass; why would I want to go to a gym that caters to people only there to gain mass?!

The point is, YOU were being a bully to being with with your inital post, and as usual; when the tables were turned and you were poked fun at, you got upset and accused others of bullying you.
Does burn fat indirectly, though.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:33 PM

104 posts, read 175,090 times
I am sure power lifters are allowed entry into any Planet Fitness they want...to do cardio. Not sure what's the problem. When I enter the weightlifting room, I would not be allowed to blast some latin music and start a zumba routine. So unfair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness